The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, TheSignalEngineer said:

I didn't realise that Network Rail were playing at Old Trafford today.

20210725_161040.jpg.78e1b560d3cf69fc195acbfea42b13d5.jpg

That can't be Network Rail.  Look how well kept the vegetation is :jester: 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 14
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. Looks like its going to be a hot and sticky night. The toy fair today was quite well attended and speaking to some of the traders they were quite happy. However the really big local toy fair at Brentwood is no more. The company that ran the Brentwood Centre where it was held went bust and the centre is closed for the foreseeable future.

• Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 12

We seem to be back in action - now after midnight BST.

Very strange website behaviour - working around 8:00pm BST on Sunday, then some time later only permitting a "like" (no other responses) to posts, not permitting new posts and not displaying posted images before , eventually, the site was down. I've noticed a lot of variable performance issues since the last upgrade.

Today is warm (perhaps hot, if 32°C is hot) with cloudless sunny skies but I haven't felt motivated to do much of anything and sat in my air conditioned cocoon, feeling anxious about something, just what, I'm just not sure exactly.

Have a good week everyone.

• Like 4
  • Agree 3
  • Friendly/supportive 12

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Gwiwer said:

That can't be Network Rail.  Look how well kept the vegetation is :jester: 

The outfield was over-watered and slow. We've had hardly any rain in weeks but some of the bowlers were using towels to dry the ball.

The wicket was dire. It was the same one used for England - Pakistan last Tuesday, specially prepared for Adil Rashid to bowl on. It was already dusting up during that game. It was then used for the women's match this afternoon.

The groundstaff couldn't wait to rush onto the pitch with hoses as soon as the winning shot crossed the boundary. The were flooding the square before the players had left the field. Probably trying to destroy the evidence. Had it been a county championship match the Lords Pitch Inspector would have been there for a look at it tomorrow.

• Like 5
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 9
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. @chrisf's remarks about Dudley More bought to mind another great comedian who was a dab hand on the piano and who is no longer with us, Les Dawson. It took an expert pianist to deliberately play badly and a comedy genius to get an audience to go along with the joke knowing full well whats coming next. I avoid Amazon as much as possible and if President Biden has his way the multinationals are going to find it difficult because Biden's cabinet is stuffed with those opposed to multinationals*.

*From the New York Times morning briefing https://www.nytimes.com/series/europe-morning-briefing

• Like 16
  • Friendly/supportive 1