The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium
39 minutes ago, polybear said:

I do hope that's claimable on Dr. SWMBO's work expenses....

In theory yes it is because this is an international government event at which her presence has been requested.  Whether it is still requested at that price (plus sundry expenses like meals for the day and any taxi fares) remains to be seen.  Accommodation within the Scottish lowland city belt has been investigated and found to be fully booked, closed due to residual Covid-related problems or, where available, is away from adequate public transport links.  Or is in places I wouldn't wish on anyone such as Shotts, Paisley or Greenock.  

One advantage (to her) of travelling overnight is that in a Covid-infected universe she can at least have a cabin to herself rather than sharing an open-plan carriage with as many others as are aboard.  

His Furrship was recommended a different food to his preferred normal recently.  He has always been a fussy eater.  There is only one flavour of one brand he will normally eat.  When we viewed his forthcoming holiday accommodation the Headmistress cattery owner suggested something different which she assured us "95% of fussy cats will eat".  So it arrived today, a trial portion was offered alongside his regular brand and was snapped up almost out of the bag :O  All other attempts at a varied diet have been met with scornful looks, a plaintive whine saying "Surely you don't expect me to eat THAT?" and one pussed-off feline sulking in a fit of the grumps on the sofa.  We'll see whether this one really has made a difference over the next few days.  

It's time to hit the hay.  All that talk of overnight travel has caused a need to inspect the eyelids.  And to remember nights on the train to Cornwall which we hope to manage again soon.  This month we shall be driving down.  Once again so that Dr. SWMBO can avoid the (statistically very slim but of concern to her) chance of becoming infected on a train.  

Edited by Gwiwer
  • Like 12
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 6

14 minutes ago, Gwiwer said:

Or is in places I wouldn't wish on anyone such as Shotts, Paisley or Greenock.  

That is being very judgmental. Have you ever seen the west end of Greenock?

• Like 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, PhilJ W said:

Tarpots was, and indeed is a pub, or it was last time I looked, Tony will confirm as its his local.

The Tarpots pub is located at Tarpots Corner on the A13. That part of Benfleet is sometimes called Great Tarpots. For instance that is the name of the library branch opposite the pub. Once upon a time there was a Great Tarpots farm there. The Tarpots name is allegedly from a time when tar/pitch was produced there for waterproofing ships. Essex shiplap clad cottages were not painted white  they were covered in tar.

As for the pub being my local it probably is the nearest but even after living here for over 40 years I think I have only been in twice. 

Edited by Tony_S
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 9
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-land. I made a sudden move, twisted my hip and it woke Arthur Itis up, fortunately he soon went back to sleep.

2 hours ago, polybear said:

Channel 19 ("Yesterday" Channel) tonight at 9pm:  Hornby and designing the Merchant Navy Loco.

And the preceding program on railway architecture. Most interesting was the Bristol (Brislington) tram depot, a remarkable survivor.

• Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 3

When I bought my new car I insisted on it not having sat nav, the salesman told me I wasn't the first, he said the factory was surprised how many Brits ordered cars without it, I have blue tooth for my phone for hands free, I don't need anything else.

G'night all.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Good evening everyone

the weather has been very kind to me today and stayed dry all day, although when I was doing some weeding before dinner, I thought I felt a few spots of rain, but thankfully nothing came of it!

The wooden sub frame for the cellar fireplace has been sanded down. This task revealed a couple of areas where a small amount of filler needed, so I filled applied some to these small areas. I then went and made myself a muggertea in mybthermal mug, to take to the workshop, by the time that was done, the filler was dry and then sanded. The 3 sections of wood are now stored in the cellar and will be painted on a day when I can’t do any work outside. 

I then turned my attention to the back garden spending most of the day weeding and dead heading. I did do a lot more weeding than I expected to do, but the back garden is looking a lot tidier now though! We still lots of roses in bloom and there are still dozens more buds waiting to flower. 

As the weather was mild and there was almost no wind, I decided to tackle another job I’ve been putting off due to the recent bad weather, that was removing the weeds that were growing in the gutter above the back bedroom. It all seems to have started with the stick of a f@#&%*g firework rocket lodged in the gutter preventing the water running away properly, thus creating a dam and once seeds got lodged there they grew quite big, grrrrrrr! I filled my green bag twice today, roughly a wheelbarrow full, so the green bin is almost full now. 

Once I’d finished in the garden, I spent the last part of the afternoon in the workshop, were I made another 2 roof beams. It was only after I’d come inside and locked up that I realised that I’ve only made enough beams for one roof section, so I’ll need to make another 6 at some point in the not too distant future!

• Like 17

Good Morning All,

As my clients in America had the day off yesterday (Columbus Day), in a fit of self-centred solidarity I also took the day off…

Amongst the many things I did yesterday (but a fraction of what I wanted to do - ‘tis always thus), was to search for an old ER post of mine that I wanted to recycle elsewhere. One of the things I noted, apart from the absence of once prolific posters (some of whom - sadly - are now in the great model railway club in the sky) was how the tenor of ER posts have changed: pre-, peri- and post-pandemic. ER posts have gotten a lot more inward-looking, a lot more self-focussed (along the lines of “what I did on my holidays”) than they were before the pandemic. Pre-pandemic, there was a lot of erudite and informed opinion/experience posted, a lot of thoughtful commentary on others’ posts  (Jock97B is warmly remembered) and a wide range of topics covered - from collecting glass telephone wire insulators to anthropomorphised vacuum cleaners. And now? At the risk of sounding harsh, there’s an awful lot of “today I went shopping” and “I can’t do that because of the virus” sort of posts. There’s always been a degree of sharing of one’s daily trials and tribulations on ER, but now it seems to dominate the thread. 

