The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Morning all, sun beginning to break through here and a pile of paperwork being waded through, accompanied by Genesis on Youtube.  

Another fence quote arrived over the weekend and this time it didn't make my eyes water. Just shows, get several quotes. The cheapest at £2500 (and VAT registered) was around 30% cheaper than the most expensive  £3300 (not VAT registered). 

The overflow from the tank in the loft is most likely due to the plumber who put the new mains stopcock in cranking the pressure up. Is that what they call a sustainable business? I've cranked it down!  

A productive weekend overall including a couple of episodes of Captain Scarlet and a packet of Wotsits (other salty snacks are available) watched on the sofa with my youngest. We should send the gals out shopping more often!  

Thinking of re-decorating the lounge over Easter. The whole job will mean new flooring (carpet weevil has attacked the current carpet), ceiling and walls to be painted and internal doors replaced.

I'm thinking of laminate flooring (try eating that weevils!) eventually, but this Easter will be just painting the ceiling, walls, decorate waist-height rail and skirting board. One internal door will be removed and replaced later.  Can anyone advise me on the best order for going about this? Ceiling first, then skirting board and finally walls? 

Have a nice week everyone. Andy

• RMweb Gold

Morning All,

Hooray we're open for business!

Lots of rain earlier but dry at present & 6oC

Andy,  I think I would do ceiling, then walls then waist high rail & finish with skirting board. Others may think differently.

Bob.

• Like 1

Tony, the way to get rid of that virus is start the PC up in safe mode and then go into system restore and select a date before the virus struck.  It shouldn't affect any files, just puts the OS back to a state before the virus. 

Edited by gordon s
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Aha, the cloud has rained itself out!

Physio went well, if sweat levels are anything to go by, they are thinking up new tortures for Friday apparently.  They call this 'getting better', persoanlly I think it's an excuse to have fun at my expense (only joking, any physios out there!).

Back to work on Monday at last, although the elfin safety have to assess my workplace and my ability to use the fire escape route, it may all go Pete Tong at that point due to the 9 flights of stairs down from my office.  I'm not too good at stairs yet, and we don't have any at home to practice on.  There's an 'evac chair' but that is reserved for a colleague who is a wheelchair user, and the folk who are trained to use it have to stand by her.

The 2-BIL has just arrived, and it is rather lush.  After reading all the pages and pages of comments on the relevant thread from folk, most of whom have never seen one, it is better than I had expected.  Not perfect, but neither am I, by a long way!  It is certainly a lot better than I could produce from an Ian Kirk kit, and the compromises in its construction are acceptable to me.  It would seem many of the photographs over emphasise things like the size of the rivets, perhaps by being taken in harsh lighting and in very contrasty digital reproduction several times life size.

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

The engineering works overran yesterday so I only got one of my planned three trains, but still a good catch.

When the ballast came into view I decided to photograph the LED warning lights at the crossing, they went yellow, "Click", Red, and a car went over the crossing, I photographed it but, unfortunately, I was too near the lights to get both in view, and the video was also off, so that one got away - I'll be ready next time I'm down at the station though.

After a dull start it's now bright and sunny here - well it was until I typed that, when the sun vanished.

Hope we all have a good day.

• RMweb Gold

Afternoon all

I can hardly claim it's morning when I've just finished a not-early lunch! A great shame that the system is so often grumpy at present. When he did the Warners deal, Andy Y must reasonably have hoped that with a bit more funding behind the site, things would get better, enabling him to spend more time on other duties. I note that the ad software may be the issue, which is a real pity, because by comparison with most free sites the ads here are not intrusive, to my mind, anyway. And I think I read elsewhere on here that Andy is not well either. Let's hope he and the site are back to normal.

Overnight rain has gone, so it's merely cloudy with a bit of a breeze. Not very warm, though.

Hope your week goes well, everyone.

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

Tony, the way to get rid of that virus is start the PC up in safe mode and then go into system restore and select a date before the virus struck.  It shouldn't affect any files, just puts the OS back to a state before the virus. 

I read that on the internet too. However it didn't seem to work! The other internet suggestions, creating another user (or activating guest) and running the virus checker didn't work. I think from the Malwarebytes report that there was more than one Trojan loaded at the time of the infection. Only the RCMP(not really the Mounties) Ukash demand seemed active, but I suspect there was mischief from others as well.

We could get past the RCMP lockout (CTRL ALT Delete, then select shutdown, then cancel) but the non activity of Norton (had to delete and re-install), no networking on other log on ids, and the 6 hour time difference all added to the fun. At least while stuff was processing we could chat on Skype and compare his brunch (Bento box from Japanese stall in Uni food court) with my dinner (Pasta with chicken and mushroom; I was allowed to eat in the lounge as I was surrounded by computers helping Matthew!).

Anyway it does seem OK now.

• RMweb Gold

Decorating. I do ceilings, coving, walls, skirting and then doors. No idea if that is correct or even sensible but I'm not the neatest decorator and it seems to give me the most opportunity to correct errors. All our skirting boards are stained wood and I need to be fairly careful to remove any vinyl matt drips from them as the paint would show through the Ronseal.

