The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

Evening all.

Back from our river cruise and trip on the London Eye. A very pleasant afternoon. We have been looking at the pictures our friends in Connecticut have taken during the big snow storm. Our friend was told on Friday not to go to work as she wasn't "essential" and today the State Governor has banned travel so they are staying in.

Sherry's description of the unwanted passenger sounds rather scary. Unlocking my car only unlocks the driver's door. To unlock anything else requires a second click on the key-fob. I think I now understand the reason for that. The doors also auto lock once you do more than a few mph.

Aditi was once the last person in the car park at work (not her current job). As she started the engine someone ran out of the shadows and tried to get in the passenger seat. She just floored the accelerator. When she reported it, the incident wasn't treated with any seriousness at all and some people even criticised her for not stopping.

Tony

We're fine thanks!

The President of our local power company was interviewed on TV at the height of the storm and was asked how many people were without power: '18 customers", he replied to which the interviewer immediately made a fool of himself by jumping in and saying "18,000! Already?" - "NO. I said 18 customers and I mean 18 customers" was the reply.

Best, Pete.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Aditi was once the last person in the car park at work (not her current job). As she started the engine someone ran out of the shadows and tried to get in the passenger seat. She just floored the accelerator. When she reported it, the incident wasn't treated with any seriousness at all and some people even criticised her for not stopping.

What an appalling response from colleagues. Apparently academia and wisdom do not go hand in hand......

• Like 7

"Aldi just like brands?"

I think they probably cut the brands off - especially if the horses were rustled.

Not sure about the locked car door business in the event of an accident.

Obviously safety first if approached by footpads.

The TV tells me hundreds of thousands are without power, Pete.

Probably elsewhere.

BA have cancelled flights to the region.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Not sure about the locked car door business in the event of an accident.

Obviously safety first if approached by footpads.

I think the central locking deactivates in the event of collision.
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I think the central locking deactivates in the event of collision.

Yes if you hit the sensor box you can unlock a car to steal it. Conversely if you come to a sudden stop by hitting something solid the locks free off.

The TV tells me hundreds of thousands are without power, Pete.

Probably elsewhere.

BA have cancelled flights to the region.

Maybe to the north of here.

BA will use any excuse and then blame the Airports - I learned that many years ago.

Best, Pete.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Don't worry about your car being locked and having an accident.

It's the work of milliseconds to open a locked car from the outside in the event of an accident. Any cop or fireman will tell you that. Lock yourself in and be safe.

Edited by colin penfold
  • Like 5

• RMweb Gold

:yes: Xin Nian Kuai Le :thankyou:

Does that come with rice Debs?

The news has just said 5 killed in the storms Pete. Doesn't sound an awful lot for the area affected roads can be lethal whatever the weather.

Don

• Like 1

After I wrote yesterday I was very surprised to see a report from the local NBC station of finding abandoned cars on the Long Island Expressway - then they realized that 50% of them still contained people!

One woman had been stuck in her car, terrified, since 3:00pm the day before. Anyone who is familiar with Long Island would think this story incredible   - it's like people being lost on the M25.

'Course now there is a scandal brewing because coincidently the Fire Dept turned up at the same time as the news crew and some of the people say that they got the "brush off" from 911 (like 999) operators from the afternoon before.

We shall see. It's difficult because an awful lot of Fire Dept's are manned by volunteers and if they had problems getting to the Fire Station from homes or work.........

Best, Pete.

• Like 2

Morning All,   No weather report from here, (it rarely varies - hot or hot and wet) .

The car door story reminds me of an old chap, retired clergyman IIRC, in St Albans, if when he wanted a lift, would lie down at the side of the road.  Some kindly soul (this being the 1960's) would stop their car to check he was OK. He made a remarkable recovery and was in the passenger seat in a blink of an eye! 

I hope the weather forecast for the UK (8" of snow today???)  turns out to be incorrect,

Happpy New Year,

Trev 

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Good Morning All,

Another dull,dreary dismal, damp start to the day. A little bit warmer at 5oC & sounds like more rain to come.

This morning will be spent doing mainly nothing as I need to "rest" myself for this afternoon's 6 Nations match in
Dublin.
I wouldn't mind betting that my "better half" may have will have something to say about this period of inactivity. :nono:

Bob.

• Like 1

It's pouring with rain here in South Devon too, as it has been for most of the night!

We tried a new meal last night - a three fish roast from Lidl. Salmon, haddock and cod in a cheese sauce with potato and cumble on top. Delish but took 85 minutes to cook! Recommend it and no sign of sea horse!

Enjoy whatever you're up to!

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Morning all rather damp but no sleet unlike yesterday.

Later we are off to the theatre to see Anything goes by the Ventnor Theatre Group. Absolutely no idea what the standard will be like but hopefully will be enjoyable.

Marion was rather amused by one chap interviewed in Connecticut, asked whether he had seen snow like that before yes yes but not there and the drifts had buried the house with them in it. Now thats snow. There were some in Shropshire with snow halfway up the first floor windows one year.

Don

• RMweb Premium

Morning all, trip to Reigate for me this lunchtime in what looks like drizzle. 

Then home and a bit of work on the layout. Quite pleased with last night's progress. Got both baseboards secured together.

Have a nice day everyone.

Andy

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Morning all

Only a couple of degrees above freezing - drizzly, blustery, February yuk. But a lot better than Long Island & New England, apparently!

Good to see Emma (Fay Singpoint) on here - a railway technically-qualified lady who is also a hightly competent modeller, with great models elsewhere on RMweb. I'd love to be at Donny to see BCB, and am delighted the first day seems to have gone well. Warners will be pleased too, and that's good for RMweb's secure future.

Andy B - I was born in Reigate Road, Betchworth, a mere 2.5 miles away.....

• Like 6