The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Morning all, last day of holiday, the rest is weekend. Tree's are now coming down on Sunday in the traditional manner as decreed by the youngest one, which will take up a lot of time as in our house things are put away properly. If she could get in the loft Mrs B would no doubt stipulate how they were placed in there too. Outside is still very mild but cooler than yesterday about +5C and dry again. 

Morning all.

Dull, overcast but mild down 'ere today, ... Oh, has someone already said that?

Last day of preparation before the students start back on Monday. Travelling in shortly but just had to answer emails before I leave.

Echo TGIF. Probably POETS day for most, if there's anyone in!

• RMweb Gold

Morning all

"Tick" for weather here, too. Not at my brilliant (?!) best due to a poor night with some sort of rebellious digestive tract. Survival is likely.

Trev - worry not, some of us find phones with instrucciones in English to be pretty unfathomable! They might as well be in Double Dutch! Anne Droid and and I were never meant to be lovers, it seems. Her loss, of course.....

Poets' Day had existed as a concept for quite some time before BRB and Unions agreed salaried staff could reduce their hours from 38 to 37 in the mid-80s, I think. Finishing an hour early on Friday was the neat way to do this for "middle-turn" staff - and it made it even more pointless to come back from the pub after lunch!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Morning all and overcast here. 

Years ago when I worked in an RAF establishment the tradition was that Wednesday afternoons were devoted to sports. The staff made up the time on Saturday mornings. 

Time marched on and this particular practice changed to normal Monday to Friday working. Except for one Air Commodore who carried on going in on Saturdays - it was years before his missus bumped into someone in the high street and learnt that he was the only one still working Saturdays. It was even more years before she forgave him. 

Donw, you've a good point about getting "used" to exercise. I believe the answer is that you keep variety in the exercise programme so that your body is always "on the back foot" so to speak. I'm inclined to agree that anyone proposing to cycle 130 miles and keep up with experienced road cyclists is going to come a cropper, at best be trailing about 30 miles behind the group. 

Andy

• RMweb Gold

Morning all,

weather much the same but at least it's not raining and the river had gone down about another 4-6inches yesterday although still plenty of flooding about down by the river, I think we've currently got more seagulls in residence than most seaside towns.  Toady is Tesco but as yet hoovering has not been mentioned, possibly a management error?  

Tomorrow is the Maidenhead & Marlow club's show - not a massive affair by any stretch of the imagination but always worth a visit and Kevin Robertson will be there with his bookstall to tease the moths out of my wallet.  Last year they did some nice bacon rolls as well so i wonder if that will be continued?  Oh and a few layouts of course...

Have a good day one & all

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

Rather overcast but dry here. Quite warm though. We are off to Bromsgrove later. We are staying in the hotel where the wedding (my brother's) is being held. Robbie has been delivered to his home for the weekend.

Tony

• RMweb Premium

Morning all ,

weather is about ditto to most of the above areas , no major plans today ,

I will have to go out for papers though , the question is wether to go to Tesco

in walking range or into town with the added chance of a coffee and sausage

sandwich .

A bit of shock news came my way yesterday , my mate and co-builder Stuart was

taken to hospital on new years day after suffering what turned out to be a heart

attack , he has had surgery and a stent fitted and should be coming home today .

I think his new year resolution was to avoid hospitals after a recent problem

involving surgery for un-related issues .

Time to get moving , enjoy Friday .

Morning...

Today's forecast is partly Sunny 2C Low -5C (first time above zero for a couple of days. Snow showers tomorrow.

Global warming seems only to affect Europe..........................

Daughter off to Mini Junior UN Conference in Hershey PA.

Best, Pete.

• RMweb Premium

Good morning all.

Spells of sunshine (Magic!) though it looks as though it's raining a few miles to the north - a big bank of thick cloud coming this way?

Serious modelling time to get Southern Region layout ready for Llanberis exhibition in February.  Don't panic.  On this one, I'm just on standby for the cries of  'I need some help'....and regular top-ups of food and drink.  Inbetween, I can be found in Wheeltappers or  tweaking my own track plan (no deadlines here - ha ha).  I'm still on holiday so no "W" word around either.  Lovit.

Enjoy your day.

Polly

PS  That big bank of cloud has just arrived....

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Morning.  Slow start as the hip is going bananas for some reason.

Chainsaws.... several years ago whilst cutting wood I had an accident which crushed several toes, despite having protective boots on - heavy tree and another person wasn't  watching what they were doing.  While getting patched up the surgeon asked how it had happened (noticing protecive trousers etc) and afterwards showed me that day's 'Times'.  A gent was up a tree chainsawing, dropped the chainsaw and all but cut off his helpers head....dead. Needless to say I am more than careful whilst using ours!  Yes, it has a wrist brake, which presumably the 'dropped' one did not, and I have the relevant training to use it.  Useful tools, but deadly if not respected.

