The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Golly gosh and whoopie whoopie do dahs, another scorcher by the feels of things. The Good lady has the bedding in the washing machine to take full advantage of the warm stuff.

I off to the bathroom, then throw on my shorts for a plod around the block before my breakfast.

F1 on the box beckons for most of the day to keep me out of the direct sun.

Have a good day one and all, stay safe and keep well.:dancer:

• Like 16

1 hour ago, polybear said:

Ah, but when precisely does a "Bin" become an "Overloaded Bin"?  I can recall when the bin men came round into the back gardens of every house (fighting off rabid dogs in the process), emptied the dustbins (proper metal dustbins) and took them back to the truck for emptying manually.  And travel was on a platform on the back - none of this air-conditioned cab nonsense for them.  Now we do 90% of the job for them, for bvgger all pay.  And the bins are on wheels.....

edit:  And yet they still manage to leave the street looking like Beirut after they've been....

There is a theory that the reason  that this isle we reside in has become a litter strewn, fly tipped wasteland is due to the changeover of dustbins in the mid eighties to the current much larger ones. The premis being that as they were much larger they encouraged the purchase of more stuff as the disposal was easier whereas the smaller bins had restricted it. To me I object to giving the council items such as green waste which can be reused, via composting, at home-or perhaps I'm just a tight fisted old ..........…... I'll leave you to choose.

Edited by Winslow Boy
  • Like 14

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Will have to venture out on a fodder run for a few things such as bread as Tess Coes had sold out of my favourite. I have to make an appointment to have the boiler serviced, it was installed last September but if I leave it too late there will probably be a queue so I'll get it done by the end of next month. Just seen the weather forecast, 31C predicted for London tomorrow so I will stay indoors for most of the day. At least the dry weather is pushing eastwards which will help those where there has been flooding. No news from Dom and Robert. Dom as we know has a more serious matter to deal with anyway and communications are out in the affected areas, even mobile phones but hopefully we will hear from both of them soon. 

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium

26kg of Collie sat on your lap looking straight in your eyes, you can see the Intelligence in there trying to communicate something....

Mooring Awl inner Temple Hare,

4 hours sleep plus two hours plus one hour a very good night's sleep for me.

I'm guessing ChrisF's concert was in the square inside the MK shopping centre, in front of the Theatre. As you  face it , it used to be a big C,&A on the left and several stores including a children's educational store to the right. A little way Behind was Woolies. All of them will have gone now.. not far from there the only McDonalds we've ever been in.. sweet buns "fries". Yuk..

The square is used for Santa, promotional events, etc.

Boney M a totally manufactured group several of whom in their original line up couldn't sing , but were chosen for their looks and dancing. They had to keep dancing around to hide the fact they were miming..

Ben the I want out Collie took me out at 05:30, at that time it was overcast and misty enough to be wet on the face. The northerly wind we've had for several days has died down, and now the mist ls lifting..

I'll take this gadget out later for a tour of sheds and Sideshow Bob. If I can fight my way through the jungle.

Time now to put on the lightweight overalls and venture out...

• Like 18

4 minutes ago, grandadbob said:

I would have thought that the main reason for fly tipping is the increase in landfill tax over the years which has meant huge increases in the cost of skips and other means of rubbish disposal.  When my firm started supplying skips in 1966 they charged £6 for 6 cu.yds.  Today that skip around here costs in the region of £250/265.  I think £6 in 1966 is roughly equivalent to £115 today.

Were there disposal licences which had to be bought in 1966? And above inflation diesel costs? 

Don't think we're comparing apples with apples.

• Agree 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

• RMweb Gold

Hmm,  oops,  hadn't thought of that John.  Of course there is another reason for fly tipping and that's the toe rags who charge people for disposal with absolutely no intention of getting rid of it legally.  (And there are a lot of them)

Edited by grandadbob
  • Agree 16

10 minutes ago, grandadbob said:

Hmm,  oops,  hadn't thought of that John.  Of course there is another reason for fly tipping and that's the toe rags who charge people for disposal with absolutely no intention of getting rid of it legally.  (And there are a lot of them)

Our local police ask us to check people's disposal licenses - but I have absolutely no idea what they look like or how to check validity. I suspect that this applies to many people.

I'm storing rubbish for disposal and will get a skip from a company my sons deals with (and I've used before) when I next need it for house mods. I know that then it'll be done according to the book.

