The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Good moaning from down ere. It actually sounds still and dry outside but it's still  dark.  Not a huge amount to report.  We had a pleasant couple of hours of drinks and nibbles with neighbours last night then slobbed out watching a fim on Netflix.  Bruised.  

Today a bit of electrical work in the shed then I'm off trainspotting with my mate Andy.  He's still recovering from a shoulder operation so will be glad of a trip out.  It's supposed to be getting sunny so we can live in hope.

Regards to all.

Jamie.  

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 18
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Glad to see @Natalie back and I hope we hear from other missing ER's soon. Just a short visit this morning as I'll be going out to the Rayleigh toy fair which might be the last one for a while if restrictions are bought in in the new year.

• Like 13
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold
24 minutes ago, New Haven Neil said:

all the wires are in the switch boxes

Are they wall lights? All our ceiling lights are wired through the ceiling rose with a cable to the switch. The only one like yours is a wall mounted lamp.

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold

My neighbour kindly installed gutter guards (hedgehogs) while the solar panel scaffolding was up. Later in the spring he will be completing the job. We will all be sharing the cost of a cherry picker van and a roofer. However Lee (neighbour) wanted to fit the lower gutter hedgehogs today, using my house as a template to know how much to order. Other neighbours have stopped to ask what he is doing and he now has a number of other similar jobs to quote for. So we seem to be social influencers now! Though all I am doing is making coffee. 
Tony

• Like 14
  • Funny 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Afternoon all!

Had  a low profile for a few days, we've been away to stay with my relly who lives close to AndrewP land.    

Trying to set up a new mobile phone, on a new network using her old number has been the biggest challenge of the last few days.    Almost made it; phone working.  Calls In & Out plus outgoing texts.  Won't receive incoming texts at the moment.  Steps have been taken to refresh the "message centre number" via a "manual roam" but, they say, it might take a few hours for the effects to ripple through and become effective.   I hope so as it's a long way to go back and have another go!

Very sorry to learn that black dogs have been  sheep bear-worrying.   If only we could keep those black dogs under control. 

(Just thought; is the phrase "black dog" PC?    No, of course not, but who gives a sh...., it is very descriptives and everyone understands the context and the connotations and if anyone is offended well that's just tough)

Other than that not a lot to report.  I hope this cloudy ad wet weather clears off soon.   Itching to whip out the Newtonian Reflector and have a gander at some heavenly bodies.    

21 hours ago, 45156 said:

the last permanent one left (she was very good as well as very easy on the eye) to go and join our GP practice as a pharmacist practitioner but it's the only one close to the GP surgery, and the only one in town,  I do know from speaking to the staff who used to work there when it was independent, that B**ts only use ONE supplier - Alliance, which (surprise) is owned by B**ts, so if your item is out of stock with Alliance, you're stuffed.  The independent pharmacist had accounts with ALL the major suppliers, so was not caught out that often.

Very frustrating!   One of the things that annoys me about such trials and tribulations is that it's not as though you are taking the medication for the fun of it.  And, like trying to get appointments with GP's & consultants, the very last thing you need at such times is stress caused by difficulties getting essential medication.

One possible thought; these days you can have your prescriptions sent to any pharmacy.   Could you find an independent one who does postal deliveries?  Then you'd possibly get the best "availability" combined with no need to actually collect the things.     Perhaps our resident pharmacist can advise on the best tricks solution to be applied?

Alan

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Tony_S said:

gutter guards (hedgehogs)

I haven't been able to  train the local hedgehogs to guard anything let alone climb to the roof and guard gutters. :jester:  

• Like 1
  • Funny 16

• RMweb Gold

I don’t know if other residents of North Kent and South Essex have seen the news reports but the “Richard Montgomery” is in the news again. Having been assured for a while that the WW2 munitions ship wasn’t really likely to explode now, it seems that the masts are corroding and could fall onto the hull and set off the explosives. So the Navy will be removing the masts this summer. 

• Informative/Useful 11
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Tony_S said:

Are they wall lights? All our ceiling lights are wired through the ceiling rose with a cable to the switch. The only one like yours is a wall mounted lamp.