In comparison, I have just started to take the “Night Mail” - which seems to be where ER once was - with a wide ranging field of topics discussed. Someplace to visit more frequently, methinks.

As the pandemic and associated restrictions ease, I wonder if the posts on ER will become less introspective and return to being as wide ranging as before the pandemic.

iD

• Like 9
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3
  • Round of applause 2

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

I was going to write about what we are doing today but after reading ID’s  comments I perhaps should refrain from doing so.

No idea about the weather, it is still dark.

Have a nice day

Tony

• Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 11

Greetings

It appears that I possess a copy of a chart-topping CD.  There are lots and lots of charts to be topped these days but Grace Petrie's 'Connnectivity' now sits proudly astride whichever chart it is that it is eligible to top.  I am looking forward to being in the much rescheduled presence of the artiste on Friday evening.  When I was talking about travelling to Uckfield yesterday I had not realised that it is the next day.  Oh dear, more thought needed.

As I will be at a meeting of the RCTS Hitchin branch this evening it is timely, though not very interesting, to report that my cheque for renewed membership is in the post.  Before the meeting Poorly Pal and I are due to visit our favourite refreshment outlet in Stevenage for the first time in ages: best arrive before 6 pm lest it be too crowded.  If Wetherspoons have a finest, it is one of them, but that's a good question.  'Spoons should feature in the trip to Uckfield should it go ahead.  I know two in London which are good for breakfast.  The one at Victoria station has generated some amusing tales in the past.  On one visit some years ago a couple of guys were raising merry hell because alcohol was not on sale until 8 am: 24 hour drinking my foot, mutter mutter, etc etc.  Come 8 am what did they order?  Fosters!  Oh dear.

Best wishes to all

Chris

• Like 16
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, simontaylor484 said:

Forgot to add you never had these problems with a 2 quid AA road map backed up with A-Z area maps or similar. 

No and though I have a satnav in the car, it lives in the glovebox, and is almost never used, as I still use just the solution described above, which works well for me.

• Like 10
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, Erichill16 said:

..........and a large slice of lemon drizzle cake. I’m getting to like lemon drizzle......

We are Bear.....resistance is futile......

:laugh:

9 hours ago, Erichill16 said:

Ps.

Polybear,

Sorry to hear about the Bearmobile, it’s awful when something you look after carefully gets damaged by some inconsiderate a***hole.

Sympathies from a car enthusiast.

Robert

Many thanks EH; I'm expecting further news today, though I've no idea what the resolution could be.  Up until now they've been excellent, so telling 'em to get stuffed and go elsewhere probably isn't a bright option as it'd only backfire on me.  Turdycurses.

2 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

In comparison, I have just started to take the “Night Mail” - which seems to be where ER once was - with a wide ranging field of topics discussed. Someplace to visit more frequently, methinks.

Bear "does both".  A bit like having your cake and eating it....

1 hour ago, TheQ said:

I see Ryan air have banned passengers who reclaimed money back from them via Credit cards due to covid causing no flying... Unless!! they repay Ryan air the money.?!!  I suspect that won't hold up in court, It's another reason for not flying with the leprechaun... Is that an insult to Leprechauns?

Most definitely.  I see that MSE have reported them to the CAA as a result; as for Michael O'Leary he's just a [censored]

1 hour ago, TheQ said:

Just to upset a Bear.. we've got free Pizza tomorrow at work....

Bear now upset....

:cry:

12 minutes ago, jamie92208 said:

He did a job for an expat who paid his €7,000 bill with a UK cheque. He'd been renovating his house to sell up and move back to the UK.  The cheque bounced. Mike contacted him and he paid again with a French cheque. Mike took the precaution of alerting the bank about the previous cheque and asked to be kept informed. Yesterday the bank contacted him.  The cheque had bounced. The bank had done some digging and found that the man's house sale was due to complete at 15.30 yesterday at a Notaire's about 10 miles away. Mike was asked to meet a bank employee at the Notaire's office at 14.00.  He did.  The completion had been paused. Mike and the bank person then had to go to the Gendarmarie, who had been alerted by the Notaire.  Statements were taken and the miscreant turned up at the Notaire's to find Mike and the bank official there. Apparently  his face was a picture.  The money has not been transferred and Mike, the miscreant and the bank official all have to appear before an examining magistrate this morning in Sainte, about 40 miles away. If it all goes through Mike will get his money and the other parties will be paid their fees out of the sale proceeds.  The Gendarmarie may also be instructed to take action.  It's good to hear systems sometimes work quickly.

First Class :clapping:

I do hope that he gets whacked with a very large fine as a minimum.  Taking away his right to live in France as well would be even better.  

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1
  • Funny 1