• Like 16

• RMweb Gold
47 minutes ago, Coombe Barton said:

Just realised - green bin day next week - somehow I have to find the time and energy to cut lawn.

Here, the green bins are used for non-recyclable domestic waste. I find that very confusing.

• Like 3
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold

Here we have a large brown wheelie bin for general non-recyclable waste.

Very small brown bin for food waste.  

Large green wheelie bin for recyclables including glass, plastic and cans.

Large green wheelie bin for cardboard and paper.

Large green wheelie bin with brown lid for garden waste (Charged £60 odd  a year for that one, we share it with our neighbour)

Food waste collected weekly and all the others fortnightly.

All my bins are labelled accordingly to avoid confusion.

Edited by grandadbob
  • Like 11
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 6

• RMweb Premium

Our bins are communal ones at various points in the village. A grey one for non recyclable and q yellow one for recycling. Garden waste is either composted or put in a pile till we have a trailer full, then of to the dechetterie.  

Jamie

• Like 13
  • Informative/Useful 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

Morning all

bins, we have 2 a big grey one for recyclables and a poipurle one for landfill stuff, both collected fortnightly, there was a big green one for garden waste, but I make my own compost, so when an extra charge was introduced that became my plant pot storage unit, the small brown food waste one has never been used, with me in the house there is no such thing as wasted food.

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, grandadbob said:

Here we have a large brown wheelie bin for general non-recyclable waste.

Very small brown bin for food waste.  

Large green wheelie bin for recyclables including glass, plastic and cans.

Large green wheelie bin for cardboard and paper.

Large green wheelie bin with brown lid for garden waste (Charged £60 odd  a year for that one, we share it with our neighbour)

Food waste collected weekly and all the others fortnightly.

All my bins are labelled accordingly to avoid confusion.

Not being a million miles from GDB--shire ours is not dissimilar. 

Standard sized green wheelie bin, standard green lid for domestic refuse, when provided by the council.  Most blocks have the same in all-charcoal (a/k/a/ "black") provided by the landlord / managing agent)

Large green wheelie bin, yellow lid, for mixed recycleables;

Large green wheelie bin, red lid, for trade refuse;

Large green wheelie bin, light green lid for garden waste;

Blue bucket for card / paper recycling;

Black bucket for metal / plastic / glass recycling;

Small green bucket for food waste.

Communal recycling skips provided nearby.

Green waste is collected fortnightly and the rest weekly except for the communal skips which should be emptied twice-weekly but are seldom done more often than fortnightly.

The reality is that this is too complex for many people and there is some overlap.

Black bags (which must be tied if you want them collected) into the refuse bin - easy enough.  What goes in them is a matter for each household.

Recycling boxes - placed on the roadside because while the bin-men come around the flats the recycling people don't.  The result is that their contents are picked over by foxes and other creatures of the night and strewn along the road.  Many people simply use the communal skips instead.

Green waste - we have our own composter and the block has a communal compost area as well; no green waste to consider.  Very few homes use their green waste bin in this area;

Food waste - I don't know of anyone who uses their food waste bin for food waste.  I suspect anything which cannot be composted goes in the refuse.

Trade waste - why pay for a trade collection when you can use the communal skips to recycle (thereby filling them all and preventing residential use which is what they are provided for) and simply dumping sacks of rubbish beside the recycling point.  The newly-installed CCTV will catch a few by surprise.

Then there are the lilac-coloured wheelie bins which seem to be used for trade recycling ....... or not.  

All a little too complex for most folk.  

Good morning all.  A poor attempt at a night' sleep has given way to a warm and sunny day Upon the Hill of Strawberries.  Laundry is in progress.  Picnic-creation is in progress.  I am told that the oversized badminton devices are to be taken to a nearby area of enjoyment .....  

• Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 4

Ours are:

Black - non recyclable.

Green - garden bit non food - that's non-recyclable, apparently. Probaby hangover from Foot and Mouth as nothing from the kitchen is allowed in green.

Blue - recyclable everything, cardboard, plastic, glass, paper

Son's in Coventry, green is also food waste.

• Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

We do use our food waste bins for peelings, bones and eggshells etc as we don't have a compost heap.   Although it has a handle that secures the lid the foxes have found a way to open it so now when we put it out it has to be jammed in and surrounded by the big wheelie bins!

Time for The Shed.

Edited by grandadbob
  • Like 15