The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

6 hours ago, jonny777 said:

Yes, my Dad also hated Ford drivers for some reason

We were a Ford family from my Dads early Anglia, my Zodiac, numerous US Fords and my old Lincoln Mk8 coupe, which incidentally has multiple speed wipers.  Over here there is not so much brand competition as there appears to be back home, none of this BMW v Mercedes thing.  There may be some kids who street race with their favourites and do doughnuts in intersections but thats about it.  Probably enough!:rolleyes:

Brian.

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, brianusa said:

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-cornwall-58146288

What prompts Brits to do this kind of thing on holiday?:angry:

Brian.

Being Pondlife, coupled with too much Lager probably.  Not sure I can see the "£2000 of damage though" - the vast majority of what's in the pool appears to be plastic, apart from one wooden table that is designed and treated to live outside and get wet anyway.

In other news:

Some painting, some skirting, some architrave.  In that order, probably.

• Like 13
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

19 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

…In fact Skoda produced some pretty good cars no worse or less reliable than the equivalent Ford or Vauxhall.

And now that Skoda belongs to the VW group (along with Audi, SEAT and - of course - VW)  they are very good cars indeed. Partly due to the rigourous engineering standards of the VW group and partly because tried and proven components are used “under the hood“ across all marques.

We have a Skoda Yeti and we are very happy with her (“Hettie the Yeti”).  We were looking at a number of similar vehicles before we got her and I think it was Jeremy Clarkson‘s amusing test drive of the Yeti on Top Gear that helped make up our minds.

She’s been in the shop a number of times for repair, but for various dings and scrapes that she has suffered at my hands plus, in one memorable instance, after a trainee mechanic managed to reverse - at high speed - the car he was repairing into the Skoda’s right rear passenger door.  We have only had one true defect emerge in the five years or so we’ve had the car and that was when the rear boot door lock release mechanism failed.

16 hours ago, jonny777 said:

…It appears that these days, life is increasingly about showing off - and what better way (in the minds of show-offs) to do it than with a very expensive car? 

Well, it’s not like that absolutely everywhere. Although Switzerland does have its share of the nouveau riche who like to flash their money about in one way or another, they are mostly (if not completely?) foreigners. The Swiss have a saying: “the older the money the harder it is to see”  something I can corroborate from personal experience.  For a while, the surgeon attending to my rather complicated knee problems was a gentleman who - I later found out - was/is one of THE family that owned a multi billion dollar Pharma company.  And yet, to the uninformed eye, he seemed like a modestly well off, hard-working surgeon (he eventually stepped back somewhat from his medical duties because his Pharma company responsibilities were increasing).

Nice bloke as well.

12 hours ago, Dave Hunt said:

So what stereotype does the Trabant I now drive put me in? :)

Dave 

An elderly East German apparatchik, nostalgic for the days before the wall came down?

A bit of Urban Legend about the Trabant: apparently the Smithsonian Museum had to remove the engine of the Trabant they had bought for exhibition before it was shipped to the US, as the relevant government department deemed the engine to be too dangerous and polluting to be allowed into the US - even though the engine was in a static display, destined never to be used…

10 hours ago, JohnDMJ said:

…You dangle the carrot, you torment! Any chance of a link, please?

I will post the appropriate information in the next day or so.

27 minutes ago, polybear said:

….  Not sure I can see the "£2000 of damage though" - the vast majority of what's in the pool appears to be plastic, apart from one wooden table that is designed and treated to live outside and get wet anyway.

Presumably those costs include labour and (I wouldn’t be surprised to learn) draining, cleaning and refilling the pool.

Well nothing much else for me to witter on about, so I bid you a wonderful Saturday.

iD

• Like 17

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, Erichill16 said:

She always signals her intentions and in fact has a couple that aren’t in the Highway Code

Having spent several years before I owned a car cycling along the A34, A51 and A45 in south and east Birmingham I have plenty of alternative hand signals for errant drivers. Having said that it was probably no worse than when I lived on the other side of the city where we referred to one area having a reputation for rule-free road use as the North West Frontier and the main highway through it as the Khyber Pass. That was 60 years ago.

• Like 18

• RMweb Gold

Good Morning everyone.

A few days hiding away in a field in the White Peak has left me several pages behind so I will endeavour some carch up later. 

46 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

now that Skoda belongs to the VW group (along with Audi, SEAT and - of course - VW)  they are very good cars indeed.

I have had an Octavia for 9 years. Two spring replacement jobs but that's common on most cars round here due to the state of our roads. The only non-wear and tear job which emerged a few weeks from new was a tailgate strut replaced under warranty.

Edited by TheSignalEngineer
  • Like 17

Well another day, and still no big bright ball of fire in the sky. It did get a little warmer around these parts yesterday, enough for the washing to dry.

I had a mate around last night for a chat in The POD, we put the World to rights, along with looking at the planning stage of my MR, oh, and we also consumed some biscuits and coffee, as you do.:D

Anyway, moving on to today, and I will start making Video No 3 of the Build of my MRL which I try to publish to You Tube and my Thread on a Friday. With over 600 Subscribers to the Channel and about 550 Videos to date, It's holding up quite well.

Anyway off to The POD now, so.

Have a good day one and all, stay safe and keep well:dancer:

Edited by Andrew P
  • Like 16

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, Andrew P said:

Well another day, and still no big bright ball of fire in the sky. I did get a little warmer around these parts yesterday, enough for the washing to dry.

Overcast here this morning although the sun is making some effort. Fortunately yesterday had plenty of sunny intervals. The wind was a bit of a problem at times but it meant that the washing dried quickly and all of the camping gear is now cleaned and stowed in the correct places on the rack. I even managed to clean the bikes and check them over. 

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, tigerburnie said:

You're safe just now they're all up here on their summer holidays.

Yep.

Spotted that. 

Swmbo did a double take when she saw one drive past the Co-op.

• Like 14
  • Friendly/supportive 1