The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

hi,

great clip. Pity it didnt show it attacking a big drift/blockage, would have been nice to see the snow fly up every where from inside the cab.

I really must get around to building a set of ploughs for my self, just as another side project huh.gif

cheers

Simon

Hi Dd, stranger and stranger.

Subsequent to your post was another, defending my post and attacking my attackers. That has been removed.

Oh well!

Don

I dont think it's that strange, because I know the background, but it might be opportune for me to have a word.

I saw the post you mention before its removal, and my view is that it was opportunist, disingenuous, personal and political, rather than being about defending you as such. It made an issue of agreeing with you that there was a problem - well yes, that was surely beyond doubt. What it didnt acknowledge is that there is a sensitive and acceptable way of reacting to the problem - a perusal of the Forum Help area will soon show that many posters have found that way. They just say something like 'I dont want to make a big deal of this, but...'

It then went on to lecture me (by implication, not by having the courtesy or, might I say, the balls, to name or quote me), on having a 'hissy fit'. Now ordinarily, I might have smarted a bit at that and felt suitable chastened, but in this instance the person delivering said lecture is someone who has a long history of having public tantrums here whenever something isnt to his liking. I clearly recall, back on a very early RMweb, him storming out in a huff because the forum wasnt working properly and Andy wasnt fixing it quickly enough for him. I agree my reaction to your post was a bit OTT, but I'm damned if I'm going to be lectured about it by someone who needs to get his own house in order, someone who is not on genuine moral high ground but on a platform of double standards.

I note you've made an apology in the other thread and I offer one likewise - although I stand by my basic point (and always will) about ingratitude to those who provide this facility for us, I could have been more restrained in making it. I would though with respect suggest that you're wise enough to stop digging around now, otherwise it might well appear that you're looking for support out of the main forum area and amongst a small gathering whom you might expect to support you. I'm happy to let it go and I hope you can do the same

To the other Early Risers, apologies for this intrusion, but I trust you can see why I felt it appropriate here

• RMweb Gold

Spring? You must be joking ;)

Its been 3 days of rain from lunchtime onwards each day - just perfect for when I cycle home :blink:

I've been 'drowned' 4 times this week - today being the worst - the rain managing to get through the trousers. Perhaps the April showers have come early? I was p*ssed off on Monday when a van driver thought i'd be funny to drive in a (perfectly avoidable) puddle next to me. Shame I didn't get the number plate - there have been a few cases of this which have ended up in the courts! :lol:

Needless to say it is still raining so i'm playing 'Clocks' on the keyboard trying out a particularly convincing drum beat at the same time. I'm one of those people who cannot play when I know anyone is watching, however, I can now walk into a packed dinner hall and start playing (explain the logic in that?!)

I would record it but I am bound to make mistakes!

Here are the songs I can play on piano/keyboard in case anybody is interested:

- Clocks - Coldplay

- Solsbury Hill - Peter Gabriel

- Romeo and Juliet - Dire Straits

- Walk of Life - Dire Straits

- So Far from the Clyde - Mark Knopfler (of Dire Straits fame)

- Border Reiver - Mark Knopfler

- Chasing Cars - Snow Patrol

- What I've Done - Linkin Park (hate every other song by them!)

- Send Me On My Way - Rusted Root (Ice Age 2? theme tune)

- Walking in the Air

Quite a random selection i'll admit - as you can guess my favourite band/artist is Dire Straits/Mark Knopfler although i'm looking to play more Coldplay songs in the near future.

Jam:

I was going to ask if you were a closet Mark Knopfler fan but then you said

as you can guess my favourite band/artist is Dire Straits/Mark Knopfler although i'm looking to play more Coldplay songs in the near future.

IMHO a great band; on my compilation car CD is the 13 minute live version of Sultans of Swing. We must talk sometime!

• RMweb Gold

Absolutely! I didn't know you were a fan too.

I only have one CD of theirs but I reckon i've listened to the vast majority of their songs. IMO, from the videos I have seen on *Youtube, his live performances are fantastic! I know the chords for Sultans of Swing (or SoS as me and my friend call it!) but that's all I know apart from the fast electric guitar solo!

One of the very few songs I don't like listening to is 'Private Investigations'.

At the moment every Wednesday last lesson, me and my best friend are allowed to have a jamming session and at the moment we've been playing 'Sonny Liston' - he's doing the guitar, and i'm drumming using two biros and my lap! :lol: It sounds remarkably good considering tbh!

* I don't know if you've found these selection of live performances by them on Youtube: Check out Mark Knopfler at Florence 05 B)

• RMweb Premium

Oh, I also very much like Coldplay - plus several "old school" bands and singers such as Simple Minds, U2, Simply Red, Phil Collins and Peter Gabriel. Electronic music such as that from OMD or the Pet Shop Boys is great, too. And I also am quite partial to Paul Simon, Simon & Garfunkel, Sheryl Crow, Alanis Morissette, the Dixie Chicks and Sarah McLachlan :D .

