The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, AndrewC said:

get the tea and biscuits. 

I have substantially reduced biscuit intake this year, so much so that Aditi donated our stock of biscuits to her sister’s husband. Some were getting close to best before dates. He is a GP and said the office staff and nurses will eat anything. Aditi mentioned some slightly out of date chocolate. That went too. We wouldn’t have worried about “best before” but have just stopped eating such things. I was more concerned by the advice on Monday from the surgeon who removed my scalp lump not to drink tea. Fortunately only for a day. Coffee and alcohol were also not recommended but that didn’t bother me. 

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 16

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, TheQ said:

Passed deer running across the harvested fields both going to and from the dentists.

When I did biology at school we studied the teeth of sheep. Are deer similar? 

Edited by Tony_S
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 18

• RMweb Gold
On 16/09/2021 at 09:49, Dave Hunt said:

Speaking of the dreaded mass hysteria event, Morrisons have now got mince pies, Christmas puds and decorations on display. Dohhhhh..

This was sourced from B&M in our town recently. No doubt it is also available in other stores, but they already have it marked down 20p below the regular packaging.

20210916_103258.jpg.c08d2e1b6cff9dce4e4ae6ad8606acc8.jpg

Edited by TheSignalEngineer
Picture restored
  • Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 13
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, New Haven Neil said:

I did leave 10p in an account of a different bank (that has the same name as a Scottish industrial locomotive manufacturer) years ago, I suppose they close those.  I have had 8 different addresses since then!

There is a website dedicated to lost Bank Accounts - and finding them.  You never know, if it's a bank or BS that's joined another you could be due for a big payout....

1 hour ago, Erichill16 said:

SWMBO had one of the diced octopus ones  while in Japan a couple of years ago. She bought it from a street vendor thinking it was a sweet, something akin to a donut……..until she took a bite. 

One of the offerings in Korea from street vendors is "Deep Fried Chrysalis....." :bad:

36 minutes ago, AndrewC said:

Just like the clubhouse, ignore what doesn't interest you and contribute + listen to that which does.

Bear sometimes "speed reads" some areas - and skips over some offerings if I get the gist that it may not be "up my street" (I expect others glaze over at the mere mention of cake or kitchens....).  If all else fails - and someone really gets on your ***s you can always block their posts...

18 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

We wouldn’t have worried about “best before” but have just stopped eating such things.

Bear had a bag of fresh sossie rolls from the Co-op the other day that were labelled "best before" whilst also mentioning "consume on day of purchase". :banghead:

18 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

I was more concerned by the advice on Monday from the surgeon who removed my scalp lump not to drink tea. Fortunately only for a day. Coffee and alcohol were also not recommended but that didn’t bother me. 

Never heard the Tea thing before - perhaps iD can explain why?

Tiler's here..tiles going on the wall.....:yahoo:

• Like 12
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, The Lurker said:

I think I recall reading it in one of the Christopher Tolkien books where he goes through the evolution of the text. but I got those out of the library over 30 years ago - and did return them!

I bought those books many years ago.  I have yet to read them!  

Good morning all, while it still is one.  The golden orb warms the Hill of Strawberries and I continue to mostly rest, sleeping more than normal and the improvement in wellbeing slowly continues.  I am told that I might even be "up to" some dishwashing duties today :O

1 hour ago, Dave Hunt said:

Morrisons have now got mince pies, Christmas puds and decorations on display. Dohhhhh......

They have been available in Aldi and Lidl for quite some time now I am told.  No doubt other supermarkets also have the same but as I have seldom ventured inside one these past eighteen months I can't say for sure.  

1 hour ago, AndrewC said:

I'm a charter member of the international procrastinators club

Or you may be, eventually, perhaps ;) 

• Like 16

Our B&m have had x**s gift sets in for a few weeks luckily for me they had reduced the gardening stuff I got 12 quids worth of grass seed for £3.

Even the dog treat strips we get him are Turkey flavour and have x**s theme packaging.

Tried to get some 19x38 tanilised timber its rarer than rocking horse poop round here even the local timber yard hasnt got any.

The timber yard is run by a guy called Tony WOOD.  He is my Grand cousin her maiden name was Hazel Wood

• Like 1
  • Funny 11
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, AndrewC said:

I'm a charter member of the international procrastinators club, or will be when I get around to joining. After that, I'll eventually get to answering the quiz questions. 

1 hour ago, Gwiwer said:

Or you may be, eventually, perhaps ;) 

25 minutes ago, TheSignalEngineer said:

Isn't that a bit of a contradiction, they would never get round to granting chartered status as they would actually have to do something.

They haven't got round to opening the membership requests yet.:jester:

• Agree 1
  • Funny 14

3 hours ago, leopardml2341 said:

Despite what I said......

I can assure you it is not nostalgia, more like irritation with the current direction ERs seems to be taking and a growing number of 'cliques' with 'in the know' comments.

Not really into that sort of thing :no:

Come on ‘my brother to another mother’, let’s start our own clique.

Im not particularly interested in food or motor bikes so just glance over them. There’s so much on here that I don’t need or have time to read everything.

