The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

1 hour ago, monkeysarefun said:

You can only catch and release  them -  spray them and they take about a week to die, Squash them and you need a crime scene clean up team to mop up the mess. 

My preferred method is catch and release - even for the relatively small ones I find. I have an empty whipped topping container and a piece of card on standby.

In my old apartment they used to get in via the exhaust fan in the bathroom. This didn't have a cover and they would drop down through the opening. It could be disconcerting because the fan aperture was above a spot about a foot in front of the throne and while I don't find small spiders very frightening it can be disconcerting to have them materialize directly in your line of vision.

• Like 3
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 13

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

And we get the honour of feeding it and putting a roof over it's head for the next 30 years.

He needs a close encounter with a blow torch for several hours.

And on the news they've just revealed he filmed many of his "encounters" and kept a record of their names.  And then the Police felt obliged to tell the families - many of whom said "I wish you hadn't told us".  Too true.

It also appears that Jimmy Saville got up to similar antics many moons ago.  Do they (Hospitals etc.) never learn?

1 hour ago, monkeysarefun said:

Or do the  huntsman spider test . If its a rainy day and theres no huntsman on your ceiling somewhere your house is airtight .  Probably even the space shuttle would find them on board if it was based here. Its been raining 2 days and I've removed three. Or maybe the same one three times. You can only catch and release  them -  spray them and they take about a week to die, Squash them and you need a crime scene clean up team to mop up the mess. 

PXL_20211104_064324725.jpg.8b368f8100cbac53a913cd4866a038b9.jpg

F. That

Oh, hang on, that's not right - it should be:

F. That :scared::scared:

Fly spray seems to work pretty quick, a wire brush even quicker (but not on your best cabinet).  Or get 'em outside and blowtorch the b'stards.

21 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

In my old apartment they used to get in via the exhaust fan in the bathroom. This didn't have a cover and they would drop down through the opening. It could be disconcerting because the fan aperture was above a spot about a foot in front of the throne and while I don't find small spiders very frightening it can be disconcerting to have them materialize directly in your line of vision.

There'd be a mesh over the Fan grille PDQ in Bear Towers.....

In other news....

A successful evening at College - all paws still intact :yahoo:- which is a good job cos' lounge refurb antics have left them battle scarred and somewhat sore :cry:,

No battle around Bear Towers on my return from College, so I've no idea if it took place or not - perhaps kick-off is postponed until the weekend for some?

And finally......

The LFB have been demo'ing their new escape ladders on the telly - they have 3 in London now.  They reach to the 22nd floor, apparently.  Not with this Bear on top they don't....:no:

• Like 13
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. The freezer eventually de-frosted and a check on the seal showed that it had come away from its setting and a bit of glue was all that was required. I've thrown away most of the contents, they didn't look very appetising anyway. I will still be replacing it but not until next year unless it gives up the ghost before then. It is rather tatty and almost twenty years old.                                                                                                                          

• Like 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Premium

Good evening everyone 

There hasn’t been any more privacy notice messages since this morning (I bet I’ve spoken too soon!). 

Sheilas package arrived just before noon, she was upstairs in the attic so it was a good job I was ready to get the door for her. 

I managed to build the 2 other inspection pits today, I also applied varnish to the central door pillars and to the 2 inspection pits I made yesterday. Then this afternoon, I finished making the spiced apple tea loaf, which I’d left soaking overnight. The kitchen smelt lovely as we were eating our chish and fips. 

Edited by BSW01
  • Like 18

14 hours ago, simontaylor484 said:

I need to seal the floor I have some Everbuild 403 to paint on the concrete floor it reacts with the lime in the concrete and it doesn't need over painting 

The most prevalent home improvement commercials on 'local' television are people with garage concrete sealing/coating treatments and gutter replacements (with various 'systems' that 'guarantee' to keep leaves and fir needles out of the gutters).

The concrete treatments do look nice - I've seen them in display homes. They claim to be more durable than traditional epoxy solutions.

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 10

• RMweb Premium
18 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

And whilst on the subject of guitars, I came across a scurrilous rumour yesterday: that there is a town in China, which has a big guitar making factory, that has been renamed as “USA” so devious (or canny) guitar companies can legitimately sell as “Made in USA“ guitars that are actually made in China. True? No idea.

iD

Years (decades!) ago, my father repeated a rumour that the Japanse has renamed one of their islands "Usa". When I see the initials, I still start to say "oosah".

I see Bear beat me to it.

Edited by BR60103
beat to the post
  • Like 14
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

We were at the dentist today.  I have 3 more appointments to deal with assorted small cracks/glue not holding. The first one is at 8:10 am in 2 weeks.

We have not seen any auroras -- sky clouded over. 

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 16

Good Morning All,

A fairly decent night, for a change. Although I did go to bed late and I slept on the sofa - the one which is normally the province of the doggies. Something psychological going on there, I am sure.

The latest post by the bear has revealed another weakness: arachnophobia! Together with coffee flavoured whipped cream and surgical operations @polybear has revealed enough chinks in his armour to make Captain Cynical wonder whether or not the bear should be offered the position of Executive Vice President Cake Design, Development and Testing in CC’s organisation. Would @polybear be man enough (bear enough?) to withstand being captured, tied up, force-fed coffee cream, eyelids taped open and forced to watch gory films about surgery, whilst tarantulas crawl all over his body and not spill the beans about the Alpine Cake Repository???

