The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. Still a bit sticky but the pollen is dying down and I can breath again. A fox has apparently taken up residence in my back garden. A rather small one so probably one of this years cubs, I went out earlier and placed a bowl of water for it where it will be in the shade at midday and a couple of hours each side.

• Like 14
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 minute ago, New Haven Neil said:

Ah, I meant summer time in winter, double summer time in....summer!  Basically moving everything forward one hour, all year.

But BST in the winter was tried in the late 1960s and rejected because it was too dark in the mornings.

• Agree 9
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

1 minute ago, PhilJ W said:

Its about time this putting clocks backwards and forwards stopped. It was only created to increase munition production in WW1 and should have been scrapped years ago.

So you would not mind it being dark by 9pm in July and 8pm in August? 

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, jonny777 said:

But BST in the winter was tried in the late 1960s and rejected because it was too dark in the mornings.

Yup - but we disagree!  I remember it.  It's dark in the mornings anyway oop north in the winter, another hour makes no difference, the extra hour later, when people are tired, has always struck me as a better idea.

Edited by New Haven Neil
  • Like 3
  • Agree 7

2 minutes ago, New Haven Neil said:

Yup - but we disagree!  I remember it.  It's dark in the mornings anyway oop north in the winter, another hour makes no difference, the extra hour later, when people are tired, has always struck me as a better idea.

I remember it too. It was horrible.

On cloudy days in December it didn't get properly light until about 11am. I don't know how far north 'oop north' professes to be, but from memory it was northern England and Scottish farmers who objected to the idea most strongly. 

• Like 7
  • Agree 4
  • Informative/Useful 1

16 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

Its about time this putting clocks backwards and forwards stopped. It was only created to increase munition production in WW1 and should have been scrapped years ago.

Same with the old licencing laws made so munitions workers didnt blow themselves up

• Like 2
  • Agree 6

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, jonny777 said:

I remember it too. It was horrible.

On cloudy days in December it didn't get properly light until about 11am. I don't know how far north 'oop north' professes to be, but from memory it was northern England and Scottish farmers who objected to the idea most strongly. 

Tyneside then, IoM now - so not much difference - my opinion differs, sorry!

• Like 9
  • Friendly/supportive 1

There is a big movement toward year-round daylight saving time here. All the western states have an agreement to implement it when all the legislatures decree it.

I don't like it, primarily for school children. I don't want them to have to go to school in the dark in winter - I'm sure they have to in Scotland, but here the latitude is around the same as central France (45°N) and with standard time it is barely light at 8:00am in the winter which is sufficient.

The answer isn't to keep changing the clocks. Go back to astronomical time (keeping time zones) where the sun is at the zenith around noon. Just change work and school hours to roughly match a set period after dawn. We now have so much electronic calendaring - even with things like television guides that it is entirely workable, without changing the clocks all the time.

• Like 9
  • Agree 5

• RMweb Premium

Good evening everyone 

Another scorcheroo here again today, blue skies and no visible clouds seen at all today, it got to 27C this afternoon, quite warm for our usual temperatures. Apart from watering the plants this afternoon, no outside work has been done. It got very warm working in the cellar today, even with the doors open! I packed up a little earlier than usual, as Sheila was opening Vidal Baboons hair boutique, so a hair cut I have had!

So, apart from a small pile of rubbish, which I will take to the tip on Monday morning, all that is left in the cellar is a chair, a trestle table and a small wheeled games table, that I have my toolbox and hand tools etc on! The chair, the trestle table are used when Charlie comes round to do some modelling and they, along with the games table can be easily stored in the office when Ian can start plastering. 

The evening was rounded off with a nice bottle of Shiraz and a film, tonight’s choice was the 1st film in the John Wick series. It is all a bit far fetched but enjoyable non the less. 

• Like 15
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Andrew P said:

I don't like dark evenings, its got dark now. :banghead:

As someone who sometimes lurks here but has only rarely been an early riser (in the 1980s and 1990s, either when called out for  work (computing, to fix batch runs) or to ride a bike (for NHN that was pedal cycles) I've never quite understood what ERs is about, except that parallel rails are O/T. Trying to reach versions before the current rmweb is now  not possible, so my guess is that either people relate what they have been doing, or that they are *required* to rate previous posts.

If the latter, I have no interest.  If the former,  I might be tempted to post here. But in the meantime, can I suggest that triple summertime (summer) and double summertime (winter) would be better, at least here on the South Coast of the septic isle ?

• Like 6
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

Greetings one and all

As I type this the perspiration is pouring off me.  But for the electric fan in my bedroom I might well have spent the night lying in a salty pool before the bedclothes absorbed it.  Ugh! That apart, I’m off to Hatfield House later this morning for Folk By The Oak.  The weather forecast augurs well for an open air concert, though it does not mention the desired balmy breeze.  The sun block has been packed, as has my collapsible brolly just in case.  Food and drink will be on sale at the event to supplement the modest picnic that I have prepared.  A few anxious moments accompanied the search for my cool-dude sunglasses.  They turned up in my camera bag.  Well, where else would they have been?  The musical bill of fare includes the Sam Sweeney Band, Kitty Macfarlane and Kate Rusby, but sadly not the Young’uns, for one of them has tested positive for Covid.  An unexpected bonus is that their place on the bill will be taken by Jim Moray.  That gentleman has an infinite capacity to surprise!

To bins and their contents.  Here in Bedford we have a grey bin for ordinary refuse, an orange bin for recycling and a green bin for garden waste.  We also have rubrics governing what goes into which bin that do not entirely conform to the practice of other authorities.  Food waste goes in with general rubbish but glass and clothing belong in designated skips parked in supermarket car parks.  All this is a classic case of Chris’s First Law of Government, which states in essence that things are not the same because they do not have to be.  Never mind: it gives us something else to discuss.

Best wishes to all

Chris   

• Like 16
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

Clear editor, still showing the text of several days ago.

A good night's sleep of 5 hours solid plus 1.5 hours on the sofa.

The MRC has voted to keep in bubble format for the moment.

The sailing club has said it will be still having social events during the regatta, but is having gazebos put up so more can sit under cover outside "but in the open"  in separate groups , we are a family oriented club. They also are keeping one way systems , reduced seating in the club house, and events that don't need such close contact as normal.

Ben the I want assurance Collie is currently snoring in his bed having dragged me out earlier. The northerly breeze has returned, it won't be that warm out there today.

All joints in the lower half of the body are aching at least it's not my back,

I'll start the day out there with attempting another mow to widen the paths through the jungle, it will also show if the fault is heat related or blockage  related.

Then depending on how the legs feel, I may attack another section of sideshow Bob.

Then  paint the steering controls,  lightly sand the main hatch before the next coat of paint.

The other hatch needs sanding, repairing, before varnishing.

Time to get muggacoffee number 1.

• Like 19