The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

RMweb is timing out. I've noticed a "waiting for tps11003.doubleverify.com" message appear at the bottom of the screen - presumably advertising related.

Double Verify's website says:

DV has been powering digital media quality and performance for over a decade. Dedicated Fraud Lab and Semantic Science teams focus exclusively on developing cutting-edge solutions for brands, advertisers, platforms and publishers — from identifying the latest fraud schemes to safeguarding brand reputation across devices and emerging channels.

It's one thing to accept the reality of advertising. It's another when it prevents users from actually being able to use the website - and not just in a "user experience" sort of way, but literally denial of service.

• Agree 15
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

Good morning all,

I am continuing to be puzzled by reference to over intrusive ads on RMWeb making the visiting experience untenable. I’m not using anything special on my iPad - just Firefox for iPad with the pop-up button turned off (so no pop-ups) and that’s it. Neither do I have any problems with accessing RMWeb on my laptop (again using Firefox). I’m wondering whether or not the reason I am not seeing things these ads is because they are geographically contained/constrained and that they don’t appear when the IP number shows the RMWeb host computer that I am in Switzerland? If that is the case, then using a VPN should solve the problem.

I note with a touch of envy that @jamie92208 is off to Paris for a day or so: apart from the train spotting, there is all that wonderful food to enjoy (Unfortunately, one of the best restaurants in Paris – and not very expensive - Le Petit Boffinger is now permanently closed thanks to the pandemic and I suspect that many other midprice restaurants will have suffered the same fate). A question about his trip does spring to mind: does the SNCF produce the equivalent of the infamous “British Rail Sandwich” and will he partake? I’m looking forward to seeing some of @jamie92208 train spotting snaps – especially the ones taken in the Quartier Pigalle :jester:

Sad news for @polybear, I’m afraid: the Victoria Sponge that I made the other day was sampled by the Alpine Angel of Death and was deemed more than eminently edible. As a consequence my treasured Alpine Angel has snaffled the lot and shared it with her minions (and to rub salt in the wound, I have to inform the bear that the generous quantity of buttercream in the cake was greatly appreciated and thought to counterbalance the crumb of the cake quite nicely). Another Victoria Sponge bake is scheduled for November 19th as I will be making one as a birthday cake for Mrs GP friend.

Not a terribly busy day today: just some paperwork to move around and a kurbissuppe to make. I may also make some bread. I should find time enough to play with the Harley Benton.

Enjoy Tuesday

iD

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. A few twinges from Arthur Itis and Si Attica this morning but they both went into hiding when I started moving around. As an experiment I turned my ad blocker off, I soon turned it back on again and it will stay on until they sort the ads out. Now to get through RMweb and then run a bath.

• Like 16
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
15 minutes ago, Barry O said:

I bought some 2 by 1 (or the metric equivalent) for making benches for a hobby activity the other day...thieving badgers £6.25 a 8ft length..

I had the same experience a few days ago. It won't be long before the phrase, "Worth its weight in wood," is in common circulation.

Have a good Tuesday everyone.

Dave

• Like 3
  • Agree 13
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone 

Another dull start to the day, but then I’m staying inside, so I’m not really that bothered. We both ended up sleeping in this morning, I didn’t get downstairs until after 9:30, so very late on parade this morning. 

So, what’s the plan for today, we’ll its another day spent in the cellar continuing work on the engine shed. 

Back later. 

Brian

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, grandadbob said:

Various present type items for Christmas are on the way.  I thought most of that had been dealt with but what do I know -  apparently it's nothing to do with me and way above my pay grade.

It'll fall within your pay grade when it's time to front up the cash....

2 hours ago, grandadbob said:

I ventured to Wickes yesterday to get some wood dye for a little staining job.  £12.00 for 0.25L !!! "How much?" I almost screamed at the young lady assistant.  When I was managing a builder's merchant (I know it was nearly 20 years ago) the same stuff was about two quid.  After telling her that she did give me 10% off.   

HOW MUCH?? :triniti:

We need an emoji for Robbin' 'stwards....

For future reference it seems Wilko do the same (own brand) for £6-50.

In other news:

Washing nearly done.  Bed stripped.  Dishwasher doing it's stuff.  Parcel received (some etches for something called a DP1 - which I've been after for a while).  Redundant Hinge holes on cabinet door covered with nice little plugs.  Email sent to Axminster Tools regarding a "nomal" 13mm chuck that fits my SDS drill - the chuck was purchased last year, hardly used yet decided to self-destruct yesterday :angry:.  I'm hoping they'll send a replacement, but it's been just over 12 months.....

• Like 10
  • Friendly/supportive 4

Morning all

I had a similar experience with timber the other week I was looking for 19x32mm timber and it was extinct apart from a couple of lengths that nay have been useful in NHNs archery club they were that bent. I only wanted it to make tool racks in the garage. Even the treated roofing laths were out of stock.

I wish they would repeat Young Ones, Filthy,Rich and Catflap and Bottom.

Filthy Rich seems to get forgotten about it was hilarious too 

• Like 14
  • Friendly/supportive 2

Greetings all from an LBG where it is cloudy and looking like it might rain.

Work is going slowly still. The group finance posting error ($7m in total) has not been corrected yet although I have provided it to them on a plate.

Not a lot else to report at this juncture, so have a good day all

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 15

• RMweb Gold

I got one too Neil. I didn’t reply via that email but sent another email to the address I got from the zoom group emails.  Not had a reply yet. It is the same address though. 

Edited by grandadbob
  • Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 5

• RMweb Gold

Afternoon all.

Flying visit: 

Soil pipe boxed-in in the kitchen is leaking again (repaired "professionally" earlier in the year), can't stop got to try and fix it as soon as Email from Toolstation  appears to say items ready for collection.

Back later ....... with luck!

Alan

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 17