Well, I must dash now I have just received a text message from The Alpine Angel of Death, commanding me to buy something for her that she saw on Farcebook that is “only on sale” for the next 45 minutes (sic). Captain Cynical is now not a happy supervillain and may just vaporise a passing anti-vaxxer just for the hell of it…

Enjoy POETS day.

Edited by iL Dottore
  • Like 8
  • Funny 4
  • Friendly/supportive 2

Greetings

Despite the less than promising start to yesterday, a fair bit got done.  No thanks to the bank though who have decided that they will no longer open on Thursdays.  Useful though it is, the Barclays app is no good for downloading and printing statements, unless gentle readers know otherwise.  Never mind, I shall try again today.  The nationally known newsagents did not have the new bookazine in stock that I wanted.  Never mind: I found it in the publisher's webshite and an order has been placed.   Said newsagent did not have self-adhesive labels either.  Fortunstely the High Street is positively bristling with stationers.  I now have what I need to prepare and despatch the seasonal greetings cards.  An e-mail arrived mid morning inviting me to have a booster Covid jab.  I did not need telling twice and in something approaching a rapid response the appointment was made - 11.50 this morning.

When I worked at a desk and used pens, I was always losing the one that I had only just been using.  This still happens and not just with pens.  Yesterday it was the TV remote control that went into hiding at a key moment.  Where the **** was it?  Rummage, rummage.  In the increasingly feverish search a few things turned up, the spare watch among them.  Cue sigh of relief.  Why did I just type 'sign' rather than 'sigh'?  I am awake, aren't I?

Best wishes to all

Chris 

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 18

• RMweb Premium

Good moaning from the Charente.  It's fine again but chilly. However after an hourvor so of sawing logs up yesterdsy we have at least 4 weeks supply of cut logsi in what is now known as the ready use ammunition locker. The woodshed is also very tidy. Guess who was stacking and supervising.  In the afternoon I got some morebof the new shed assembled into a sub assembly. Rather strangely the first 5 pages of instructions make you assemble the roof first. Apparently it is then lifted onto the semi comolete walls as a single unit.  

We gotbour first Christmas card 2 days ago.  The tree will definitely  not be appearing till December.  

This morning has the highlight of a trip to the quack for my 3  monthly prescription. This afternoon,  hedge trimming if it doesn't rain.

Regards to all.

Jamie

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium

5 hours ago, BR60103 said:

Years (decades!) ago, my father repeated a rumour that the Japanese has renamed one of their islands "Usa". When I see the initials, I still start to say "oosah".

I see Bear beat me to it.

I did hear that many years ago there were several towns in the far east named 'Sheffield', all making cutlery.

• Like 10
  • Informative/Useful 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Arthur Itis was having a go this morning so Nurofen has been deployed. I usually sleep on my left side and it my left hip that is worse affected. Its a bit chilly this morning so I'm going back to bed.

• Friendly/supportive 15

• RMweb Premium

Morning, from a 10c dry rock - wonders will never cease, it's bike club morning.

Hip not so bad this morning, just mighty sore around the injection point but the real big internal pain is easing - hooray. Fingers crossed, its a bit early yet for celebrations.

Debs has a big archery competition on Sunday, whole island event - she's the current bronze medal holder but doesn't hold out much chance of success this year, she is out of practice and most of the others are retired folk who can shoot all week, weather doesn't look to good for it either.  As long as she beats the misogynist she'll consider that a win.

Edited by New Haven Neil
added 'of'
  • Like 19

• RMweb Premium

Mooring Awl, Inner Temple hare.. Sort of

Terrible nights sleep not happy, but then I wasn't happy yesterday, everything I seemed to do went wrong and had to be repeated.. Still feel a bit down this morning..

Ben the cautious Collie peered out and said no this morning, we've had high winds and heavy rain most of the night, everything was dripping wet. Although it was clear skies above and to the west, the recently cleared clouds were just off the coast.. 

Big puddles on the way in and rats running across the roads, obviously washed out of their homes.

The only bright spot yesterday was a mass of small parcels in the post box when I arrived home, ordered at different times, some came from around the world and some from the UK but they all arrived together. 

Of  interest those here, some moulds for cobbled road surfaces and stone walling.

A set of sockets and screwdriver tips with a ratchet T handle and also a spanner like ratchet for the same 1/4 inch drive..  All in order to access some hidden nuts on the boat, but once used, they will reside in the muddling tool box as they are so small. 

Also some tiny fixed jammers for 2mm rope no that's Not N gauge that's Boat 304mm to the foot scale.  

Three tins of LSWR salmon paint, they came in a plastic bag, wrapped in bubble wrap, wrapped in a big plastic bag several times over, entirely wrapped in tape, it took me ages to get into the package... No I don't muddle LSWR, but am advised on a web page that's the nearest colour to HR station wood work..

Tyvek, is an interesting material, it's occasionally used as temporary sail material for trials of little boats, doesn't last long, but is cheap.. It's also used very often for "Puddle Duck Racers" dinghies that is, as their sails. https://pdracer.com/ I was considering using Tyvek as temporary sails for Blue Moon , but managed to get some very old real ones for this mast and boom at a very cheap price..

I see Sainsbugs are pushing the use of beans and lentils in our cooking to save the planet... Won't that increase the methane output?

I'm working on another temperature meter, I doubt it will be finished today as its a full pre adjustment measurement, adjust and post adjustment measurement, with lots of short 2 minute waiting times for each one to settle.. During the pre this has been typed, but that's still got over half the work to go yet.

Time to type the next result in.

• Like 17