The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Sorry to hear of your friend, Ashers.

What a shock.

Brighter news: My friend with bladder cancer is now home after her operation but I don't know what she has in store.

She's very tired.

"Looking forward now to seeing the Steam Railmotor and trailer at Llangiollen in April."

Some of the visiting stock appears on the road before - more interesting to watch how they deal with the huge weights involved.

• Like 2

She then opened the door and enquired if I had deliberately not responded. I replied in the affimative upon which she retreated.

She is lonely. I am N OT!

I will see what today brings forth. I am not proud of my actions but I had to call a halt.

Don`t feel too awkward, Don,

It is often a lesser hurt to be honest, clear and direct in the short-term; to prevent deeper feelings of hurt happening later as the result of continued misunderstanding. :yes:

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

Morning all

Don I don't think I could could put it better than Debs. In a situation like that someone gets upset and the sooner the less the upset.

Thanks for the advice on Llangollen. DD how remiss of you if we needed supplies it is an excuse for another train ride. In practice we tend to stay on a site for a few days walk everywhere around that site then when moving on call into a supermarket to restock. It keeps the milleage down avoids trying to park a biggish vehicle and more importantly the dogs love it. We are already booked into Ferry Meadows in Peterborough the following weekend as I am normally on the Help and Advice stand at the 16mmNG show plus there is the Nene Valley line.

Don

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Morning all. -3 deg C and foggy here. 

Dropped SWMBO off at work and got a mixed day ahead.

1. Return past-use-by bacon to Sainsburys and ask if they make a habit of doing this.

2. Half term here so keeping the littleuns busy with swimming.

3. Investigate hearing aid usage - if I have to shout I may well end up shouting!

4. Some 3d product modelling using animators plasticine. First time I've done this and yesterday's first attempt was not inspiring. Apparently chilling it, using lighter fluid, baby talc, are all tricks professionals have up their sleeves.

Looking forward to the NASA photos from Tony. A mate of mine who lives over in Austin was involved in the Apollo missions way back in his youth developing a mathematical model of the astronauts' clothing system. 

Have a nice day everyone.

Andy 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

-5 at home this morning, it's now a positively radiant -1 at work.

Hope all goes well Mike, take care in the land of strange chimneys and funny coloured locos. :P

My partner is from Wantage, so I know how strange they are from around those parts !

Image upload doesn't seem to be working, I'm going to post this and try again.

Hope we all have a good day.

Edit - nope can't upload images, checking the front page for info it looks like Andy is aware.

• RMweb Gold

A mate of mine who lives over in Austin was involved in the Apollo missions way back in his youth developing a mathematical model of the astronauts' clothing system. 

Andy,

The only mathematical modelling i ever did on clothing systems was very simple: 36-24-36!

Quite a bit of fog here this morning, and the cars have that rime all over the windscreens and windows.

I hope Mike's has an 'Enterprising' trip to Swindon: But drinking in a Pub called 'The Glue Pot'? The name should have warned him!

The day before yesterday I made up a set of coupling rods for an Aberdare 26xx (Old K's kit). Could I find them yesterday?

I've put them somewhere safe...........so safe I can't find them.

Fortunately I was going to order some stuff from Alan Gibson this week, so it looks like I'll be ordering up a new rod kit as well.

I would hazard a guess that as soon as the new rod kit arrives, the old ones will suddenly decide to make an appearance!

Regards

Richard

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Morning all

Pub names that might give you a hint must surely include The World Turned Upside Down, which ISTR was/is in the Old Kent Road, and gives a vivid insight into the result of a few too many!

Yes, cold and clear here this morning, with more frost than for some weeks. That wind has abated a bit, too, so being out is more pleasant.

Was in grumpy mode for most of yesterday, after a facebook PM asking me to talk to the mairie at LM about someone's camping for the race. It is just the sort of thing that Deb might have known how to tackle - and people assume I have adopted her knowledgeable mantle. I have not, and the writer now knows that! I have all sorts of issues about the race and the online petrolhead community that Deb embraced, which diminished my enjoyment of the event over a number of years. Snarl!

