The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Mooring Awl Inner Temple Hare,

One hour later, ish, suddenly felt really tired at that point, yep another bad nights non sleep. So an instant eyelid inspection happened.

Before that I've patrolled the garden with Ben twice, been to the local farm shop for spuds (variety Nicola £5 for 25kg) and been to Tes and Co for essentials.

Passed the buy it before we bin it fridge shelves. Full of vegetarian and or expensive heavily promoted stuff like " Charlie Binghams"  pre prepared meals.

What may sell in London doesn't sell out here with our older population who know how to cook and don't follow food fads..

During the night I thought of something small I need to make for the boat... Can I remember what it was? No chance..

TIs clear blue skies here, but very windy and the temperature started dropping yesterday afternoon.. I've a muggacoffee to drink before taking Ben for his long walk.

time to... Err do now't

• Like 14
  • Friendly/supportive 5

Afternoon All,

Played some “work”- work catch-up this morning not much (although it did involve sending my clients - who made me work over the Christmas break - an invoice for gazillions of mudlling tokens :dancer:). I may move some work-like paperwork around a bit this afternoon.

@TheQ mentioned vegetarian food and food fads. Now, I love great vegetarian food - but it has to be properly vegetarian (no meat or dairy “substitutes”) so, if I may throw a small carnivorous (or more properly “omnivorous“) hand grenade into “Veganuary”, I offer the following premise: many vegetarians are still - psychologically - omnivores as they expect to be able eat meat products (burgers, sausages, bacon etc.) but made out of plant matter. Surely, I contend, a true vegetarian eschews all meat products - including “fake” meat. As evidence I offer the various cultures and religions of Asia that are truly vegetarian with nary a “fake meat item” in sight (one of my favourite breakfasts is very vegetarian: Malaysian Roti with Dhal and some fresh mango to follow).

Like the @TheQ I shun food-fads: whether vegan “cheese” (an oxymoron: highly processed, environmentally damaging and utterly disgusting) or gold-foil covered food (once restricted to dishes for major festive occasions in the Indian subcontinent [such as weddings] now embraced by chefs who really should know better but who want to remove a nice wodge of money from the culinarily clueless nouveau-riche).

Be it a traditional Cornish pasty, Nouilles fruits de mer or a nice plate of spaghetti olio aglio e peperoncino, give me traditional food (properly made, with great ingredients) - whether “Fine Dining”, “cuisine bourgeoisie” or “la cucina povera” - any day:

Time for lunch methinks!

• Like 13
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

• RMweb Gold

Morning (Pre-Munch) All!

12 hours ago, Erichill16 said:

Don’t talk to me about the current cost of building materials and for that matter the price of tradespeople. The new business premises are costing a fortune and taking and age.

It took us nearly two years to get a plasterer to actually turn up and give us a quote!     We accepted his quote straight away (well, it was the only one we'd ever had!) and I think 3 months before he could/would fit us in.  Still, 'tis done now :yahoo:

5 hours ago, chrisf said:

I send more than I get, but it is more blessed to give than to receive, is it not?

I'll have to take your word on that Chris as I'm not big on "blessings"

4 hours ago, Barry O said:

Getting 25mm by 48mmplaned would here has been difficult (and pricey). Most of it comes from Russia and is poor quality.

I long for those far-off days when you could go to a local building supplies or DIY shed and actually buy half decent timber.    It's all 6" lengths of offcuts comb jointed sticks which barely have enough strength to hold themselves together let alone provide any structural integrity to a construction!

3 hours ago, polybear said:

Bear's first step to becoming an Internet Sensation.....:yahoo:

OMG!   Not another Internet "Influencer" - can't wait :O

In the meantime

The crankshaft has been measured and photographed and the neighbour has got his Windy-gun on one of the big-end nuts.   It didn't stand a chance .......  :D    Just got to break the taper now.   Where did that hydraulic press go?

The last of the chunks of old shed have now been cut into Mondog size bits.    I foresee numerous trips to the local Tidy Tip in the week ahead.

I think it must be Munchtime.

Toodle pip!

Alan

• Like 18
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
21 minutes ago, PupCam said:
5 hours ago, Barry O said:

I long for those far-off days when you could go to a local building supplies or DIY shed and actually buy half decent timber.

Those days are not yet gone. Not only do they meet your description here but they are on the “High Street” as well!  

https://www.alsfordtimber.com/branch-locator/twickenham?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIkOmqhtKV9QIVBM53Ch1tXwQVEAAYASAAEgImrvD_BwE

Added to which we have a choice of three tool shops if one includes Screwfix. 

Postage to PupLand might be an issue.  

58 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

give me traditional food (

Not turkey bacon then?   Something I first encountered travelling through Dubai and a Muslim land where pigs are not eaten. 

It’s ok. At least it’s not the vegan “facon” 

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium
19 minutes ago, Gwiwer said:

Those days are not yet gone. Not only do they meet your description here but they are on the “High Street” as well!  

https://www.alsfordtimber.com/branch-locator/twickenham?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIkOmqhtKV9QIVBM53Ch1tXwQVEAAYASAAEgImrvD_BwE

Added to which we have a choice of three tool shops if one includes Screwfix. 

