The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

And the Hungarians have been eating it....

Afternoon all.

Don, sorry to hear of your sad news.  I often wonder why people say that Christmas and New Year is the worst time to lose a loved one for when it comes round and round again, it's so easy to remember them, adding fond memories to all the other pleasant things we create around ourselves.   I think it was on here, that I learnt that some people put a tree decoration on their Chrtistmas Tree in memory of someone.  Wish I had thought of that - what a lovely idea! 

Never used a chainsaw, garden shears are about the best I can boast of, but these days I struggle with a table knife and on a piece of meat!

Polly

• RMweb Gold

I think it was on here, that I learnt that some people put a tree decoration on their Chrtistmas Tree in memory of someone.  Wish I had thought of that - what a lovely idea! 

At the Royal Marsden Hospital in Sutton (& Chelsea) for a donation of I think £10 or £15 you can have the name of a loved one put on a star that is then placed on their Christmas Tree & you also receive a star lapel badge. The name is also put on the order of service for their annual carol services.

Bob

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon All

Sorry not to have checked in recently - pressure of work, new hours (worse than the old with more late finishes than before, just not QUITE so late), and a need to use the computer for more urgent stuff like banking and so on non RMWeb purposes.

First off Donw - so sorry to hear your news - hopefully your e-friends here can offer you virtual shoulders to lean on.

Otherwise - saw what I thought was a UFO today, but it turned out to be the sun - first time I've seen it this year.

I fully endorse the use of a log maul for splitting - I have a good axe, and a maul, and there's no comparison at all - the axe is pretty hopeless.  The knack with a maul is to strike the log on an outer edge then it splits very cleanly and easily.  Never used a chainsaw, and never plan to do so.

Stopped smoking while at uni, when I was "lucky" enough to see the disection of a diseased lung belonging to a deceased 40 a day man, and that was that....

Currently not drinking much of that alcoholic stuff though the odd glass of a quality port is still an option.

Regards to All

Stewart

• Like 2

At the Royal Marsden Hospital in Sutton (& Chelsea) for a donation of I think £10 or £15 you can have the name of a loved one put on a star that is then placed on their Christmas Tree & you also receive a star lapel badge. The name is also put on the order of service for their annual carol services.

Bob

At our church (St. Matthias, Torquay) we have a small tree at Christmas, kown as the Memorial Tree on which you can place cards with names of loved ones lost recently or in the distant past.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Debs, I think you and 'my' Debs are soul sisters!  She's a Cornish farm girl, and is pretty self sufficient in most things!  She can also drive a steam loco, drove for many years on a patrk based miniature passenger carrying line owned by friends.  True love....and she's a biker too!

Don, another virtual shoulder of support here, should you need.  Awful times for you.

Deb (H) took me out in the camper today, I was really surprised with the number of lambs in the fields, loads of them.  Didn't used to be until late January or February up north, most of these looked 2 - 4 weeks old.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I`ll have you know: I`m from the original Mother Earth News generation....a fully paid-up back-woods woman; with heart a singin` and cheeks a blazin`. :yes:

My Stihl 009 chainsaw is an eon old; I bought her (new) in `85 if I recall correctly.........She`s served every Winter`s needs since: I keep her very-very sharp and cutting-true and clean her fully after every day`s use (and the chain goes in a jam-jar of 'maintenance oil' `till next time). :angel:

Several years ago, I did cheat and fabricated a hydraulic log-splitter from an RSJ and a hydraulic ram from an old JCB...`works well from the tractor hydraulics; but makes me feel lazy and out of touch with the work.....Even now in my later-mid 50`s, I can still swing the maul for a couple of hours at a time with a reassuring cadence. :boast:

Debs

I don't suppose you're into needlepoint or flower arranging as well are you?

Regards

Richard

Edited by Happy Hippo
  • Like 2

Debs

I don't suppose you're into needlepoint or flower arranging as well are you?

Regards

Richard

Sadly not :blush: ..........I appear to be lacking in many such departments; although I can bake and clean-house reasonably well! :yes:

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

DebsI don't suppose you're into needlepoint or flower arranging as well are you?RegardsRichard

Flower arranging with a chainsaw and needlepoint with a maul?

• Like 3