Now about the cyclist....Darwinism indeed, have you called the ambulance service to be on standby?

• Like 1

I don't like using a chainsaw off the ground - at that point I call in the Pros.

I have noticed that they connect a rope between their waist and the saw of such length that it would swing below their feet (but no further) should they have to drop the thing.

Personally I think they are way more dangerous than guns...

Best, Pete.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I have a chainsaw - but would only ever use it (once I pluck up the courage to do so) for wood on the ground - for the tree trimming and climbing jobs I get the professionals in (and they even have full railway lineside safety qualifications so they ought to know what they're at.

Mike (Sidecar Racer) - PM (including good wishes from Mrs Stationmaster) sent re Stuart.

• Like 2

I had a close shave (almost literally) with a chain saw years ago.

I now treat them with even greater respect.

Although ... I once had a large axe bounce off a tree and whack me on the shin so I suppose all tools deserve respect.

At the seashore yesterday a small wader joined in the excitement of the seagulls begging for my lunch.

I took four pictures of it from the car window.

Unfortunately it didn't appear in any of them!

Fast little critter.

Maybe a Knot.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Indeed I don't use the chansaw for anything above ground level myself.  Having a wood burner though, it does see a lot of use normally, but this winter we had to buy 'ready to run burn' due to my hip.  You are well advised to treat these things with respect, yes.  I look like Robocop when I'm sawing!

• RMweb Premium

Indeed I don't use the chansaw for anything above ground level myself.  Having a wood burner though, it does see a lot of use normally, but this winter we had to buy 'ready to run burn' due to my hip.  You are well advised to treat these things with respect, yes.  I look like Robocop when I'm sawing!

I just remembered my classical Latin... Veni, vidi, vici: I came, I saw, I conquered.

• RMweb Gold

I just remembered my classical Latin... Veni, vidi, vici: I came, I saw, I conquered.

ISTR Sellar & Yeatman in "1066 and all that" identified this as misunderstood by the Brits, who believed the Romans had accused them of being weeny, weedy and weaky, lost heart - and the rest is history (or bunk, if you're Henry Ford).

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I suffer enough with scalpels, soldering irons, hot glue guns, razor saws, jelly babies, etc etc etc.

Goodness knows what I would do with a chainsaw.

Don't forget the Meccano screwdriver. I shed so much 11-year-old blood with that it's a miracle I'm still here.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I've used chainsaws in the past, and guns. Pete is quite right, chainsaws can turn from friend to foe in an instant if not handled correctly.

I don't use them anymore as I have a son who is a fully qualified arboculturist, so he can do all the chopping and trimming needed in our garden

Apart from the usual cuts and scrapes from modelling tools, the only big injury I've managed to give myself was slicing a chunk out of my right index finder with a Myford lathe.

It didn't even have the motor attached at the time!

I was re-assembling it and tried to push two adjacent gear wheels onto their respective shafts simultaneously, to try and mesh them together: A bit of resistance so I pushed harder, then the resistance was overcome and the gears shot down onto the shafts, meshing together as they did so with my finger stuck between them.

I was able to remember and quickly recite all the rude words i'd learned when I was in the Army!

Regards

Richard

• RMweb Gold

I've used chainsaws in the past, and guns. Pete is quite right, chainsaws can turn from friend to foe in an instant if not handled correctly.

Regards

Richard

I never found guns a problem - put the ammo in here, squeeze the trigger and the result comes out of the far end of the barrel which is kept aimed down the range at all times.  One did however need to exercise particular care with Bren gun barrels after firing a few bursts (but in the CCF we only got to that very occasionally and only if we considered to be more than competent with 'Mr Lee-Enfield's' rather delectable rifle).  Chainsaws are definitely a lot more frightening as they have the ability to 'shoot' back. 

• RMweb Gold

Given there seems to be some experience here can anybody suggest a cheap and easy solution to my problem (one that does not invove a chainsaw or any other form of certain death)

I recently had two trees cut down and elected to have the tree surgeons leave me the wood for my wood burner. They cut the trees into slices of an appropriate depth for the wood burner leaving me just to chop the slices into logs. This went well with the smaller ones but my axe just won't split the bigger discs.

I have seen log splitters for hire but I will pay as much to hire one as the value of the wood I will end up with. I see that you can buy wedges to hammer across the surface of a log to create the all-important first split, but do they work?

All suggestions gratefully received