The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, simontaylor484 said:

I have seen those new fire ladders on the internet 64 m tall. Quite an impressive piece of kit.

I wonder if they are mounted on a rigid body or an articulated trailer or are they like those American long ladder trucks where they have a rear steering cabin over the back axle.

I think they were £1.5 million each

I wouldn't fancy steering one of those trailers. All you control is the steering, no brakes or any other way of controlling speed. And the way that they 'crab' between lanes takes a lot of skill.

If your not careful you could easily take out a whole line of traffic.

Edited by PhilJ W
  • Like 17

58 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

I wouldn't fancy steering one of those trailers. All you control is the steering, no brakes or any other way of controlling speed. And the way that they 'crab' between lanes takes a lot of skill.

If your not careful you could easily take out a whole line of traffic.

That reminds me of the conversation between fore and aft hydroplane operators recounted by Richard Compton-Hall in one of his books about early submarines:

"My ends going down, what's your end doing?"

• Like 2
  • Funny 16
  • Friendly/supportive 1

9 hours ago, simontaylor484 said:

Our local Tescos does the same 2 mornings a week they dim the lights and turn the volume of the music down. Trouble is its a Wednesday and Saturday 0900-1000 so it's rare I benefit from it with our Boys

Tick boxing, round here if they do it it's at some silly time of day.

• Like 6
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium

Good evening everyone 

I spoke too soon this morning, within a few minutes of my post, it started to drizzle, by 11 o’clock it was proper rain. Luckily, I didn’t get wet this week when walking back to the car at the Trafford Centre, as it had stopped then. 

Sheila had her booster jab this afternoon and that’s about as exciting as today has been. 

Fireworks have been going off nearly all night, but thankfully, they seem to have stopped now. 

• Like 16
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium

A much reduced amount of fireworks around here, compared to normal times, but some of the rockets were most impressive (several trails of lights spread out as if radii of a dome, with different colours at different heights).

Very jazzy.  Mmm, nice.

• Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 6
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

Good morning all,

Fairly reasonable night (again on the sofa, but Hey Ho).

A busy morning awaits: but first I have to activate the bear traps and hippo traps because this morning I will be in the kitchen baking:

• A Manchester tart.
  • A Victoria sponge with buttercream and blackberry jam filling.
  • Sausage rolls.

I need to make sure that the area around the Alpine Redoubt™ is secured and there is no possibility of any ursine snaffling of cake. Mrs iD is returning this afternoon and she expects cake, so cake must be protected and provided (although Captain Cynical is tempted to turn off the defences and let polybear waltz away with the goodies and then inform The Alpine Angel of Death as to who nicked the patisserie, then sit back and enjoy the ensuing mayhem)

And after my stint in the kitchen, I will play around with my new Harley Benton CST 24T

Enjoy Saturday

Edited by iL Dottore
Typo
  • Like 10
  • Funny 9

1 hour ago, iL Dottore said:

Good morning all,

Fairly reasonable night (again on the sofa, but Hey Ho).

A busy morning awaits: but first I have to activate the bear traps and hippo traps because this morning I will be in the kitchen baking:

• A Manchester tart.
  • A Victoria sponge with buttercream and blackberry jam filling.
  • Sausage rolls.

I need to make sure that the area around the Alpine Redoubt™ is secured and there is no possibility of any ursine snaffling of cake. Mrs iD is returning this afternoon and she expects cake, so cake must be protected and provided (although Captain Cynical is tempted to turn off the defences and let polybear waltz away with the goodies and then inform The Alpine Angel of Death as to who nicked the patisserie, then sit back and enjoy the ensuing mayhem)

And after my stint in the kitchen, I will play around with my new Harley Benton CST 24T

Enjoy Saturday

Any pics of the HB yet? I have scanned back through, but unless I've missed it, I'd love to see it.

• Like 11