The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

A'noon all, late on parade as usual!

Sprouts... mmm, niiiiice, as they'd say in 'Jazz Club'. With vinegar...? Might give that a try this year.

With herself dropped off round her Mum's this morning I had the house to myself for the first time in ages so bunged on a couple of favourite railway dvd's, those lovely 'D&E On 35mm' films, the Diesel Hydraulics in the Thames Valley have lifted the old mojo from it's slumbers, particularly the black and white outakes from the Julie Christie film 'Darling', shot at West Ealing in 1965. A random episode of 'Man In A Suitcase' followed that with numerous sharp cut suits, sheepskin jackets, shiny Ford Zephyrs and Mk2 Jags... the '60s must have been a great time if you were in your twenties or thirties!

Lots of ebay stuff to photograph and upload this afternoon so I'm told... have a good weekend all ;O)

Edited by Rugd1022

"I, for one, will never quite regard butter in the same way again."

I will have to go to confession this afternoon!

I too favour skipping straight to #9, in my case a large brandy.

A major change in my life. In previous years at this time of the year I would make a trip to the bottle store with a long list of requirements so as to be able to satisfy the wishes on any of my visiting friends.

This year, check number of bottles left in case. Job done!

Interesting discussion on plurals in English

What, I shudder to ask, is a No.9?

iD

p.s. out of purely academic interest, do you dis your gruntle (or gruntle your dis for that matter) differently in Somerset to, say, Dorset or Yorkshire?

Forgetting what you wrote yourself just minutes before, must be a real sign of getting old...... :D

iD's Preferred Sprout Recipe:

1) Wash and trim sprouts.

2) With a knife, make a slight "X" shaped cut in the bottom of each stem.

3) Place in steamer, sprinkle with pink salt (Himalayan Rock Salt) and a grinding of white pepper.

4) Steam until "al dente (This will mean that the tip of a sharp knife will meet just a little resistance when piercing a sprout).

5) While sprouts are steaming, melt a good sized knob of butter and in it sweat a clove of garlic (pushed through a garlic press)

6) Drain sprouts and toss in the garlic butter

7) Taste and adjust seasoning.

8] Place in porcelain serving bowl, decorate with strips of lemon zest

9) Open a bottle of favourite drink, tip sprouts into wastebin.

• RMweb Gold

iD's Preferred Sprout Recipe:

1) Wash and trim sprouts.

2) With a knife, make a slight "X" shaped cut in the bottom of each stem.

3) Place in steamer, sprinkle with pink salt (Himalayan Rock Salt) and a grinding of white pepper.

4) Steam until "al dente (This will mean that the tip of a sharp knife will meet just a little resistance when piercing a sprout).

5) While sprouts are steaming, melt a good sized knob of butter and in it sweat a clove of garlic (pushed through a garlic press)

6) Drain sprouts and toss in the garlic butter

7) Taste and adjust seasoning.

8] Place in porcelain serving bowl, decorate with strips of lemon zest

9) Open a bottle of favourite drink, tip sprouts into wastebin.

iD

iD

You invented the number 9 iD :no:

• RMweb Gold

WindowsTM with a capital W is the name of a product and therefore singular. If you have two Windows computers you haves two Windowses. smile.gif

Martin.

Trade mark or not it refers to a product which is to its very concept, plural. The whole idea of windows is that there are multiple windows so that you can multi task. If it only opened one window, it wouldn't be the product it set out to be - therefore Windows are starting. :locomotive:

• RMweb Premium

iD

p.s. out of purely academic interest, do you dis your gruntle (or gruntle your dis for that matter) differently in Somerset to, say, Dorset or Yorkshire?

You have to wear a different style of hat .

• Like 1

You invented the number 9 iD :no:

Ah! I had not realized that my puerile jottings had become a legend in my own lunchtime....

And I had naively thought that a "number 9" was a delightfully rustic folkloristic practice celebrated by country villagers in deepest rural "Zummerset", either that or some testosterone laden exploit involving alcohol or women or both... (come to think the first does not preclude the second...)

One lives and learns, one lives and learns...

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon All

Been a bit under the weather recently, hence my absence - I've been here but keeping my head down a bit. Night sweats have been causing insomnia, and all the tests have come back clear, though my blood sugar's a bit higher than it should be, but I've not been totally good over the diet of late - I've never yet been able to completely kick the wine gums, and I found that I've been having more that I ought. Perhaps just drop the gums bit and settle for the wine.

30747 out on the razzle, so here's a chance for a bit of me-time thinks I - no such luck - the shopping list appeared, and also a missive that we're down to the last two bags of coal already, so a trip to the coal merchant as well - picked up a couple of bags of rock salt while I was at it. Then a trip to that well known emporium of all things edible, and in the end, didn't get home til after twelve, then back out to the local Co-op for the things that were not on the list when I read it, but were when I got home!

Anyhow, hope those who have snow are warm and cosy, those who are ailing are getting better and those whose teeth need attention are getting dental care - I am lucky as I've had an NHS dentist for years who still supports the NHS so even complex treatment comes in at a maximum of about £180.

Regards to All

Stewart

Edited by 45156
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

This has been a wonderfully sunny afternoon and as I got my purchases done around noon, I can stay inside and keep warm tonight. More snow, possibly with some freezing rain thrown in, has been predicted from about noon tomorrow, so I probably should leave the house in time on Monday!

Just back from the marathon. In order to describe it, these were my tweets today

1. In a bloke park in a clothes shop
  2. Getting to be rather an expert on the bloke parks round here :)
  3. On donkey duty - taking shopping so far back to car - third such trip - I have my uses.
  4. And now a shoe shop bloke park
  5. Fourth donkey duty accomplished.
  6. In Marks and Sparks bloke park with others similarly afflicted. :)
  7. Fifth and final donkey trip - now to escape!!!!

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all, still full of sn-t and feeling rough but Chesterfield beat Port Vale so someone round here is OK. Only 5 more throat torpedoes to swallow and I should be healthy! The only trouble is my throat has closed up so it is difficult to swallow them. More sleep required, have a good evening all.

• RMweb Gold

Evening all, nice and cosy here. The week's washing has been done, bedclothes changed, all the boring stuff done, so it's sport, pizza and a few beers at the moment.

I've made an executive decision to replace my 25 year old central heating boiler, so had the next door neighbour in to price it for me (it's his trade). I'm going to have the gas fire/ back boiler, currently in the lounge, taken out to be replaced by a boiler in the airing cupboard, and I'm going to have a log burner put in in the lounge.

Good job I like baked beans, 'cos I won't be able to afford much else to eat for the foreseeable future!

Have a good one.

Edited by PhilH
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Never mind Stewart , at least while you were busy you were'nt suffering the edification and finer

points of latin terminology . :O

I didn't, I read them all, and an erudite discussion ensued load of ole drivel it was...

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Good job I like baked beans, 'cos I won't be able to afford much else to eat for the foreseeable future!

Shoud be able to turn the new central heating right down then.

• RMweb Gold

Evening all.

A successful day down at the wheeling and dealing that was the Banham Winter Fair - Jill sold £130 of her home made (real, not the plastic variety) glass Christmas tree decorations, which is extremely good. The hustle and bustle of a village fair was just too much for me ( :no: ), so I'm having a rest now.

• Like 2