The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Mooring Awl, Inner Temple Hare,

After spending a lot of yesterday  dozing on the sofa, I was surprised to get 5 hours asleep followed by another couple semi dozing.

On the awake periods, I was doing a lot of research on marine paint in particular the primer used below VC17M antifouling. The makers giving conflicting advice, mostly they advise VC TAR2 which is no longer a tar based paint but an expensive epoxy paint. £40 a ltr. But there is also a reference to using their Primocon, a much cheaper single tin paint.  Looking for alternatives online hits huge shipping charges..

Ben the good Collie, allowed me to lie in till 07:00, we've been for patrol, which Ben enjoyed charging around..

it's cold chilly and windy. It's 4C  an Easterly with a touch of South.. at 30mph that gives a feels like of -3C.. so I've decided not to go to the sailing club which today is normally part social, part sailing event. But the covid status would mean a lot of standing outside in the cold in the full wind..

Therefore I stopped off at the mobile home and put the A/C on, I'll work on the moving shelf door, trimming up on the shelf side and cladding the back to match the internal walls of the living room there.

Time for muggacoffee number 2

• Like 12
  • Friendly/supportive 6

1 hour ago, iL Dottore said:

So, what do you do to recycle/upcycle/dump the leftovers from your big meal on the 25th?

We gave most of ours to mil. Sort of kills two birds with one  stone, we’ll not need to take her shopping for a few days!

Edited by Erichill16
To make more sense.
  • Like 3
  • Round of applause 2
  • Funny 12

Morning, we too were away yesterday, spent a lovely day with daughters family in Perth, no drinking as I was driving, but playing with the grandkids made up for that, I can start my tasting of falling down water later, although I did have a nip of 18 year old Glenfiddich before retiring last night(well technically it was this morning as we were late home). I bought a bottle of Port Ellen some years back, "keep that" they said "it'll be worth loads", they were right it would have been, but like Baz, if it's in the house it's for drinking, hard to find a bottle these days for less than a £1000, tasted nice though.......................

• Like 18
  • Friendly/supportive 1

To make you all jealous:

I'm the only person in the house that drinks whisky so bought myself a bottle of my favourite - Penderyn for the festivities. I have since been given another three bottles over the festive period.

Measures to protect this Welsh liquid gold from marauding Hippos are in place :mellow:

A happy Boxing Day to you all and your families,

Dave

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone 

It’s raining and has been on and off for most of the night, but there was a short spell about an hour ago when it has stopped. 

Like quite a few on here, I ate and drank a little bit too much yesterday, but as there was only 2 of us, I didn’t do a roast, pork sausages with orange, cranberries and chestnuts and some mashed potato, so there was no left overs. The time between dinner and tea was spent relaxing, which was nice, but something that neither of want to do on a regular basis. Although, for me, today is pretty much the same as yesterday, I did fancy a walk, but unfortunately, the rain has put paid to that idea. So I think I’ll carry on with the book I’m reading. 

Back later. 

Brian

• Like 14
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. A bit late this morning as I spent nearly an hour chatting to my sister on the phone. No meat left overs as I had the salmon for my Christmas dinner. Potatoes, parsnips and brussel sprouts, enough for another meal is all that remains and will be used up today, with sausages that were 'discovered' when I sorted out the freezer a week or two back.

4 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

Good morning all,

So, what do you do to recycle/upcycle/dump the leftovers from your big meal on the 25th?

As above, tomorrow I will venture down to Tess Coes to find anything left over in the clearance shelves. Thats if the gannets haven't got there first.

• Like 16
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

As we were invited out for Chrimbo dinner we have no leftovers 5o dispose of.  However it has been mrntioned that it hasn't felt like Christmas, no crackers Christmas pud or carols.  That is being partially remedied by listening to Carols from Kings whilst we have lunch.  I never realised that the TV version is an edited and shortened version. Next year I wiil record the full service off the radio.  The Crackers have been saved in Yorkshire for when we get over and the Christmas pud is to be eaten at New Year.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 17

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Barry O said:

selling it in a few years time.. yerwot! If it is in the house it needs drinking methinks.

I couldn't agree more - one of my "investments" was a 70cl Golden Cask bottling of 20yo, single cask, un chillfitered Caol Isla bottled at cask strength, numbered bottle.  It was on the whisky shelf in a castle in the South Of Scotland, and somebody had just gone along the row of Golden Cask bottles with a price gun set at £24.99 - all the others were correctly priced - the woman assistant on the shop remarked that "We had loadsa them, an they never went oot o the shoap sae quick before"  I'll bet there were some real rarities being under sold - I think mine should have been £124.99.  Well I sat on it, sat on it, and sat on it again, until I REALLY wanted a decent dram - so I opened this nectar of the Islay gods, and savoured it over a good few weeks.  I had enough left for a couple of decent glasses, and one of our neighbours came round, and his son had just turned 18 - I asked if he would like to try a couple of my malts - he willingly accepted, and we started with a Pedro Ximinez finished Lagavulin, and progressed through Talisker to Ardbeg.  I then got the last of the Caol Isla out, and he drank it like he'd been drinking whisky for years, not minutes.  That was about 20 years ago, and he never forgot it, and now he sometimes gives me a good bottle from his acquisitions and reminds me of the time that we shared that last two glasses of the rare one.  He now does have a few bottles laid down for posterity - the ones upwards of £300 a bottle.