No Tony, they're all ceiling lights.  May be Manx regs, or possibly Irish given the nationality of most tradesmen/women here.  It's a pest though, all the neutrals taking space up in the box.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 9

I have been changing various light fittings here lately all wired through the ceiling rose that I have had to remove. There was a right rats nest in some 3 wire for the loop a live a switched live which is actually a blue wire sheathed brown and the neutral.  Due to the type of fittings I have used Wago 221 series connectors to join the wires and just push into the ceiling void.

I have changed a plug socket in the kitchen today been a right pita the original sparky obviously had a faulty spirit level this has been remedied 

20211228_115511.jpg

Edited by simontaylor484
Added photo
  • Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 9

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon Awl,

Knackered I be, four and a bit hours waving the angle grinder around, often above the head...

I was looking like a slightly blue snowman after...

A slight mod was made to one support leg to improve its use.

Tomorrow waving the sanders around, and maybe a coat of primer...

Primer? Yep, been to the local chandler, bought one 750 mil Tim of primer, one 750mil tin of top coat,,,,cost? £85 ouch....

• Like 2
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 13

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon All

Not all posts read, as 30747 is getting sick of the boxes (as am I) so we went out with Lily for a couple of hours, and as a result, some skipping has had to take place.

However, as usual greetings are offered generically, and most sincerely.  Nice to see Natalie back, and bearing news of Kelly - and Chrisf, I do like the new avatar. 

I wish I hadn't renewed the subscription on Ebay for a certain maker's teddy bears, as one came up today for the first time ever - at an extremely reasonable price according to 30747 who is a bit of an authority on collectable teddies - but it is in the USA, and once the import duty and shipping are factored in, it gets a bit expensive - I believe it came to around $250, but after checking the price of a similar teddy in one of her old Witney Bears catalogues, I reluctantly ordered it, the UK price at retail about 6 years ago was £325, so I guess it was a bargain really - now how many locos will that equate to, I'd think maybe a nice Hornby "City of Salford" - a loco I only saw once, and then didn't know that it was an Ivatt loco (well I was only eight at the time and my dad's cousin, Alec McNair who was a real authority on all things Caledonian and LMS wasn't there to clue me up, as he did all the time until he died) - it was just another Duchess to me at that time - pah, what I'd give now to see just "another Duchess".

Back tomorrow - probably.

Certainly will pop in on Saturday to wish the new year greetings)

Regards to All

Stewart

• Like 17
  • Friendly/supportive 2

Greetings all from a grey and gloomy Sidcup.

a quiet day not wfh. Ocado delivered as scheduled and I had managed to get up in time! Since then we have been for a walk and I did a big pile of ironing while Mrs Lurker did other chores.

I have also found a time to read a bit more of Lord of the Rings. The y are just departing Lothlorien.

enjoy your day 

Edited by The Lurker
  • Like 14
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, New Haven Neil said:

Yes Simon, that's the sort of thing I'm familiar with - just two wires here to the rose.  The treble switch box in the kitchen, with one gang being two-way, is a right cats cradle. 

I used to think that I was "good" with electrics - I managed to rewire the lighting circuits in our first bought house, and while I was switching on at the consumer unit, 30747 was stood out in the garden, with her hands over her ears awaiting the bang - which never came - though only half the upstairs lights came on when the switches were operated - another quick trip into the loft found one screw in a joint box which was not tight, and all was well. 

THEN came Part P of the building regs, whereby all wiring had to be tested by a qualified electrician, and also a new edition (12th I think) of the electrical wiring regs and I gave up, it was getting too complex.

Nowadays, I just believe that the best advice is to leave everything electrical to a qualified person who is up to speed, and also has the knowledge and equipment to check everything out safely.

• Like 10
  • Agree 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Parcels were received earlier and John Lewis had got everything correct in the order.

I gave in earlier on .. I applied a hot rice bag to my knee then some Voltarol.. why did I ever play Rugby??   Must be about time to get a new knee I think.. frabjoy!

Herself noticed a leak from our boiler British Gas will appear in 6 days time.. meanwhile we have installed a catching device..PAH!!

I have been busy sorting out some incorrect muddling I did the other day.. wasn't as bad to correct as I thought it would.

Spent a lot of time on our Regional Business Plan  Look Ahead for discussion and update by the second week of January.. and we are all Volunteers..

A mug of decaff is required chish and fips with Yorkshire caviar to be ordered for tea..yummy!

Baz

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 16