The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

We dumped all our printing stuff when we moved here 10 years ago - just as well by the look of it!  Martin's photo of the bottles of dev and fixer certainly brought back memories though!  I was never any good at it, but Mrs NHN was a dab hand - as she at one time worked in a newspaper photo lab, she should have been!  Nowadays we thank our digital stars frequently.....

• RMweb Premium

I never did any developing of film as part of a hobby though I had a few exposures to the process at university or when teaching science. 

We did photography and photo development in our arts course at school. I actually quite liked this, though even then, I had strongly gravitated towards technically oriented motifs!

• RMweb Gold

Regarding B&W film

In secondary school, in my A level year (1978) a mate and I were given some black and white film to go and photograph "anything", we went around the old parts of Rock Ferry which were being redeveloped, photographing the buildings and the few remaining people. The films were processed in school and the prints hung up as a form of exhibition, they weren't bad considering, but the negatives were retained by the school, I'd love to have those negs today.

At university I continued developing and printing, but at a very low rate, about 5 films I think, sadly a couple of those films were signal boxes which were displaced by the Sheffield and Doncaster PSB schemes of 1978/1979 - I may still have them somewhere I guess.

When I was working for BNFL I eventually joined the metallurgy department which was really the "you break it, we find out why" department, this involved a lot of photography, the electron microscopes had in built cameras, we photographed welds and smaller joints with Polaroid cameras and the bigger stuff was captured using Hassleblads, all was developed in our own fully equipped dark room but strangely I never got back into doing my own stuff.

Nowadays I capture colour pixels and one day I might be bothered enough to process them, sharpen, straighten / whatever but at least I'm out there capturing still - 533,000 photos and counting - and I share them, for free, as much as my time permits.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

We did photography and photo development in our arts course at school. I actually quite liked this, though even then, I had strongly gravitated towards technically oriented motifs!

My first experience of developing film was from an X ray crystallography camera. The film had to be processed in total darkness. That was the fun bit, then there were lots of calculations to work out how far apart the atoms were!

At the school I attended we made pinhole cameras but only looked at the image on a tissue paper screen. 

• RMweb Premium

I did a bit of B/W developing and printing in the 70s in evening classes.  A couple of people had volunteered to do some for me but the results were so poor I decided to have a go myself.  My favourite attempts were of some mine ruins around Coniston in the Lake District and THE favourite was one of two guys who just walked on scene below me framed by an old ring handle on what looked like a trapdoor.  One of them became my OH. :friends:

We had a go at printing (and in colour) at home a few years later when we tried using the bathroom and then the shed but both were short lived.  I did some more in the 90s on a graphic design course but I'm much happier using the computer these days - but I'm not into photoshopping steam onto model locos, you'll be pleased to know - well, not yet, anyway.   :D

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Shock horror.  Be prepared for this one if you are in an occupational pension scheme when you hit age 65!

I've just received a new letter of coding from HMRC and my Code has dropped from 810 to 206 - immediate thoughts of strangling George Osborne and demolishing The Treasury not to mention a building in Liverpool.  However reflection and some more careful number checking shows that the State Pension in effect becomes a Tax Code of its own (and is tax free) plus the residual amount from my old Code goes to the railway pension.  So not so bad.

But there is of course a big con in there - the railway pension has thus far grown at a better inflation rate than the state pension and while they should soon be on the same rate we all know that the thieving politicians can't be trusted any further than we'd kick them if we had a chance. So they therefore get a bigger tax take of one's total income if the occupational pension increases at a greater inflation rate than the state pension (which drives your tax free allowance).

Pete-I've got one recording of EC's version of Double Trouble recorded live in Tokyo in 1979.  (It's one of my favourite tracks)

Regards

Bob

I think I remember that one, Bob. Plenty of "quack" from the guitar? The in-between position on a Stratocaster.

Best, Pete.

• RMweb Gold

I still have two slices of Christmas cake left! No bids please already spoken for.

Mike they will screw you whatever way they can since I retired early we have lost the marriage allowanceI paid voluntary contributions for a while until they reduced the number of years to quality for your state pension ( under today's rules I had more than enought at 50), Marion's pension has been deferred for 5 years, the increased tax allowances have been withdrawn for new over 65's and they say you should plan for the future!

Ash are you on the north side of TQ. I used to like going out that way to Shaldon then Dawlish rather than the main roads.

Don

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Mike they will screw you whatever way they can since I retired early we have lost the marriage allowanceI paid voluntary contributions for a while until they reduced the number of years to quality for your state pension ( under today's rules I had more than enought at 50), Marion's pension has been deferred for 5 years, the increased tax allowances have been withdrawn for new over 65's and they say you should plan for the future!

Don

Alas Don I think 'they' increasingly see pensioners and pension funds as a source of money to be tapped ..(and I'll go no further as it will get very political).  

However it makes me very angry that those of us who took care, and went without, in order to make provision for our old age see money creamed off for no apparently useful purpose.  At one time I was paying 12% of salary for my occupational pension and for a very long time it was at 7% (and annual pay rises not keeping pace with inflation) and I think my part of the old BR fund is now back up to 7% contributions.  In some respects I'm lucky as I have quite a reasonable pension income - but I paid for it including AVC funding that I wasn't wholly allowed to get back, either as cash or pension, because it took me over Inland Revenue pension limits; there is a lot wrong with 'the system'.

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

I think I remember that one, Bob. Plenty of "quack" from the guitar? The in-between position on a Stratocaster.

Best, Pete.

I think so Pete - I've got it on the Crossroads compilation set but it was originally released on Just One Night & has also go Albert Lee on guitar.

I absolutely love it!

Bob

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

As I said in another thread - this is the problem with recessions. Whether we like it or not, governments need money, and they pay for all the key things in life - health, education, social services etc. While there are rightly scandals about MPs' expenses claims, the sums involved are not significant in altering the wealth of the exchequer. Easy for me to say, I know, as I don't pay UK tax, under EU legislation. But France is just the same, with M. Hollande adding a % here and there to get more money in. That £3k that I was suddenly asked for in the Autumn brought me up short - but the levy was legit, and I/we had simply been overlooked in previous years, as pesky immigrants.

Tough for a lot of people just now. I know I'm a lot luckier than some.

• Like 4

Just heard on the news that MP's reckon they deserve a 33% pay rise and to keep their final salary scheme. At the same time they refuse my friend who can't work the new "Employment Support Allowance". Don't get me started on chief exec's, bank directors etc.

Grrrrrrrr.....politics, sorry

Ed

• Like 4

Ash are you on the north side of TQ. I used to like going out that way to Shaldon then Dawlish rather than the main roads.

Don

Maidencombe, I believe, on the Shaldon road.

I said that without moving my lips!! :scratchhead:

Just for the record, we're actually on the Teignmouth Road although you go through Shaldon to reach Teignmouth. I can understand why you would opt for this route, Don - the scenery is stunning with the countryside to the left and the sea to the right although it's better not to gaze at the views while driving as there are some treacherous bends! In the (almost) 18 months in which we've lived here there have been about a dozen accidents along this stretch.

Edited by Ashcombe
  • Like 2