Not turkey bacon then?   Something I first encountered travelling through Dubai and a Muslim land where pigs are not eaten. 

It’s ok. At least it’s not the vegan “facon” 

Beef bacon is also available out there, not as close to the real bacon as the turkey variety.

• Like 6
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, iL Dottore said:

(one of my favourite breakfasts is very vegetarian: Malaysian Roti with Dhal and some fresh mango to follow).

Is that with chips? :laugh:

1 hour ago, iL Dottore said:

.......or gold-foil covered food (once restricted to dishes for major festive occasions in the Indian subcontinent [such as weddings] now embraced by chefs who really should know better but who want to remove a nice wodge of money from the culinarily clueless nouveau-riche).

Ah yes, clowns like "Salt Bae" - a clueless customer recently posted a scan of his bill, the service charge alone was the best part of £5K....:rofl:

https://www.mylondon.news/whats-on/whats-on-news/londoner-outraged-after-being-handed-21835106

Apparently he's ripping off those in Saudi now - not a bright idea methinks, cos' they might not take it so kindly...

1 hour ago, PupCam said:

OMG!   Not another Internet "Influencer" - can't wait :O

I can see it now - "The Wisdom of Bear...."

1 hour ago, PupCam said:

In the meantime

The crankshaft has been measured and photographed and the neighbour has got his Windy-gun on one of the big-end nuts.   It didn't stand a chance .......  :D    Just got to break the taper now.   Where did that hydraulic press go?

Three legged puller?

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Gwiwer said:

Indeed!

1 hour ago, polybear said:

Three legged puller?

Only if they are asymmetric wonky legs

48 minutes ago, Dave Hunt said:

Mutterings are being heard from the management about Christmas decorations being taken down in the near future but I think I've managed a delay for a couple of days.

I've just this very second been instructed to provide engineering support" for such an operation.

• Like 3
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 9

2 hours ago, TheQ said:

BIG NEWS!!!!

Ben is now officially a sheep dog..

We walked down the the lane no problem, ( well I'm still hobbling )

On the return 'cos I can't manage the full route, there were 5 sheep in the lane, having escaped through the electric fence. 

Ben 50ft in front of me spotted them and immediately went into the sheepdog crawl. I let him crawl till they spotted him and turned slightly toward the field. I told Ben to "sit stay" and he did.

When the sheep stopped walking, I said "walk on" and Ben continued his crouching crawl. The sheep then continued to the fence. I said, "sit stay", Ben did. 

Then I said "walk on" and Ben approached closer. The sheep forced their way through the fence and back to the flock. I told Ben to "sit stay" on the grass bank before the field . The flock walked away to the middle of the field.

Good doggy..  he got some doggy sweeties for that...

Good Doggy indeed. I am impressed.
Schotty would have simply barked his darn fool head off - despite being a Border Collie mix. 

“Working dog” are not words he recognises.

• Like 15
  • Funny 2

2 hours ago, Gwiwer said:

…Not turkey bacon then?   Something I first encountered travelling through Dubai and a Muslim land where pigs are not eaten….

2 hours ago, TheQ said:

Beef bacon is also available out there, not as close to the real bacon as the turkey variety.

I’ve tried both - I can’t say I found them more than edible, but to be fair I’ve only eaten these things on holiday as part of the breakfast buffet - so probably not top of the line items.

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 6

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. Watched the final episode of 'Murder, they hope' not as bad as the other two episodes but still not as good as the first series IMHO.

2 hours ago, TheQ said:

BIG NEWS!!!!

Ben is now officially a sheep dog..

We walked down the the lane no problem, ( well I'm still hobbling )

On the return 'cos I can't manage the full route, there were 5 sheep in the lane, having escaped through the electric fence. 

Ben 50ft in front of me spotted them and immediately went into the sheepdog crawl. I let him crawl till they spotted him and turned slightly toward the field. I told Ben to "sit stay" and he did.

When the sheep stopped walking, I said "walk on" and Ben continued his crouching crawl. The sheep then continued to the fence. I said, "sit stay", Ben did. 

Then I said "walk on" and Ben approached closer. The sheep forced their way through the fence and back to the flock. I told Ben to "sit stay" on the grass bank before the field . The flock walked away to the middle of the field.

Good doggy..  he got some doggy sweeties for that...

He must have been trained to be able to do that. Admitted going into the 'sheepdog crawl' is natural behaviour but answering your commands comes from training. Just as well Ben is trained as many dogs would have attacked those sheep which could have had dire consequences for both sheep and dog(s).

• Like 14
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

Good Afternoon 

The last day of the school holidays youngest has been finishing off homework he has been doing a little bit each day as he gets pains in his hands when writing.

@TheQ you managed to herd sheep without saying " come by"  wow

I wouldn't be going to Salt Bae 30k on wine buddy L I bought my first house for that.

Is the English translation Dick Turpin.

The cynical side of me is wondering about the level of these people going on the Tom and Dick with covid. Are they all genuinely sick or are there some skivers amongst them with Beer flu or let's have a few days off over xmas.?

• Like 14
  • Round of applause 2