The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Morning all from Amsterdam, where the SUN (big yellow thing in sky) is arising! Not raining either! Mind you the back road to Bristol airport at 5am was like driving through a river. Ex was not impressed (but she did offer!) I think she just wanted to make sure I left the country!

I too before I left started on scanning some of my slides...managed to get a few done. But not tried to change to B&W. Will have a play.

Enjoy your day!

Trev

-6C here but nothing unusual, going up to a high of 0C (one degree warmer in the city). No precip in the forecast which is good news. Breeze very cold indeed.

Fiscal cliff turned into a pimple, it seems - so much hype......

Have a nice one, the normal weather here is invigorating, I hate it when it is too warm in Winter. Skiing forecast at the resorts is good even in the Poconos. My favourite, Lake Placid (upstate New York), is looking very good, indeed. Beautiful town, if you've never seen it.

Best, Pete.

Edited by trisonic
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

Spectacular sky this morning

post-8525-0-63094600-1357115078_thumb.jp

Not sure if it bodes well. Still a dry sunny day yesterday was a real pleasure. Walked the cliff path with the dogs however so did everyone else! Some kind soul who hadn't used their fireworks on NYE let them off last night. We had taken great care to have the TV on loud and avoid the Dogs getting scared NYE. Last night with no warning we were not prepared so two quivering dogs.

Don

post-8525-0-63094600-1357115078_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium

Morning All, Looks kinda grey in these parts but the oktas aren't leaking. Off to the osteopath again in a minute for (hopefully) the last visit. Back is much improved after one treatment, copious quantities of liquid muscle relaxant and much bopping over new year.

Have a good one all.

Cheers

Dave

P.S. Happy New Year

• RMweb Gold

Morning all

I surprised myself last night by actually playing a DVD. This is much more complicated than it sounds - there are three DVD players/HDD recorders attached to the tv, and I had to suss out which one I was using. Deb had thoughtfully labelled the three remotes - but not the machines. The tv in Deb's bedroom defeated my brother when he was here - too much complex technology surrounding it!  

I have also been enjoying a rather long (nearly two hours!) YouTube music video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aui1jcb1Gm4&list=PL8BMOGa7acdZJckqOzvNvzJL07cAvFDnb&feature=mh_lolz with Fourplay in Japan - backed by a full orchestra, and receiving rapturous applause. You need to skip the impenetrable talking heads at the beginning.

Weather has moved on here, too. Much colder, and a clear morning with frost.

Hope those back at the grind can cope!

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

A dry, but cold, morning, rain forecast for later.

Back to work blues when I awoke at 06:45 this morning, dragged myself out of bed, Jill and the kids still slumbering soundly of course.

Quiet drive to work, feeling a bit low and then as I was between Starston and Harleston a white flash to my left and a barn owl crossed my path and landed on the 30mph limit sign, unfortunately I couldn't stop but I could crawl past him/her and admire.

The sun was coming up and like Donw I captured it on pixels.

Harleston

post-6662-0-64944200-1357116072_thumb.jpg

Metfield

post-6662-0-51508600-1357116076_thumb.jpg

Christmas Lane, Metfield

post-6662-0-08258400-1357116078_thumb.jpg

Looking across the edge of the old airfield, Metfield

post-6662-0-82048700-1357116079_thumb.jpg

A discussion with a mate regarding some old aerial photos of Ellesmere Port, confirming that I'd found a picture of a signal box closed in 1926

By the time I got to my desk my mood was a lot better and so to work ..

Have a good day all.

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium

Morning all. Back from Shropshire, where the internet connection was up and down so often it was impossible to post. 

Saw a strange golden disc in the sky yesterday. And the sky was a strange blue colour. All back to normal now though.

Abstemious New Year's eve for me - a pint of beer around tea time. Stayed up to see the New Year in, although most of us were looking at our watches around 10ish thinking....