• Like 17
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon All

Not much left over here, though enough for a slice of the very tasty chicken crown which we had yesterday with some ham, mash and some veg - that's tomorrows dinner.  Todays is shin of beef cooked in the slow cooker for 8 hours yesterday in a rich gravy with veg.

Happy Boxing Day to my fellow ERs - for us, this year Boxing Dax really meant BOXing day as the packing continues apace. 

No doubt this afternoon some midwives will be called on the recorder.

Regards to All

Stewart

• Like 17
  • Friendly/supportive 2

Christmas day was quiet. Had invitations from both family and friends but with COVID it's too damned risky. Christmas meal was had in the evening. The remainder will be eaten/processed over the next few days.

Today I've just cooked the sponge for a chocolate log for friends. It's just come out of the oven and had been rolled and left to cool and set. It will be filled with chocolate buttercream and coated with three types of chocolate, then cooled and taken round. 

It's precise cookery for the sponge, but then you can go as wild as hell with the chocolate. 

• Like 16
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

Couple of days off after working yesterday, I was looking at getting Some tickets to see the panto in town but they wanted over £100 for the 4 so managed to get 4 for ‘Book of Mormon’ in Manchester instead for less than 1/2 of that! 

booked the 4 then Dominic exclaimed he was in work tonight despite me asking him 4 times before I booked the tickets, didn’t realise it was Sunday, checked his roster for w/c Monday! 

just getting ready then will head to navigation road in the car for the tram into the city

• Like 18
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon Awl,

Shelving unit, trimmed,

The back clad, to match walls.

More trimming carried out,

Skirting board at base fitted one side.

Filler applied to various holes. This is made from secondhand wood..

Back needs dado rail fitted, and skirting board.

Paints dug out from storage, 

Ben taken for long walk.. we got very wet.. still drizzling or raining as it has been most of the day.

More research on primer coats and paints.. I've been going round in circles on that..

Sanding tomorrow, 

But first, dinner and pot luck wine.. working my through odd bottles ...

• Like 17
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Dave Hunt said:

Like a fair few on this forum I received some Celtic happy water yesterday, in my case including one of my favourites - Caol Isla

Still one of my favourite Islay malts - so much less phenol and peary fire, and a lot more subtlety - though I am slowly going onto the uppeated one - Bunnahabhain

• Like 11
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Afternoon All!

Belated Christmas Greetings for yesterday.  Sorry, I was too busy enjoying the company of my son and daughter, their respective partners and, of course, my grandson to partake in much RMWebbery.    

Many presents were distributed and opened,  too much a fair degree of glugging and associated scoffing was undertaken and a very pleasant  time was had.    Presents received may have included another set of Whitworth spanners (you can never have enough I've found), small boxes containing an assortment of plastic mouldings and appropriate accessories to construct replicas of small sheds that have wheels that may (or may not) be coupled to other similar sheds for the purpose of the conveyance of goods and chattels along parallel strips of metal ...    

The major gift from SWIMBO was the tube for reflecting moon and starlight to form an image in the eye of the beholder.    As this arrived a few weeks ago and had to be checked for completeness and lack of damage at the time it remained unwrapped.    This morning saw the first "upgrade" completed and tested.    A simple turning job on the Myford to produce a camera adapter for the camera module I originally bought for my Telecine machine.     It seems to work, holding the camera in the eyepiece tube quite nicely.    I think the viewed object might have been testing the focus range to the limit, being a neighbours TV aerial approximately 100' away rather than a large shiny object 250,000 miles away but it was all that could be seen at any distance on this drab and dreary day!

1395103268_TelescopeGrab.jpg.f8059fd95b0b94b26748c5c71fab601d.jpg

I caught up with the launch of the James Webb telescope this morning and also watched an interesting video describing its purpose and design.    You've got to love and admire such feats of engineering brilliance, well I do anyway.

Enjoy the rest of Boxing Day and the following lull before the storm although I fancy that for a second year running the celebration of the arrival of a New Year will be much reduced for obvious reasons.

Alan

Edited by PupCam
Bill Clinton inserted himself in the link!
  • Like 17

The Twelve days of Turkey

On the first day of Christmas my true love said to me I'm glad we've bought a turkey and a proper Christmas tree.

On the second day of Christmas much laughter could be heard, as we tucked into our turkey - a most delicious bird.

On the third day of Christmas we had friends in from next door. The turkey tasted just as good as on the day before.

On the fourth day of Christmas Gran came, she's rather old. We finished up the Christmas pud and ate the turkey cold.

On the fifth day of Christmas outside the snowflakes flurried. But we nice and warm inside - we ate the turkey curried.

On the sixth day of Christmas the turkey spirit died. The children fought and bickered and we ate the turkey fried.

On the seventh day of Christmas my true love gave a wince. When we sat down to dinner and was given turkey mince.

On the eight day of Christmas the dog ran off for shelter. I served up turkey pancakes and a glass of Alka Seltzer.

On the ninth day of Christmas poor Dad began to cry. He said he couldn't stand the strain of eating turkey pie.

On the tenth day of Christmas the air was rather blue. And everybody grumbled at eating turkey stew.

On the eleventh day of Christmas the Christmas tree was moulting. Mince pies as hard as rock and the turkey quite revolting.

On the twelfth day of Christmas at last Dad smacked his lip. The guests had gone, the turkey too - we dined on fish and chips.

• Like 3
  • Round of applause 11
  • Funny 5