The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone 

Another bright and sunny start to England’s northwest after a night of rain! The ground is still very wet, far too wet for any sort of gardening, so once again I will be staying inside. But then, once again I am required for door answering duties as Sheila has a package due this morning, anytime between 9:25 and 1:25. 

So my plan is to carry on with what I was doing yesterday, namely constructing the inspection pits for the engine shed. Yesterday I built 2 of the 4 pits, so with a bit of luck, I’ll get the other 2 built today. 

So far this morning, since I logged in, I’ve had to clear the privacy notice 4 times!

Back later. 

Brian

Edited by BSW01
Typo
  • Like 17

11 hours ago, Tony_S said:

The aluminium foil covered bubble wrap stuff I lined our old garage door with worked well. It was stuck to the door with the metallic tape the manufacturer recommended. The bottom had brush type draught excluder screwed on and the top had a rubber strip screwed on. It made quite a difference to the room above the garage too. The replacement roller door is made from plastic and is more insulating and the draught exclusion is much better. 
Tony

That is the same reason I am trying to insulate my garage as well as having a warmer workshop and layout area. A roller shutter door is on my wish list the mechanism/frame for the current door takes up a lot of space I will add a photo when I get chance.

I need to seal the floor I have some Everbuild 403 to paint on the concrete floor it reacts with the lime in the concrete and it doesn't need over painting 

• Like 13
  • Informative/Useful 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, simontaylor484 said:

current door takes up a lot of space I will add a photo when I get chance.

When we had the old door replaced we had the new door moved so the internal space in the garage was increased. The old one was set back to allow the door to swing out as it was raised. 

• Like 13

3 hours ago, TheQ said:

Those built before the 1930's often had solid walls where as since then they moved to first a void between two layers of brickwork or these days a wooden frame covered in brick.

We had a house outside Cambridge which had solid brick walls, and had been built in 1939. We found out (I can’t remember where/how) that it and the few around it were among the very last in England built that way. We lived there through the very cold 1981-82 winter and were comfortably warm.

• Like 16
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

3 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

Finally, a rant: [rant mode ON] as we are approaching the end of year festivities, what’s all this reticence about calling Christmas - Christmas? No one seems to be going around saying that you can’t call Hanukkah - Hanukkah or that you can’t refer to Ōmisoka. However, instead of wishing people a Merry Christmas or sending Christmas cards, we now have to send “seasons greetings“ and wish people “happy holidays“. To quote the great Ebeneezer Scrooge: “bah, humbug!” Acceptance of other peoples cultural festivities is a two way street you know! [rant mode OFF])

iD

Blow that for a game of soldiers!  I send Christmas cards in great number and have just bought the blank labels on which the names and addresses will be printed.  I don't actually enjoy Christmas but spending it in a certain Alpine country makes it a whole lot more bearable.

[Father] Chris[tmas]

• Like 18
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, pH said:

We had a house outside Cambridge which had solid brick walls, and had been built in 1939. We found out (I can’t remember where/how) that it and the few around it were among the very last in England built that way. We lived there through the very cold 1981-82 winter and were comfortably warm.

Probably a bit more sheltered than my 1906 house on a 19ft Norfolk mountain facing the North sea..

Edited by TheQ
  • Agree 2
  • Round of applause 2
  • Funny 6
  • Friendly/supportive 9

• RMweb Premium

It seems the weather around Bear Towers is forecast to be dry tomorrow, which means the chances for a re-run of the Somme is increased somewhat.  However, it has been unusually quiet on the run-up to the battle, with no skirmishes reported.  Perhaps there is some hope for at least a partial ceasefire after all....

In other news...

Bear needs to work out how much Expamet Mesh I'll need to reinforce certain areas to be plastered in the lounge.  Wickes charge 13 quid a sheet, yet TP want 18.68 (and that's trade price too); However, TP will deliver for now't - which could be a real advantage as it's 2.5m long and as sharp as hell.  If I only need a sheet or two I'll swallow the price and get it delivered, otherwise it's Wickes and cut it in the car park...

• Like 13
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. Not a lot to report today, I haven't done much except a bit of eye lid inspection. The fireworks are just starting but as its Diwali its to be expected as a lot of neighbours are from the sub-continent. On the breakfast show this morning they were discussing Diwali and the foods associated with the celebrations, it looked absolutely delicious. When I was working I used to work in the polling stations. My regular post was at a polling station in Barking where  there is a large Indian/Pakistani community and the wives of a couple of the councillors used to bring around trays of Indian delicacies, they soon disappeared.

• Like 19

6 hours ago, The Lurker said:

1. they require triple glazing and airtight windows - does no-one want to open windows any more?

My double glazed windows (5 years old) are quite airtight (when closed). They can be opened as required.

11 hours ago, New Haven Neil said:

Our house is a modern 2002 semi detached bungalow, timber frame, block outer, lots of layers insulation on the timber frame before an air gap - which should not be filled, you will get damp issues if you do. 