We once borrowed an old bus,an Atlantian I think to transport our layouts, barriers and other parafinalia to the exhibition we used to run in Harrogate. It had wooden bench seats and by the time we arrived we were all very sore.

I think it was in the livery of the Mexborough and Swinton bus company, green and cream. I think it was or did become part of Yorkshire Traction.

Robert

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Bl00dy hell. The price of wood. 

I needed another sheet of 12mm birch ply. It's gone from £62 to £91. The upside is the timber merchant hasn't changed their terms, so it is now free delivery. Saves me a schlep to Footscray. But still, nearly 50% increase in the past 6 months. 

• Agree 4
  • Informative/Useful 6
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium
21 minutes ago, Erichill16 said:
1 hour ago, simontaylor484 said:

And Yorkshire Traction became part of the Stagecoach empire

Yes, one of the last privately owned bus companies I believe.

Yorkshire Traction ("Traccy" to the locals) used to run direct coach services between Barnsley and Worthing / Brighton.  Curious then that Stagecoach now runs in both the old Traccy and Southdown areas.  One or two of us would enjoy summer Saturday afternoons on the sea-front ostensibly watching "foreign" coaches arriving but really with other subjects providing a more interesting view.  Traccy usually used the same coach week in week out which quickly got much more boring than the "competition" ;)  

Warm sun continues to delight the Hill of Strawberries where I have ventured outside for the first time since Sunday.  So far only to the garden though the recycling must be done and that's a mammoth excursion of 75 yards to the skips.  I'll take a picnic!  

• Like 10
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. Council contractors came round this afternoon to prune the planting next to my house. Luckily they didn't cut it back too far and left a lot of the honeysuckle untouched including some of the berries. The honeysuckle was not part of the original planting but an escapee from my front garden. The original plant in my garden died some years ago so I'm hoping to get some seeds to replant it.

3 hours ago, Erichill16 said:

We once borrowed an old bus,an Atlantian I think to transport our layouts, barriers and other parafinalia to the exhibition we used to run in Harrogate. It had wooden bench seats and by the time we arrived we were all very sore.

I think it was in the livery of the Mexborough and Swinton bus company, green and cream. I think it was or did become part of Yorkshire Traction.

Robert

You borrowed a double deck bus (Atlantean) to transport a layout? I doubt it was an Atlantean if it had wooden seats. Wooden seats indicates that it was a crew bus used for transporting workers.

• Like 8
  • Friendly/supportive 1

3 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

You borrowed a double deck bus (Atlantean) to transport a layout? I doubt it was an Atlantean if it had wooden seats. Wooden seats indicates that it was a crew bus used for transporting workers.

Hmmmmm…..

May be getting things mixed up.

Definitely a flat fronted double decker and definitely remember loading scaffolding poles down the central walkway. Certainly was in the green and cream livery of Mexborough and Swinton livery and wasn’t a crew bus.

May not have been an Atlantean or I may have remembered the seating incorrectly. At that time, the 80s there was quite a crossover in membership of the MRC and the bus club and we went on quite a few trips together. I wonder if the wooden seats were a memory from the Leyland Tiger that was sometimes used.

Edited by Erichill16
Spelling
  • Like 9

3 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. Council contractors came round this afternoon to prune the planting next to my house. Luckily they didn't cut it back too far and left a lot of the honeysuckle untouched including some of the berries. The honeysuckle was not part of the original planting but an escapee from my front garden. The original plant in my garden died some years ago so I'm hoping to get some seeds to replant it.

The council strimmed the verges of the track behind us this morning it was a former colleague of mine so we had 10 mind chat over the fence/pyrocanthus hedge

• Like 11

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Erichill16 said:

Hmmmmm…..

May be getting things mixed up.

Definitely a flat fronted double decker and definitely remember loading scaffolding poles down the central walkway. Certainly was in the green and cream livery of Mexborough and Swinton livery and wasn’t a crew bus.

May not have been an Atlantean or I may have remembered the seating incorrectly. At that time, the 80s there was quite a crossover in membership of the MRC and the bus club and we went on quite a few trips together. I wonder if the wooden seats were a memory from the Leyland Tiger that was sometimes used.

It may be that as it was a coal mining area and sometimes older buses were fitted with wooden seats for transporting miners after their shift. I assume it was one of these.

image.png.74b8fd711eb5a205b57a2961742a98ee.png

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

1 minute ago, PhilJ W said:

It may be that as it was a coal mining area and sometimes older buses were fitted with wooden seats for transporting miners after their shift. I assume it was one of these.

image.png.74b8fd711eb5a205b57a2961742a98ee.png

Yes I’m pretty sure it was one of those. I remember thinking at the time (early to mid 80s) that the bus doesn’t look like a ‘classic’ /vintage bus, it’s rather similar to the Bristol VRs and Daimler fleetliners that were in service at the time. I think that’s why I seem to recall vividly the wooden seats.

Must admit though, at that time I was only in my mid teens and wasn’t interested in ‘classic’ buses.

On a later occasion we borrowed Tracky’s  (ck not cc) Leyland Tiger and went to the vehicle museum in Leyland, that was a journey and a half. It had a crash gearbox and every time the driver ‘crashed’ the gears he’d get a round of ‘next stop ‘ bells in his cab. 

• Like 10