• Like 2

I was searching through my old racing file this morning and found a photo of the young trisonic racing his first Kart - at Tilbury (very romantic).

Odd picture in that I'm actually "drifting" (with the tail right out) half way round a right hander  and am looking at the next left hander.

Apologies for the quality it is a photo of a photo (a very old print).....

post-9016-0-24775200-1363614428_thumb.jpg

Best, Pete.

Edited by trisonic
  • Like 9

• RMweb Premium

I was searching through my old racing file this morning and found a photo of the young trisonic racing his first Kart - at Tilbury (very romantic).

Odd picture in that I'm actually "drifting" (with the tail right out) half way round a right hander  and am looking at the next left hander.

Apologies for the quality it is a photo of a photo (a very old print).....

attachicon.gifIMG_20362.jpg

Best, Pete.

Pete

no doubt the VW lovers will note the background to you on the pic....

Back after a short absence trying out a couple of new weathering techniques and avoiding the snow... till today which showed teh best and worst of living nearly at the "top" of Leeds - pretty but a bit slippery for the double deckers.

back to weathering

• Like 1

Memories, memories, Pete.  I started my petrol head behaviour via karting.  In my case it was Class 100's at Rye House in the days of Martin Hines, Terry Fullerton etc.  I didn't race at Tilbury but did go to Blackbushe and Kimbolton.  In the mid 80's I had a great day on a corporate freebie racing 250's at Brands Hatch on the Club Circuit.  One of those days that really sticks in my mind.  Thrashing down past the pits and the death defying adverse camber of Paddock Hill Bend.  Hanging onto a kart that was going very fast with your backside just inches from the floor around Paddock is something that will stay with me forever....

• Like 1

That's a Deavinson (sic) frame from Rye House loaded with a Parilla capable of over 17,000rpm! Like a hand grenade. I'm familiar with all those circuits except Blackbushe. Loved Kimbolton, the town itself reminded me of Nutwood....

Inches? More like 1/4 inch....

Best, Pete.

PS How I learned to love the smell of Castrol R......

Edited by trisonic

• RMweb Gold

I got in this morning but when I tried to post it just sat there. I was only commenting on the weather it just tipped down for about 4 or 5 hours this morning I was expecting to have to provide the blackbirds with snorkles. I would agree with ceilings, walls, skirtings. Although it is a lot easier to cleam emulsion off gloss paint, if you are using a roller on the walls it tends to dry quick and does so before you finish the walls when it is not so easy to clean off. If you do go over onto the walls with gloss a dab of emulsion will usually cover it. If I am doing new work I  undercoat and first top coat the skirtings before fixing ( well actually Marion does the painting) I then use decorators caulk if necessary she then just does a final coat. This is especially useful with laminate, when laying before the skirtings are fixed is much neater.I also use pieces of card to space off the skirting from the laminate that millimetre helps to keep a clean edge on the top coat. The card is then removed when all is dry.

Don

Pete, if you ever saw the film 'Senna', when asked who was the best driver Ayrton ever raced against, I was surprised he named Terry Fullerton from his karting days.  

I'm trying to place it exactly, but I once went to what was possibly a world karting championship at Rye House.  I'm guessing I would have been 18 or 19 so that would make it 1966/67 and it was two days of really terrific racing with drivers from all over the world.  Curiosity has now got the better of me, so I'm off to Google....

Edited by gordon s
  • Like 1

Here's the pic. I threatened from earlier.

(If it were up to me I'd give that driver the sack - or send him for re-training).*

post-7041-0-02602600-1363631332.jpg

* That's Driver Error - not Pete.

Edited by DDolfelin
  • Like 1

Pete, if you ever saw the film 'Senna', when asked who was the best driver Ayrton ever raced against, I was surprised he named Terry Fullerton from his karting days.  

I'm trying to place it exactly, but I once went to what was possibly a world karting championship at Rye House.  I'm guessing I would have been 18 or 19 so that would make it 1966/67 and it was two days of really terrific racing with drivers from all over the world.  Curiosity has now got the better of me, so I'm off to Google....

Ah, that was a film!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Reminds me of my stepson. "No" = "I'll ask Grandma"; "We can't afford it" = "Grandma can". Now in his 20s he still has a "carefree" attitude to money!

Pete

I was concerned about how Matthew was going to cope financially when he went to university but he has been fine. His biggest problem last year in a house share was with people who insisted on buying the cheapest version of food and then refusing to eat it. Now he  is managing his Canadian and UK bank accounts. He does "joke" that we should be nice to him as he'll be deciding what kind of home we get put in!

• Like 1

Evenin all,   

Not able to get on early (my normal 06:15 ish) as it seems there was a problem.......but then I had a number of internet / laptop related problems over the week end....I did try karting once (up near Peterborough, a corporate "Jolly" during a conference  ) but trouble with my gert big feet, seemed to manage to get to pressing all the pedals at the same time.....still I did win the wooden spoon for having the slowest lap time!!!!...

Not much left of the day to enjoy, but try if you can, 

Trev

• Like 1