The approach here for contemporary construction is usually a wood frame, clad in plywood with a vapor-barrier "house wrap" fabric*, covered in manufactured siding. Interior walls are usually sheetrock dry wall (gypsum) and the void is filled with insulation. (It comes in rolls.)

* Tyvek by Dupont is common.

At the end of construction the house is pressurized and the resulting pressure (after a set time) is measured to see whether it is airtight. The builder gets a "score" on how well this target is hit. I have two permanently on exhaust fans - one in the downstairs bathroom and one in the laundry to make sure no damp/mould accumulates.

Attic insulation may be blown in.

All this is great for retaining heat. I wanted a 'whole house' fan to extract heat in the summer but the builder refused to do this since it would affect his airtight 'score'. I open the windows in summer as much as I can but to shift the thermal mass and really cool it down requires the air conditioning.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 17
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Good Evening Awl,

Elsewhere:

11 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

Good morning all,

Finally, a rant: [rant mode ON] as we are approaching the end of year festivities, what’s all this reticence about calling Christmas - Christmas? No one seems to be going around saying that you can’t call Hanukkah - Hanukkah or that you can’t refer to Ōmisoka. However, instead of wishing people a Merry Christmas or sending Christmas cards, we now have to send “seasons greetings“ and wish people “happy holidays“. To quote the great Ebeneezer Scrooge: “bah, humbug!” Acceptance of other peoples cultural festivities is a two way street you know! [rant mode OFF])

iD

Agreed! Each has their own take on the various celebrations made for whatever reason.

I adopt the French approach: Joyeuses fêtes ! = Happy Festival!

• Like 11
  • Informative/Useful 2

11 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

Finally, a rant: [rant mode ON] as we are approaching the end of year festivities, what’s all this reticence about calling Christmas - Christmas? No one seems to be going around saying that you can’t call Hanukkah - Hanukkah or that you can’t refer to Ōmisoka. However, instead of wishing people a Merry Christmas or sending Christmas cards, we now have to send “seasons greetings“ and wish people “happy holidays“. To quote the great Ebeneezer Scrooge: “bah, humbug!” Acceptance of other peoples cultural festivities is a two way street you know! [rant mode OFF]

10 hours ago, Tony_S said:

Don’t worry. In the real world people still greet each other with Happy Christmas , or Eid Mubarak, or Diwali greetings. Every year certain newspapers get in a bate about someone who claims you can’t say Happy Christmas anymore. Same claims about shops not stocking Easter Eggs. All manufactured indignation. Our family is quite diverse and basically any excuse for a meal.

Very much so Tony. I get so tired of manufactured "culture wars" used to whip up outrage amongst media consumers. I won't name names but the worst offender might be a news company (owned by a nonagenarian whose dad owned my hometown paper.)

"Happy Holidays" is hardly new. Bing Crosby was happy to sing it in 1942. I suspect it became popular in the early 20th century amongst big city department stores in the US (particularly New York) to not discourage their Jewish customers from shopping at that time. It is documented in use by tobacco companies in the 1930s with slogans like "Happy Holidays and Happy Smoking" encouraging tobacco as a gift. There is documented evidence of it appearing in newspapers in the 19th century.

The origin of "Happy Holidays" appears to be inclusive of the holy days of Advent through Epiphany, so one could argue it is actually religious.

• Like 10
  • Informative/Useful 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold

Evening All!

602812348_EveningAll.jpg.1d8c28ac5048c76bc80aee59179ad0ff.jpg

11 hours ago, simontaylor484 said:

That is the same reason I am trying to insulate my garage as well as having a warmer workshop and layout area. A roller shutter door is on my wish list the mechanism/frame for the current door takes up a lot of space I will add a photo when I get chance.

I need to seal the floor I have some Everbuild 403 to paint on the concrete floor it reacts with the lime in the concrete and it doesn't need over painting 

One of the best additions to my garage was some scrap "New offcuts" carpet.   The cold is pervasive standing directly on the concrete floor.      Door lagging "mostly finished", I'm just doing the supplementary twiddly bits at the moment.  

I've also had to add quite a bit of extra tension to the spring to counteract the additional weight.  It probably took another 5 or 6 turns to get the door to balance/stay up.     As the spring is viscous I enlisted the help of the neighbour as it involves the simultaneous use of two spanners and an Allen Key and I've only got two hands!

Above the garage door is a full width window albeit blanked off so you can't see inside the garage.   The thought did cross my mind that the ledge would be wide enough for a length of Peco Streamline and a train with an automated shuttle controller in a moment of silliness :yahoo:.  Might amuse passers-by.   

Does the team think ......

8 hours ago, The Lurker said:

1. they require triple glazing and airtight windows - does no-one want to open windows any more?

Sounds like it.  That is of course until a nasty virus comes along and we are all instructed to fling open our windows .....

Good night!

Alan

Edited by PupCam
Too many "Had"s and not enough "Add"s!
  • Like 16
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1