The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

image.png.08c20e353e31da6e14a262165f295b3c.png

image.png.b12c54e850a99114bf322b1617372ec5.png

Good deed done today
At the local Tesco check out I was in a queue behind an old lady. Her bill came to £56.83 but when she counted out all her change she only had just under £10, I thought she was probably someone’s Nan and I’d like to think someone would have helped my Nan out when she was alive, especially around Christmas. She didn’t want me to help her but I insisted, and in no time at all we had all her shopping right back on the shelves.

At Christmas, I usually get terrible presents for my wife that she doesn’t actually want, but this year I found her Christmas list and I've got everything on it
Eggs
Milk
Bread
Butter
Bacon
Sugar
Toilet roll
She's going to be well impressed

Chris Rea and Mark Knopfler are collaborating on a Christmas charity single this year.
They are calling themselves Dire Rea.

I hate Christmas shopping for the wife, I've just wasted two hours in a queue to discover Poundland don’t do gift vouchers.

Can I just ask everyone for a big favour? Those of you who are planning to place Christmas lights/decorations in your garden can you please avoid anything that is red or blue and flashing? Every time I drive by I think it's the police and have a panic attack. I have to take my foot off of the accelerator, toss my wine, fasten my seatbelt, throw my phone on the floor, turn the radio down, push the gun under the seat and put my clothes back on. It's too much drama. Thank you for your cooperation & understanding.

My favourite Christmas story
Mary had given birth, she was tired after the delivery, both she and the baby were sleeping peacefully. There was a quiet knock on the stable door, Joseph answered and there stood three shepherds. "May we come in to see the baby?" They asked. Joseph replied, "Yes, but please be quiet, they are asleep"
The shepherds crept into the dimly lit stable. One of the shepherds, unwittingly, stood on a rake which shot up and hit him in the face. "JESUS CHRIST" he shouted in shock and pain, waking Mary and the baby. "What a nice name" said Joseph, "We were going to call him Norman.

I got a Womble pepper grinder for Christmas. It's rubbish. Everything is either underground or overground.

There are 357 days until Christmas, and people already have their Christmas lights up.

Just a reminder to anyone who had a book from me for Xmas, they are due back at the library on 13th January.

• Like 6
  • Funny 13

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Coombe Barton said:

There's always Arsenal shirts in a sports shop :)

Or on the tube station.  Beautifully juxtaposed …..  

A682DE04-4020-4D7C-B20C-BBD710F6CA24.jpeg.514f0b39cd721c22fdd1ac6444b252d5.jpeg

C03F8194-562C-46C2-B6B9-B5BB2959E020.jpeg.98f090a88080bcb66db32af857aa5eb8.jpeg

In other news have you seen the price of Pigs In Blankets lately??? :o  

99AE730B-A44B-4524-B925-7F30A0822A44.jpeg.95d9e6ef9815a8184654b60e33ed7193.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Funny 11

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon/Evening All

Mucho late today, and not all posts read or rated - however, it is my second visit - I got as far as reading about the breakfast pizza - responded, and was then "asked" if we could visit GB Antiques where 30747 didn't buy anything, but I found a few railway books that I didn't have, including a pristine copy of Donald Binns' "Little North Western" which is fairly short, but then so was the line relative to those nearby like the Midland main, and the WCML.  I think that a fiver was a pretty good price, as I only ever saw one copy in the past, and that was tatty and eight quid.

Anyway, should get a visit in tomorrow after I've been to the parcel shop as I had an item closed on Ebay yesterday - it had been rolling over so much that it went relist on Christmas Day, and then was finally bought on Friday, and closed on New Year's Day.

Generic greetings

Regards to All

Stewart

• Like 17
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

1st Official Beary Rant of 2022.....

20Kg Bag of Ready Mixed Mortar late last year:  Eight Quid.

Same stuff this year, from the same place:  Eleven Quid :angry:

I could save a couple of quid by going elsewhere, but the time saved and petrol used just ain't worth it for a couple of quid.  Turdycurses. 

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 13

• RMweb Gold
43 minutes ago, polybear said:

1st Official Beary Rant of 2022.....

20Kg Bag of Ready Mixed Mortar late last year:  Eight Quid.

Same stuff this year, from the same place:  Eleven Quid :angry:

I could save a couple of quid by going elsewhere, but the time saved and petrol used just ain't worth it for a couple of quid.  Turdycurses. 

Plaster, cement and glass are all more expensive and supply is variable. Has been for the last year according to neighbours who build stuff for a living. 

• Agree 7
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Gold
15 hours ago, pH said:

Fantastic presence of mind and doing something positive.

• Like 8
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, BoD said:

I think you will struggle to beat randy butt

I look forward to being proved wrong - with photographic evidence of course.

I was shopping a KJ's and went to pick up some bananas, above them was some kind of "dip your banana in to this chocolate dip and have a ....". The image on the package is one of the most disgusting things that I have seen, at least in a grocery store. just picture a peeled, chocolate-covered banana!  :o  I will have to go back with my phone to get a photo!, it was just so unbelievable!!  :biggrin_mini:

• Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon/evening all from Estuary-Land. I watched 'Murder they hope' this afternoon and was rather disappointed. It's not a patch on the first series. It owes more to Wallace and Grommet than Agatha Christie.  I'll watch the third and final one tomorrow but tonight I'll watch Jonathan Creek.

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Friendly/supportive 7

• RMweb Premium
41 minutes ago, New Haven Neil said:

Mr Winslow needs to duck - Debs scored 353 today, female course record, beat her PB by 38.  A shame Debs won't enter competition outside of the island......

But think of all those muddling vouchers it'd cost - ferry, accommodation, fuel, scoff.....:scared:

• Like 2
  • Agree 10

11 minutes ago, Winslow Boy said:

No market forces. More demand = higher prices.

Higher energy prices as well glass and cement manufacturing are energy hungry. Coupled with supply chain issues the consumer ends up paying the price.

Then factor in the elastic relationship between price and supply and demand. 

@New Haven Neil please pass my congratulations to Mrs NHN both in beating the personal best and the cheating tw@

Edited by simontaylor484
Missed off text
  • Like 12
  • Agree 1

47 minutes ago, New Haven Neil said:

….iD, may I suggest you are far from the average home cook?  I can see the relevance to you, but not to the 'Average Modeller Cook'.  Not this one for sure, although I do manage a little above 'Bear Pizza' when pushed.....

Thank you for the compliment Neil, but I fear that you are seriously over estimating my abilities. Perhaps the only bit of equipment I use that most domestic kitchens don’t use is a vacuum packer and a Sous-Vide cooker (I have both a Sous-Vide cooker and a Sous-Vide “stick”).

Otherwise, whilst quite knowledgeable about food, cuisines and cooking techniques I have some very, very serious gaps in my skill sets. For example: I have yet to come up with the perfect roast potato (made from scratch, obviously) nor am I able to get a decent edge on a knife by using a steel.

Like so many things in life, with cooking the easy things look hard and the hard things look easy. Just as in music, railway modelling and many other areas of human endeavour.

Making a soufflé really is “easy peasy”  but most people think it’s incredibly hard to do (it’s not); on the other hand, working with sugar – creating caramel, toffee and other sugar work, is very difficult indeed.

iD

p.s. Am impressed by Debs’ archery achievements!

• Like 11
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2