The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

Morning.

Still dark but it isn't particularly cold. I think lots of rain is forecast for later today.

I will be making sure the house is tidy today. Our neighbours will be coming round for a meal this evening. 

Tony

Good morning all,   

Well at long last the landlord has started to put the new kitchen in......it's in fact better quality than the stuff that was there (locally produced) except this stuff if pre-assemble and made in China. But the counter top is very low.....so  it's not going to do either mine or my flat mates back much good. With luck they'll finish today?

What ever you're up to try and enjoy some of it!

Trev 

• Like 1

Better than a counter top on the floor, Trev.

I wonder which supplier BoD is with?

My own problems (dealt with by the Ombudsman) - reading the Economy 7 meter the wrong way around - was with EoN.

Now back with Scottish Power who have been great in the past (helicopters in to repair iced-up power lines etc.,) but all have to be watched.

Their latest trick is to increase charges without notification at the end of each contract year.

Morning all.  Off to Glasgow very shortly.  If you're interested in the F1, the qualification has been delayed and you can still catch Q2 and Q3 (from 7.50) because of rain.  I'm listening on 5Live Sports Extra as I don't have Sky.

I have 3 parcels to collect from the sorting office en route.  I know I'm expecting 2 packages but have no idea what the third is! Mystery!

• RMweb Gold

Morning screwdrivers.

No, that's not quite right is it?

I don't think I've got the hang of this tool business at awl.

Anyway, it's mizzly here, that awful cross between mist and drizzle. At least it's not too cold.

Feel free to skip this next bit if you have no interest in fuel bill problems.

I'm with British Gas for gas, electricity and boiler insurance. So far they have been great. The problem Is that this quarter their estimated use was more that double anything it has been in the past leading to the higher bill. I submitted a meter reading which was some 500 units lower than their estimated one so I'm guessing that this has confused their computer into thinking the meter has gone round the clock. All this happened yesterday and I have made them aware of the issue. I'll give them a couple of days to address it and then take it from there. As I pay by monthly direct debit it doesn't mean I have to fork out a lump sum but I want it sorted before they adjust the monthly payment.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Morning all

Regarding the energy useage. I am on a online tarriff with Scottish Power which means I get an email reminding me to enter the readings which I do and the system then calculates the useage and the bill. As I pay by direct debit the payment is adjusted if necessary. At least I know straight away if there is a problem. Mind you these tarriffs will probably all go as the government's pressure to offer lower tarriffs to all will no doubt means us all paying more.

Don

• RMweb Gold

Tools can be very useful.

I often blame them.

Zuron cutters are the latest scapegoats.

DD good workmen often spend money on decent tools and have all the ones they need so do not abuse them. I just wish I looked after mine better.

Don

I have a number of tools I bought around 1970 from a mobile franchise called Snap-On. They were not cheap but have proved their worth time and time again. I now chide my son and particularly SiL not to waste money on cheap tools but the latter is always in the "more speed, less haste" mode so continues to require my assistance when he reaches a self- inflicted blockage!

I am interested in DD's comments on Xuron cutters, I just bought a pair but no track laid yet (sporty weekend). I have always dressed the ends with a file after stabbing myself with a joiner years ago.

• RMweb Premium

Morning all...

Slept in a bit longer today to recover a bit after all that's been happening this week. Bright and sunny outside, but expected to turn crummy during the night. I think tidying up will be called for today.

• RMweb Gold

Good Morning All,

Very damp at the moment. It's been tipping it down for hours and looks like staying that way for a while. 6oC.

With reference to energy I seem to be lacking in that department this AM although the gas & electricity are working.

I've just taken "Her Chrissiness" a cuppa & I expect she will be full of beans as usual when she gets up. She has intimated that a major spring clean is necessary which I have questioned particularly as I do most of the housework and although I say it myself I make a damn good job of it! :boast:

The other thing that has slipped her mind is that I've got 3 rugby matches to take part in watch today & I need to be fully fit for that. :training:

England are going to have to raise their game considerably this week. :yes:

Off to count the beer for later. :drink_mini:

Bob.

• Like 1

Day started with greyness and rain but now we have sunshine! Off to a Vintage Fair at a local hotel. As potential exhibits, perhaps we'll be given free admission!!

Have a good weekend, everyone!

• Like 5

Gruffers:

I'm sure Z Cutters have their uses (elephants' toe nails spring to mind) and others use them and recommend them.

However, they don't suit me as they are a departure from my usual methods.

Filing the ends of rails to get rid of invisible burrs is a step too far in N gauge.

So ... a bad workman always blames his tools.

Here is my sorry story:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/69448-what-am-i-doing-wrong/&do=findComment&comment=981892

There is a valued contribution from Gordon (who makes his own track to a high level) and, after experiment, has also reverted to an alternative.

A few seconds with a diamond cutter on a Dremel does the job for me.

Don't let my experience put you off the product.

(Nothing cheers up a miserable person like someone else in the same boat!).

• RMweb Gold

Morning all

A milder night - it didn't freeze - but the longed-for South Westerly wind is proving nearly as biting as the hated Northerlies! Rain expected later, but looking at the sky it could be sooner.  

I was in the drill + slitting disc camp for a couple of decades, and seeing Gordon's rationale for carrying on, I agree this seems best. But the Xuron cutters do make things easier and quicker, especially in 4mm Code 75 & 83. Rather less dressing with a file is necessary than with Code 100. This then leaves the drill available for drilling holes in the baseboard to take the trackpins that others scoff at!

Having had earache from MiL last week because I was late ringing her, I've set the kitchen timer to ensure I don't get distracted by the charms of RMweb! Hopefully she's had some glasses delivered.

Enjoy your weekend.

• Like 2

"Hopefully she's had some glasses delivered"

... and something to put in them.

I take the point about freeing up the drill, Ian, but I'm fortunate in having more than one.

One is permanently fixed to a drill stand though.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

had earache from MiL last week because I was late ringing her

Hi Ian, beware of dependency culture. I can clearly see you are a much more tolerant individual than I but if somebody moaned about me ringing late, I'd ring twice as late next time or not at all.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Have just received a very polite and comprehensive e-mail from British Gas. My bill has been recalculated and 'the system' is no longer under the misapprehension that my meter has been around the clock. This has all been sorted out via their online billing and customer service system in less than 24hrs from receiving the original bill.

Credit where credit is due, well done them.

• Like 4

Especially at a weekend, BoD.

---------------------

This is not a joke:

Just had a frantic knocking at the front door.

A fellow from the village in tears. Inconsolable.

His parrot has just died.

I don't know what I was supposed to do about it.

I did ask him if he was sure.

He's sitting in the Sun Room with SWMBO now.

Not my field of expertise.

• RMweb Gold

I was just about to suggest sitting him down to a certain Monty Python sketch too.

So I guess it's not my field of experience either.

Edited by BoD
  • Like 3