The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

That one looks quite impossible to ride; well, at least safely. The handlebars are way too forward of the seat to be reasonably reachable. One would have to be lying down and then the foot controls ; ah, never mind. Upon a second reading, I see that you did mention an orangutan; an octopus might be better able to do the job. :clapping:

Edited by J. S. Bach
To add some information.
  • Like 12

1 hour ago, Tony_S said:

I am not totally sure what the “bacon jam” we had in Ireland was. 

Delicious and decadent come to mind.

The internet suggests bacon and onions are the primary ingredients. I like onion jam, and pepper jam (though it's usually called pepper jelly here).

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Barry O said:

We saw the New Year in with a glass or two of English Sparkling Wine. Excellent stuff but it is easier to find Rocking Horse droppings than a replacement Bottle.

I saw a segment on a television news magazine recently where oenologists suggest that with climate change, Kent now has the climate that Champagne had half a century or so ago, and that it is not unreasonable to expect that the finest sparkling wines in the world might well become English (for a while, the way things are going).

• Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

9 hours ago, New Haven Neil said:

Only one big firework bang here at midnight, probably the c*ck on the corner in his usual style.  Took us ages to get back to sleep though, but then up at 5am to investigate a loud banging and crashing, as it had gotten very windy indeed.  Couldn't find anything, TV aerial clinking a bit but that wasn't it.  Up again half an hour later as it was going nuts, with torch this time, and found it to be the door for the electricity meter cupboard, one of those plastic things in the wall - the same wall as our bedroom!  Grrr.  So a bit of a lye in but absolutely kernackered now.

I was able to readily fall asleep (after staying up until midnight) on what was probably the coldest night of the season. The furnace (with programmed thermostatic control*) was on, but despite that, a smoke detector battery decided that 4:30am would be the right time to expire. After the disruption of finding a replacement downstairs, climbing ladders, swearing at little plastic doors that won't shut etc, it took perhaps an hour or so to return to sleep.

* It is set to lower temperatures overnight and the house *shouldn't* have been much colder than usual.

Being late (and cold outside, -3°C) I thought about not going out for a walk, but did and felt a bit better for it. I will spend most of the remains of the day watching college football games.

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 11

• RMweb Gold
16 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Kent now has the climate that Champagne had half a century or so ago

My nephew lives next to Kent in Sussex and has sent us locally produced wines as presents. When it was easier to travel he would bring stuff back after visiting his fiancée’s family in Modena. The English wine was good.  

• Like 15

Before crawling out of my warm bed today, I watched the end of the Rose Parade in Pasadena, CA on television.

During the finale, four US Army Golden Knights (parachute display team) dropped onto the parade route. One of them (I think the one also streaming a California state flag) appeared to have a rapid and unstable descent and disappeared from view behind some trees, and the camera feed quickly cut away to the other three who landed in the target zone.

It really looked like the parachutist got tangled in some trees, but a news report I searched for noted that all had landed safely and the jumper with the flag actually hit the target.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 15

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Erichill16 said:

I think Bear should audition for ‘Master Chef, the Professionals’

Or maybe just "The Professionals" ....  :lol:

BTW, good to see the Bear up and about again :good:

• Like 11
  • Agree 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Tony_S said:

Though I am not totally sure what the “bacon jam” we had in Ireland was. 

It's like a chutney or relish depending on whether you put it through a food processor.. Made from bacon, onions, brown sugar and cider vinegar although can also include other ingredients such as maple syrup.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 7

28 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

I was able to readily fall asleep (after staying up until midnight) on what was probably the coldest night of the season. The furnace (with programmed thermostatic control*) was on, but despite that, a smoke detector battery decided that 4:30am would be the right time to expire. After the disruption of finding a replacement downstairs, climbing ladders, swearing at little plastic doors that won't shut etc, it took perhaps an hour or so to return to sleep.

* It is set to lower temperatures overnight and the house *shouldn't* have been much colder than usual.

Being late (and cold outside, -3°C) I thought about not going out for a walk, but did and felt a bit better for it. I will spend most of the remains of the day watching college football games.

Due to my inability to climb ladder any more, we have a handyman come in and help us out.  Every Autumn we have him change all the batteries irrespective of their beeping or not, just to obviate that task to which you relate.  

Happy New Year.

Brian.

• Like 15
  • Round of applause 1

Just now, brianusa said:

Every Autumn we have him change all the batteries irrespective of their beeping or not

Very sensible. They always fail in the middle of the night - which some people attribute to lower temperatures causing lower battery voltage. Mine are also hard wired. There is minimal drain on the batteries and they last for a long time, but it would be worth the hassle to replace them periodically.

• Like 11
  • Agree 1

24 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Very sensible. They always fail in the middle of the night - which some people attribute to lower temperatures causing lower battery voltage. Mine are also hard wired. There is minimal drain on the batteries and they last for a long time, but it would be worth the hassle to replace them periodically.

Our alarms that we have just replaced are hard wired the battery backup supplied by Fire Angel states on it to replace after 1 year its a normal 9v battery 

• Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 4

4 minutes ago, simontaylor484 said:

... replace after 1 year its a normal 9v battery 

I had a number of AA batteries that I left installed in Christmas decorations from last year. A surprising number of them had leaked and some of the battery operated lamps no longer work. I will remove the batteries this year.

The 9V batteries have a better canister (and one presumes the voltage drops before they leak), but that's still no guarantee.

• Like 9
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. Wine has been produced in England since medieval times. However the industry died out in the 'Little ice age' from 1350-1830. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Little_Ice_Age 

Now there is even Scottish wines, five at the last count. 

https://lizthachmw.com/winetravelstories/wineries-in-scotland-yes-there-are-five-or-so/

• Like 4
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 6
  • Friendly/supportive 1

10 hours ago, Erichill16 said:

I think Bear should audition for ‘Master Chef, the Professionals’

Nah! Monica Galetti would shred the Bear - and that’d be just on the skills test.

If Monica Galetti and Marcus Wareing can reduce seasoned professional cooks to quivering wrecks, what chance would a Bear, only skilled in the arts of the deep-freeze, the microwave and tin-opener, have against such remorseless and pitiless judgement.

The Bear might have some success In wooing the bald grocer bloke who loves puds and cakes - but I wouldn’t count on it….

iD can cook a bit and would never even dream of going on MCP

• Like 7
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium

Ey up!

Apparently it is Sunday. Christmas tree and decorations will be taken down and stored in their spot in the loft.. at least the decorations will be.. the tree is being collected by a local charity for recycling on Wednesday .. a small price to pay to make sure it is turned into a useful product.

After hammering,banging and drilling all day yesterday I was woken by pea brains son inthe night. He was hammering and banging and turning switches on and off at 4 am. Luckily I got back to sleep!

@pH a great story..  welldone to them all. One for spotting Italy two for believing in the text made.

Time for my mugatea methinks!

Enjoy your day! Stay safe!

Baz

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 15