The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. Decisions, decisions, I've just noticed that Jonathan Creek and Death in Paradise clash this evening. I'll probably watch Jonathan Creek and catch up with DiP on I-player. Before then though its time to prepare dinner, be back later.

• Like 13
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Gwiwer said:

Hmmm. Welcome to the Feast of St. Stephen. Or the Annual Humiliation of the Guests at the MCG. 

Many new bottles were acquired yesterday following a safe trip to sister’s in Sussex.  

This was a surprise. 

F4239309-116C-44F5-972E-AA5FB7D3D800.jpeg.8d20ae3e889c08df06fda52dba95782f.jpeg

I've looked at the bottle and noticed the name.

Loki is the norse god of mischief! 

• Like 3
  • Agree 6
  • Informative/Useful 4
  • Funny 4

Sat pondering my next steps with the washing machine I have drained it again since my last post there is nothing this side of the filter and the impeller is spinning freely, I ve had the trap off the sink and the wastes look clear. 

I am planning to drag the bl00dy thing out and take off the sump pump and check we have got everything out of it. I'm not even sure if we have put something back incorrectly we were overjoyed we could see instantly what the problem was there was a little flap inside the housing that covered the outlet to the drum i have no idea whether it should be left open or not

Any ideas are gratefully received the fact its 900 quid for a new one isnt much of a factor in mine and the apprentices determination to fix the bu99er 

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 17

On the feast of Stephen, when the snow lay round about, it was variable and perhaps around 2" or so in places around here.

image.png.f8d84af50d6d21bae16f5a64f82127de.png

We did not have a white Christmas per se. It began to snow lightly at about 11:00pm on the 25th. We do however have a white boxing day.

My son spent Christmas morning with me. His older brother wanted us to go to the movies. We trekked up to southern Washington and watched the latest Spiderman movie (which would not have been my choice but was entertaining if you like that sort of thing). I was very uncomfortable with the number of people in the cinema. (My recent cinema experiences have intentionally been with no other than an handful of people in an almost empty cinema and that was before SARS-CoV-2-Omicron.) People were, largely, masked.

Whenever it snows here we normally have very overcast weather. Today is seeing intermittent snow showers, but with sun breaks in between. It is nice to see (even occasional) bright sunshine on the snow. I enjoyed my walk in the snow today and was pleased to learn that my local city does possess at least two snow plows, which I saw in operation. (They only seem to use them on 'main' roads.)

It's above freezing now at midday and there is much melting. Tomorrow may be icy while walking.

image.png.35221f1edd6aad9ca94d1e1462f7abdb.png

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 13

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, simontaylor484 said:

Any ideas are gratefully received

I suspect you may have tried this but just in case…

Go to YouTube, type in the make and model of your machine along with something like “drain pump problem”. I did try that for my dishwasher recently and soon realised that the parts were considerably more expensive than the company’s flat fee repair, so I didn’t do it myself. There was however a video of to remove and replace the part. Perhaps there is one for your washing machine. 

• Like 9
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

Snowed all morning and six inches or so on the rear deck.  Our cat is not impressed but valiantly goes out and plays in the snow.  I am certainly not impressed but we don't have to go anywhere!  Happy Boxing Day and hope you all enjoy the leftovers!:unsure:

Brian

• Like 12
  • Thanks 6

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Ozexpatriate said:

We did not have a white Christmas per se.

We took part in an International Zoom call today. Delhi, London, Essex and California. No snow anywhere but the Delhi residents looked the most ready for snow with woolly hats and warm jackets. It was 13C which is “cold” for houses that don’t have heating. Aditi’s Mum asked her brother in California if he was unwell as he was sitting in bed but he explained it was just before 6am  there. 
Tony

• Like 14
  • Friendly/supportive 5

28 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

It was 13C which is “cold” for houses that don’t have heating.

I've only been to Delhi once. It was 39°C that day. I took a lot of the 'obligatory' tourist snapshots.

image.png.dbe8c98b25c88798bede61f15ff49c9e.png

image.png.dc0ce73df217f002902661206b004c21.png

Most Queenslanders don't have heat in their homes either. (That was certainly true, and I think it still is.)

