The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

Morning all rather grey this morning.

Andy fixing the toilet shouldn't be that large a bill but it makes sense to change the stop cock. If you get a problem and cannot turn off the water it magnifies it as everything gets soaked.

Don

• Like 2

Morning all, having a quick dabble into the forum this morning.  In work early today as I'll have to orange some more briefing I suspect...

My sympathies - I occasionally have to do something similar for our Chief Minister regarding young offenders when we hit the news...always at zero notice of course!!

Oooops sorry, reply to Mike, not Debs!  Meant to click quote, d'oh.

edit for apology for uselessness.

My policy area is older people, including free personal and nursing care policy.  No jokes about the demographics of ERs...!

Right, decisions, decisions... bacon roll or muesli?

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Morning all rather grey this morning.

Andy fixing the toilet shouldn't be that large a bill but it makes sense to change the stop cock. If you get a problem and cannot turn off the water it magnifies it as everything gets soaked.

Don

Too right, Don.

The part was 72p - if the pin hadn't dropped into the cistern/limescale pit (or space-time continuum vortex as I came to think of it). We searched for it with a torch but had no alternative but to get our plumber to fit a complete new part. The upside is that it's a new bit of kit which should be easier to flush for the littleuns and last quite a while.

The cost rose because the new fitting (which most plumbers seem to carry in their vans) had to be fitted to a non-standard fitting that was originally fitted by someone who thought fitting a non-standard fitting would leave us in fits of laughter. It didn't. The more repairs and home improvements we do here the more we realise the original builders were doing everything on the cheap or rushed. 

But you're quite right, trying to effect these kind of repairs with running water spurting over the room is a hassle. Kicking myself that I didn't know there was an in-line valve. 

Having a new mains valve should make life a lot easier for repairs in the future. 

Andy

Ashcombe,

Thanks for the names.

To me that high forehead that William John bears indicates intelligence of a high order.

Keep us informed of their progress.

I won't need encouraging on that front, Don!

William (now 2.75yrs) has for some time been able to recognise W for William and can count, recognise colours, etc. I was delighted to hear from his mother that, when they reached their home in Crewe yesterday, he immediately said, "Can we go back to Grandma's house now?" He is fond of Grandpa too but has been known to refer to him as "the other one"!

Alice (3.5mths) is very alert and readily smiles and giggles when we play with her. She is going to be baptised on Mothering Sunday so we shall see them again soon. Photos will follow, no doubt!

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Morning all

Weather is stuck. Cold, clear, gorgeous if you are wrapped up.

I can't think of any duck jokes, but recall hearing of a well-bred sort of chap who always referred to bedroom activities as ducking!

I try to avoid offering career etc advice to younger people, because the world is very different from the way it wus in my yoof, but qualifications are probably better at getting you in the door than no qualifications. Even that may not be true today.

I am visiting Deb's hospital-friend this afternoon in Mamers. I hope I can convey all the detail she wants to hear.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

The upside is that it's a new bit of kit which should be easier to flush for the littleuns and last quite a while.

Andy,

What about flushing for the biguns?

I suspect your pin has gone to the same place as those 26xx rods I mentioned yesterday!

Lord Lucan is building himself a loco!

Regards

Richard

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Morning all

I try to avoid offering career etc advice to younger people, because the world is very different from the way it wus in my yoof, but qualifications are probably better at getting you in the door than no qualifications. Even that may not be true today.

Plumber. Or "Lottery Winner". 

The former pays better.  :mosking:

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

Ian - I'm with you on the qualifications, it's depends on a lot of things of course, but a near 100% certainty is having qualifications opens more doors than not having them does - which is how I sell it to the partners kids.

Dull and dismal down 'ere today - had to stop to allow some ducks to cross the road in Harleston this morning, and there were 2 (yes TWO) other cars on "my" lanes, the commute is getting busy.

Have a good day all.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

There was a chap who kept a duck as a pet once. One day, he was out for a walk in the high street with the duck. They were passing the cinema and saw a film the chap wanted to see. They went into the box office and he said "one adult one duck for the main feature please."

"Sorry," said the person in the box office " we dont allow ducks in here"

Dismayed, they left the cinema. Standing outside, the chap thought I really need to see that film and today's the last day. He set on a plan. He tucked the duck inside his trousers, and went back in. He bought his ticket and was enjoying the film until the duck became a little restless. He decided to open his flies and allow the duck to poke its head out for some air.

Sat next to the man were Ethel and Betty. Betty whispered to Ethel "Don't look now but the man next to me has got his thingy out"

Ethel replied "You must be used to that in here Betty"

"Well yes but this one's eating my popcorn"

Edited by colin penfold
  • Like 7

• RMweb Premium

Ian - I'm with you on the qualifications, it's depends on a lot of things of course, but a near 100% certainty is having qualifications opens more doors than not having them does - which is how I sell it to the partners kids.

I'd also like to add that there is nothing wrong about opting for a shift to a different career track, as even with having collected sufficient information beforehand, you can still end up acquiring a different perspective on a choice initially made. I myself could have opted for a teacher training curriculum in the first place, but at the time, I couldn't quite see myself in this job. So far, I but have not regretted my decision to acquire a teaching degree on top of my M.A. - demanding as teaching can be, as I keep finding out in my side job. Which, tellingly, does give me a lot more in the way of insight than most uni courses have done, but that's a different story.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

The man later took the duck to boots, because it needed some lip salve

The duck went to the assistant and said "please may I have some lip salve"

"Certainly sir, will you be paying cash?"

"No, put it on my bill!"

sorry, but you did ask............................

Edited by colin penfold
  • Like 5