Back to work today but with the children still at home. So, going to be an interesting day trying to do conference calls with CBeebies on in the background.  

The Christmas tree lurks in the sitting room like a guest that doesn't realise the party is over. Destined to come down on 12th day, Sunday.

Took a look in my garage and realised it has turned in to a tip again. Time for a massive clear out - many old editions of BRM, Railway Modeller and Model Rail destined for recycling!

Catch up later. Andy

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Morning all

Everything back to normal- in work - Our Southern train delayed!!

Its amazing that all the different trains (many local / regional services)  we used from Prague to Brussels over the Xmas break all ran on time. Got back to UK - Southern services were delayed - our train 30 minutes late!!

Ian

• RMweb Premium

Morning, a long night suffered as Mrs NHN appears to have contracted the winter vomiting virus.  Her first day off work for years, of course she was the only cover for her area of work today, lets hope the Minister is off too.  The trouble with living in a small country is you don't have to be very senior at all to be directly serving our lords and masters.

Never mind, not long until TT now....

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Morning all,

nice stroll in town yesterday - the river level has dropped about 6 inches since Friday and it is now only over the banks in a few places but lots of folk were out gawping or almost dropping their young offspring into it and all the expensive caffs (Maison Blanc level) were chockablock but we got into a locally run one for a cuppa and was recognised (and recognised) a chap I was at school with and hadn't seen for about 30 years; that now makes 4 of us from my year group who still live reasonably locally and can actually recognise each other.

Not so sunny today and I understand we are on a Tesco expedition when herself has finished the ironing.  Have a good day one & all.

• RMweb Premium

Wow - I can post at work again after using a different housekeeing routine suggested by the techies - seems it was not an RMWeb problem at all, but I was using an out of date application to clear my caches and memories, and the problem was to do with quite a few applications, and  it was only once it affected my work based systems that I could actually get the advice to get things resolved

• RMweb Premium

Morning all ,

grey and miserable today after yesterdays sun , so changable so quickly .

Off into the town shortly to the PO to get the car taxed , tried on Monday but the queue

was halfway back to the door so did'nt hang around .

No major news from this area so I'll wish you all a pleasant day and sympathy to those that

have to work .

Edited by Sidecar Racer

• RMweb Gold

Off into the town shortly to the PO to get the car taxed , tried on Monday but the queue

was halfway back to the door so did'nt hang around .

Have you tried taxing online Mike?  The big advantage is that you don't have to remember where you've safely stowed all your documentation as Swansea knows where it is for you - very handy I've found.

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

It is best if you do renew before the end of the month but using the online system you become taxed straight away and are down on the ANPR system as being in a taxed car even though you are not displaying the correct tax disk. I think that is still an offence however.

• RMweb Premium

Have you tried taxing online Mike?  The big advantage is that you don't have to remember where you've safely stowed all your documentation as Swansea knows where it is for you - very handy I've found.

I have done a couple of times , the renewal notice said not available before the xxth of the month , by the time I remembered

it needed to be done it was getting close to festive time and with the possible delays with mail I decided to do it at  the counter .

Also it makes me use my legs a bit , I must not sit here all day , fresh air and exercise are to taken a bit more frequently

this year .     :O

Edited by Sidecar Racer
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

A rather satisfactory first day back at "the office". Another 364 to go and the year will have been ok. :) 

On the modelling front I'm weighing up traversers vs sector plates vs cassettes. Also trying to get my head round applying the "Manual Point Control" thread to my viaduct layout. 

Spent some time with my youngest bringing him up to speed on Captain Scarlet this morning. Reckon the SPV vehicle would be worth taxing!  

Andy

• RMweb Gold

Also it makes me use my legs a bit , I must not sit here all day , fresh air and exercise are to taken a bit more frequently

this year .     :O

My resoluton too.

Unfortunately it hasn't stopped raining long enough for me to even think about starting to put it into practice.

• Like 3