• Like 16

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Coombe Barton said:

remove a coating of cocoa powder from my hair. Don’t ask.

Is cocoa powder less explosive than custard powder? Nasty stuff if handled incorrectly (custard powder). 

• Agree 4
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Funny 7

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. I nodded off in the chair earlier and when I awoke I felt dizzy and was shivering. I made myself a hot drink and now I'm feeling a lot better. No Farcebook tonight as I don't feel up to it.

• Friendly/supportive 14

Evening All,

Been pondering.…..

On Christmas Eve I got a frozen pizza out for my tea and being gluten free it was just a margarita but my taste buds demanded more so I added a some boiled ham and some pickled onions. 
What are and aren’t  acceptable toppings for a pizza and relating to iD’s question earlier, is turkey acceptable. I’m sure Mr Bear will be able to help out on this one.

Hawaiian pizza?

Barbecue chicken?

I bet they have some real ‘topper’s’ in Australia. (See what I did there?)

Anyway, had a good day here, took Sydney for his morning walk and then went down to Newark for the afternoon. Played monopoly with nieces, sister and SWMBO and then had tea down there.

Tomorrow, well Sydney needs his walk and then the world is my lobster.

Goodnight.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

23 minutes ago, Erichill16 said:

What are and aren’t acceptable toppings for a pizza ...

A religious question that one. Many will have dogmatic beliefs depending on their 'Weltanschauung'.

Were the word "pizza" removed to avoid the culturally relevant credo, and replaced with "baked flatbread toppings" the options are broader.

Chicken with barbeque sauce is popular here. (Not "pizza" for purists and sounds awful, but it's not.)

I did eat this in Australia (posted before):

image.png.16656b6c054a39f07fa51c4596b136a5.png

(It's prawns and calamari. My food-science educated sister wouldn't touch it, but it tasted good.)

A local 'take and bake' place offers their chicken, bacon and artichoke - thin crust with an Alfredo sauce. (Again, not "pizza" but tastes good.)

The "internet" suggests a "Thanksgiving leftovers" variety with turkey and mashed potato with cranberry relish as toppings on a turkey gravy sauce. (I wouldn't.)

A better option I found would be turkey, caramelized onions and apples. Mozzarella, but no sauce on the flatbread dough, just a brushing of olive oil and optionally balsamic vinegar.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 5
  • Friendly/supportive 3

7 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

A religious question that one. Many will have dogmatic beliefs depending on their 'Weltanschauung'.

Were the word "pizza" removed to avoid the culturally relevant credo, and replaced with "baked flatbread toppings" the options are broader.

I’m happy to go with ‘baked flat bread toppings’ as I’m desperate to ‘spice things up’ with my ‘flatbread’ with cheese and tomato.

May have to leave it here for tonight as iPad is acting up. Letters taking ages to register on the screen so can’t see what I’m typing.

• Friendly/supportive 14

2 minutes ago, Erichill16 said:

I’m desperate to ‘spice things up’ with my ‘flatbread’ with cheese and tomato.

Honestly the turkey, caramelized onions and apples sounded really good to me. Searching for 'turkey pizza' will give you many options - most of them variants of the 'chicken pizza' I described above.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium
59 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Honestly the turkey, caramelized onions and apples sounded really good to me. Searching for 'turkey pizza' will give you many options - most of them variants of the 'chicken pizza' I described above.

Definitely go with onions, although they could be more stewed than caramelized (apparently popular in Alsace on flat bread, if my memory is right). The one time I was in Rhodes, I had a pizza (probably margherita), and fancied another, but without cheese. I saw onion on the menu (perhaps for choose your own topping) - they tried to dissuade me because "it doesn't have nay cheese". But ti was good.

If your store cupboard has dried porcini, some of those soaked and lightly cooked would also be good.

ĸen

• Like 11

Our homemade pizza recipe: garlic naan base, pizza sauce, grated mozzarella cheese, red or yellow peppers (diced), sweet onion (raw), tomatoes (sliced), mushrooms (sliced), black olives. 

At this point, my wife’s and my recipes diverge. Mine gets chopped anchovies, hers has basil leaves and oregano.

Another thin covering of mozzarella.

375 for 10 minutes.

That’s it.

• Like 10