Don's romantic events remind me of a similar scenario at work about 30 years ago, when a lady from an adjacent section chased me up and down the building. It really isn't fun. She was married, too.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Morning, late on parade after my physio (torture) session.  Jelly legs and a lot of sweat.... too much information, sorry!  A cold and very frosty start here, very unusual to have frost here so heavy as the surrounding sea tends to moderate it.

I was wondering if a matchmaker was in action at Don's, maybe someone was seeing two people, both lonely, and making 2+2=5?  Best to ask both parties if they actually want some attention!

As a bachelor, maybe there was a clue there from Don.

The steam railmotor....I was ambivalent about it TBH, until it visited the Looe branch.  I was persuaded by Debs (my one, not the 5' 14'' version) to look for footage of it in action as she lived in Looe for a lot of her childhood, and fell in love with it.  There is some wonderful footage of it in action on a perfect day on U toob.  Whatever next, Geordie boy likes GWR loco.... :O

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

The steam railmotor....I was ambivalent about it TBH, until it visited the Looe branch.  I was persuaded by Debs (my one, not the 5' 14'' version) to look for footage of it in action as she lived in Looe for a lot of her childhood, and fell in love with it.  There is some wonderful footage of it in action on a perfect day on U toob.  Whatever next, Geordie boy likes GWR loco.... :O

I'm with you - it is the most magical piece of restoration I have yet come across. It represents the bubble-car or 153 of its day - and while this one is GWR, many other companies played with these, generally with limited success. I may never get to see it in the metal - but, as I have said elsewhere, it is worth 10 Tornadoes, or even replica Brighton Atlantics.  

• Like 1

A cold and very frosty start here, very unusual to have frost here so heavy as the surrounding sea tends to moderate it.

:O

Up heere in the Land of the Northern Haggis, I have just collected SWMBO from the hairdressers in Invergordon, and we drove back along the shore road beside the Cromarty Firth - lovely and bright sunshine - and was astonished to see that the sea along the shore was frozen  at 1130 - I knew we had a cold night with no cloud and a bright quarter moon, but didn't realise it had, and still was is THAT cold! :O

Edited by shortliner
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Morning (ish) all.

Have just spent some time looking at photos and videos of that Railmotor and caught glimpses of other locos too.

You know, those GWR locos can quite grow on you.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Late entry for an early riser due to a variety of reasons including assessment of a cricket scorer.

The Glue Pot - takes me back to when I lived in Didcot and was able to be a member of Swindon MRS - travel down by train go to the meeting - a couple of beers then back to Didcot. :)

As for the steam railmotor - I was there when my (late lamented) mate Dave took a fire axe to the "engine" end - it was covered with planking externally as well as having wood covering  over the drivers windows on the inside - we stood back in awe as he proceeded to get rid of the excess planking to reveal the original windows complete with all of the bolections!

Will try and see it someday - including it Bradford and Bingley Boiler Co boiler.

Warming up in Leeds - sunny day with loads of blue sky!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I haven't seen frozen sea since time spent on a ship in Norway!

Not sure the Railmotor is worth 10 Tornados Ian, but it is certainly equal in terms of achievement IMHO.  It has a certain presence that makes for smiles from a grumpy blurke!

• Like 1

Thank you for the kind comments re the loss of "Queen Jean".

On a brighter note: two photos from the family visit this weekend:-

post-10142-0-13779000-1361277292_thumb.jpg

post-10142-0-22473000-1361277318_thumb.jpg

Have a good day - early fog is clearing here.

Edited by Ashcombe
  • Like 9

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all – snowing around here and I'll be getting me a cup of coffee in a moment. Classrooms today were far overheated for my taste, so I'll also have a shower. Was quite pleased with a 5th year Ethics course, but far less so with the other two I had.