The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Yes, pH drive away from Niagara and the towns get better almost immediately in Canada.....

Why all the Horrorshows on the main drag (high street) in Canada - I saw no one going into them? It's a joke.

Best, Pete.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I thought I would have an easy task today, disconnect and remove the old washing machine and clean and dust the space ready for the new one that is coming tomorrow. All was going well until I removed the hose and water poured out. The isolating valve wasn't off although the knob suggested it was. Fortunately I always leave access to the main stop cock in the garage and got out to it very quickly. A spanner on the isolation valve (the plastic lever had cracked and hadn't turned the valve) soon shut off the leak and I was able to turn the water back on. The cupboard under the sink is now very clean after its wash. Then I thought removing the flexible waste hose would be easy but it had gone rigid and I wasn't amused at having to squeeze into a damp cupboard to remove it. I think my muscles/joints will be back to their usual (still fairly decrepit though!) state  soon. 

Tony

• Like 3

Good Evening all,  

My family has a link to the Niagara falls,  a ancestor of my S-i-L  Capt Matthew Webb, tried unsuccessfully it has to be said, tried to swim the rapids on 2nd July 1883.....

Now thats added to the fund of useless    information on ER's?  

Enjoy your evening

Trev

• RMweb Gold

My family has a link to the Niagara falls,  a ancestor of my S-i-L  Capt Matthew Webb, tried unsuccessfully it has to be said, tried to swim the rapids on 2nd July 1883.....

He must have turned left after swimming the English Channel rather than right.

• RMweb Premium

Tony, you're clearly living the DIY dream. 

Just placing an order for a new dishwasher. SWMBO has been encouraged to pay an extra £20 to have the delivery men remove the old one and install the new one. 

Yep, the 20 quid might have gone on something more useful like beer. But with my recent fails at WC cisterns....it seems more like I'll have saved a fortune in repair bills. :)

Andy

• RMweb Gold

Good Evening all,  

Now thats added to the fund of useless    information on ER's?  

Enjoy your evening

Trev

A link with both top and bottom of the falls !

My mother was a Webb, so perhaps we are in fact related.

Regards

Richard

• RMweb Gold

Tony, you're clearly living the DIY dream. 

Just placing an order for a new dishwasher. SWMBO has been encouraged to pay an extra £20 to have the delivery men remove the old one and install the new one. 

Yep, the 20 quid might have gone on something more useful like beer. But with my recent fails at WC cisterns....it seems more like I'll have saved a fortune in repair bills. :)

Andy

I had a look at the online installation instructions . The supply hose on the new machine appears that it will have a large anti leak device attached to the "tap" end. So I measured a similar device on the dishwasher and the cabinet under the sink may need a hole enlarging for the hose . I found the jigsaw. However I only seemed to have broken blades so I've had a little trip to Homebase. Rather deserted at 7pm. The jigsaw is now charging up, of course the battery pack (and spare) was discharged.

Tony

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Snap Tony, I got the drill out to make up a little fiddle yard come sector table support only to find I was a piece of wood short and the drill battery was flat. Tomorrow how to fit a Lenz 150 badly...... 

Edited by skipepsi
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

There is a statue of Mr Webb at Dawley.

If you can mistake Niagra for Basingstoke where are the falls in Basingstoke did I miss them?

Things have rather moved on building wise the prefered option these days seems to be a 'warm roof' i.e the insulation is on the outside just under the tiles.

Don

Once again posting in the semi-dark. No sunlight yet but I can see the mountain. It and the sky above and around are perfectly clear with a forecast max of 30C.

It seems we are enjoying a last burst of Summer before Winter rain starts on Friday.

• Like 2

Morning all, 

Had a bit of a panic last night when my hot mail account got closed by (by hotmail!)  claiming it had been hacked...Had to re-verify it via another email account, were they asked me the email addresses of the last three mails I'd sent, and the subject! 

Luckily I always copy several a day to my work address.....phew! 

Enjoy the day, wrap up warm if you're going out, 

Trev

Morning all.

Astounding pictures of the snow on the news last night. Stay safe and warm, all of you who are caught up in it.

There is no snow here. Just a very icy wind. I am currently at home awaiting the chimney sweep who is coming to check the boiler.

Have a good day everyone...

A bit fed up with our two year winter now.

Lots of drifted snow and some small flakes in the air - nothing much at the moment.

I'm told that the good folk of the Horseshoe Pass have been burning their furniture for warmth.

The snow ploughs and gritters have done a reasonable job and, at lower levels the snow has cleared.

Trev: That sounds a bit dodgy to me - Hotmail is something I wouldn't consider.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

Still cold outside but not quite as windy as at the weekend. No snow showers here. 

Today's task is waiting for washing machine delivery, unwrapping it, and following the instructions for installing it. Then use it I suspect.

Tony

Tony,

That's one thing I don't miss about the UK.

I can't think of any retailer around this area who does NOT include installation and taking away of the old device within the retail price. Service is everything.

Good luck.

When are you leaving for Calgary, again?

Best, Pete.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

morning, little bits of snow in the air. 

Just watching (to use the words of the late, great Sid Waddell) "the greatest comeback since Lazarus" -the highlights of England in new Zealand!

Stay safe and warm today (or in Dons case not too hot!)  - Twenty Five Days to the start of my outdoor Cricket League games.... dig out the body warmers!

I've had the strangest experience this morning. Usually I open the curtains to enjoy the view as I sip my TIB. Today, I've had to close them because something is shining in my eyes - could it be the sun?!

Have a good day, everyone!

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

Tony,

That's one thing I don't miss about the UK.

I can't think of any retailer around this area who does NOT include installation and taking away of the old device within the retail price. Service is everything.

Good luck.

When are you leaving for Calgary, again?

Best, Pete.

They will install and take away, though it is an option. I did include the takeaway as I wasn't certain that anybody would be about to help me lift the old one into the car! I suppose I could have left it in the front garden for the local metal "recyclers". As the price from our local retailer is about £150 lower than a well known "never knowingly undersold" store I'm not complaining too much! When our US friend Roxanne visited here in 1982 she was rather shocked at the standard of service in UK retailing. She will be here again this summer and I'm sure she will notice some changes.

We fly to Calgary on Saturday morning. We drive to Jasper on Monday.

Tony

Edited by Tony_S

• RMweb Gold

I've had the strangest experience this morning. Usually I open the curtains to enjoy the view as I sip my TIB. Today, I've had to close them because something is shining in my eyes - could it be the sun?!

Have a good day, everyone!

Ashers,

In your unique situation it is probably limelight!

Regards

Richard

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

The wind is still biting cold here.

Isn't it a law of nature that any battery will be flat when you need it? I have a 24v drill there is usually just enough power to start a job but not finish it. I try to give it a full charge before continuing to hopefully keep the battery in good condition.

Don

• RMweb Gold

There is a statue of Mr Webb at Dawley.

If you can mistake Niagra for Basingstoke where are the falls in Basingstoke did I miss them?

Things have rather moved on building wise the prefered option these days seems to be a 'warm roof' i.e the insulation is on the outside just under the tiles.

Don

And a local school named after him as well.

But oddly, considering Webb's fame as both a swimmer and locomotive engineer :), they don't have a swimming pool!

Regards

Richard