• RMweb Gold

I've suddenly remembered how much I like Coldplay after hearing Viva la Vida on the radio the other day. I'll have to put the songs on my laptop because I haven't had the chance yet. U2 are pretty good too, I also have a strange liking for Queen as well. :lol:

I'll have to listen to the Coldplay CDs I've got and remind myself of how good they are. B)

I need something else to learn by them so i'll see which one takes my fancy...

Edit - I've just found my one other CD I own. I don't know how many of you have heard of The Lighthouse Family but they used to be my favourite group before I found Dire Straits. It's a totally different style of music. I shall have to listen to it because I haven't had it on for about 2 years! :blink:

Hi all,

To Penine MC, I have read your post, thank you. As far as I am concerned the matter closed with my apology.

HAPPY Friday all.

The weekend looms! and Good weather is promised. I'm sorry I cannot promise you the same.

It sounds as though you have been having a wet time of it Jam.

I read through the list of the music you can play, none of which meant anything to me until I saw Romeo & Juliet! Ha, I thought, but I was thinking of

Prokofiev and Tchaikovsky.

Have a productive weekend all.

Morning All,

Good to see so many Straits fans on here! They produced some great songs - particularly in their early days before they hit the "big time" with Brothers in Arms. Private Investigations isn't too bad - but I guess it conjures up some pretty black images with its lyrics. Some of their "lesser known" songs are good too. I'm thinking particularly of "Industrial Disease", "Water of Love" and one of my favourites "Skateaway".

I quite like the Lighthouse Family too Jam - always pleasant, listening that usually puts you in a good mood.

The weather here, is mild and wet this morning.

Have a good day everyone :icon_wave:

Good morning, happy Friday to all.

For some unknown reason we now have a MASSIVE television appear in the sitting room.

Great lump of a thing about the same size as my desk.

I would think it would be excellent for viewing if the sitting room was 100 metres long.

That's not all.

The picture has an 'aura' of red as though it's meant to be watched through 3D glasses.

There do not appear to be any knobs or buttons to correct this.

The aerial is wired directly through the freeview box and reception on the previous set was OK.

I can see I'm going to be spending time sorting it.

• RMweb Premium

Morning all!

Woke up with a headache, which I could imagine may have to do with the weather. Far as I can see thus far, cleaning the flat will be on the agenda today, while tomorrow we'll be invited for dinner.

Later ;) .

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

Rather cloudy and drizzly here. I don't think I'll be doing any gardening, though I may bash down the compost bin contents a bit so I can get more in. I'll be wet after taking Robbie for a walk so I'll do it then. I'd quite to some more wiring on the "Austrian" layout this afternoon. I may move the location to "Ruritania" to prevent too many criticisms of the rather mixed stock I possess.

Dd. Was your new television by any chance an ex-display model? Modern sets come with the option of showroom or home settings. The showroom setting is very high contrast.

Tony

• RMweb Gold

Good to see so many Straits fans on here! They produced some great songs - particularly in their early days before they hit the "big time" with Brothers in Arms. Private Investigations isn't too bad - but I guess it conjures up some pretty black images with its lyrics. Some of their "lesser known" songs are good too. I'm thinking particularly of "Industrial Disease", "Water of Love" and one of my favourites "Skateaway".

I quite like the Lighthouse Family too Jam - always pleasant, listening that usually puts you in a good mood.

Absolutely - I think Industrial Disease and Skateaway are two fantastic songs. I love playing the fast piano arpeggios at the end of Tunnel of Love but as its there only for a couple bars there isn't much of it! BTW, I learn all my music by ear rather than by sheet music - I'm not very good at reading sheet music!

I like a lot of Mark Knopflers newer stuff such as Donegan's Gone etc.

Very true about the Lighthouse Family, it always gets me in a good mood and is almost relaxing.

"Dd. Was your new television by any chance an ex-display model?"

It's (unfortunately) not a NEW TV as such.

It's something called a Projection TV.

I had been planning a higher tec. set but the old one was working well.

Then this lump arrived yesterday and, to avoid any SWMBO/social problems, I'm trying to get it to work properly!

It's much too big but married men will know of my position in the matter.

• RMweb Premium

Morning All, Normal level of oktas in evidence. Definitely a working from home day today. Very close to a CBA day in fact. Lots of stuff to do on the trainset before it's outing in a couple of weeks but most of the weekend seems to be booked up with eating, drinking and dealing with a list from herself! Have a good one all.

Cheers

Dave

• RMweb Gold

Ds, glad the date went well.

Dd. Those projection TV's are rather big. The only person I know who has one lives in the US and I suspect it came with the house. When TV's had cathode ray tubes my brother was always fiddling with the convergence controls inside the back of the set. He was also seen flying across the room a few times after touching the EHT parts accidentally. He used to watch the picture rather than the programme. I don't suppose there are any test card broadcasting channels anymore.

Tony

• RMweb Gold

When my mother was visiting last summer we went into PCworld so I could get something for Matthew. I found my mother admiring the giant televisions (46" I think). She lives in a nice but compact flat and it would not have been appropriate but she did look rather disappointed. When we replaced our 25" fat screen television last year I thought something like a 32" widescreen would be about the same vertical height but my wife insisted the 40" screen would look better. I've got used to it now!

I've posted something I found in your TV engineer thread.

Tony