The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

.........I`ve waited years for that one to come up! :laugh:

Many years ago I arrived at work one morning in a new suit. One colleague looked at it and said "Well, Ian - if you were going to get another suit, you might at least have got a new one!" He then fell about, saying he'd waited decades to use that one. This was the bloke who'd been to the same school as the Kray Twins, albeit a year or two later.

• RMweb Gold

"Much Binding........"

If that's what you're used to.

I understand some people do enjoy being tied up. ISTR a Punch cartoon where a secretary/PA is answering the office phone with the very ordinary words "Mr Mackley is tied up right now" but unbeknown to the caller she is dressed as a dominatrix!
  • Like 2

Afternoon all, what's all this vile weather you're discussing? Amazingly Edinburgh seems to have avoided all but a little bit of drizzle yesterday, and the forecast when I last looked did not contain any precipitation before the weekend...

Good luck to anyone caught in the floods!

Mum's had her stitches out today, but is still swollen and sore, and can't focus even with her glasses on...

• RMweb Gold

By the way, I heard from a little bird that the biggest A-Hole on this Forum has left the building by the back door, permanently. SAC and Tony will know exactly who I mean....

Best, Pete.

Ah, I think that might explain something going on elsewhere as mentioned earlier by Dave (I was taking Pete's words literally).

Edited by The Stationmaster

• RMweb Gold

Afternoon all, hope all are well and dry, and special considerations to the massabatementists.

Just cooking dinner before venturing out to make up some hours for call out. I don't know what's worse, being called out or not as we have to make up a minimum of 30 hours work whether that's on reactive work or not. So I pick the furthest sites from me to make up hours as it eats up the most time. Trouble is you make up hours early week then you get called out a lot at the end of the week so you do loads of hours - we get a salary which includes call out so I don't get paid for extra hours.

Just listening to some great blues radio from America on the iPad. I bought a good quality-ish bluetooth speaker to use with the iPad and am bowled over by the sound. I can get virtually any radio from all over the world using an app, having great fun. In fact I would go as far as to say that the iPad is the most versatile, value for money toy that I've ever bought, from games to banking to webcams to internet to music to facetime with kids + gkids in Germany and Oz it is just a superb entertainment/ household business centre.

Don't think I'd like to be without it now!

Have a good one.

• Like 1

Painting modules, listening to an oldies station from Calgary, and getting a bit homesick. Only until the weather forecast though. -16c and snow on its way tomorrow. Pass!

Phil, which app are you using? Someone suggested the TuneIn Radio app. Works pretty good and has most of my favourite Calgary, Spokane, and Seattle stations. If you#'ve got a different one I'd like to give it a try as well. I agree about the iPad. Probably the most useful gadget in the house. I can even run trains with it.

• RMweb Gold

Painting modules, listening to an oldies station from Calgary, and getting a bit homesick. Only until the weather forecast though. -16c and snow on its way tomorrow. Pass!

Matthew sent this recently.

post-6719-0-55487500-1354031298_thumb.jpg

Notice, even available for left handed people!

Edited by Tony_S

• RMweb Gold

Phil, which app are you using? Someone suggested the TuneIn Radio app. Works pretty good and has most of my favourite Calgary, Spokane, and Seattle stations. If you#'ve got a different one I'd like to give it a try as well. I agree about the iPad. Probably the most useful gadget in the house. I can even run trains with it.

That's my main one, I shelled out and got the paid version which I think cost me 69p or something. I also have a few others, some of which I don't talk about in polite company.

Bollywood songs anyone?...

• RMweb Gold

Yep, here as large as life.

No serious problems. I live on a slope with no stream to rise. Others have been less fortunate. Many roads closed so only inconvenience for me has been finding different routes to and from work and having to drive through standing water. Drivers were being courteous to each other allowing each other through in the centre of the road and so on so it wasn't too bad.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Mum's had her stitches out today, but is still swollen and sore, and can't focus even with her glasses on...

Mike, I hope your mum will be improving soon.

Afternoon all – I think I'll be preparing dinner early today. Though before I do, I'll have to read up on something.

• RMweb Gold

Yep, here as large as life.

Do the students at your school have long journeys from home? The schools round here are supposed to be neighbourhood schools (walking distance) but throw in one becoming partially selective, grammar schools in Southend and Chelmsford and religious schools and an awful lot of children seem to be on the move.

• RMweb Gold

Do the students at your school have long journeys from home?

Just under half are within walking distance, or walking distance as deemed by the LEA which in effect means using public transport. Others come from two or three other ex-mining villages by school bus. We also have a few from further afield who come through either parental choice or have been directed here by other social factors.

The number who are bussed to us is one factor when deciding if the school is open or closed in winter. The media, some parents and many in the private sector throw their hands up in horror over school closures but would be even more critical if nearly 500 children were stuck in school overnight, on the roads for hours, or even worse were involved in accidents. This is a no win situation for schools.

Edited by BoD
  • Like 2

I use TuneIn Radio, plus OoTunes and the new BBC RadioPlayer app.

Having bought Mum an iPad Mini (between Dad and I) for Christmas, I set it up ready for her to use once Christmas arrives, so I've installed BBC iPlayer, 4OD, ITV Player and the Channel 5 player apps. Oh, and Jamie Oliver's 15 Minute Meals app. (Watch me get a slap for being cheeky loading that).

Mike, I hope your mum will be improving soon.

Thanks, fingers crossed!

• RMweb Gold

Phew!....that`s a relief! :good:

With yours, mine and other`s abatements; that must qualify as a massed-abatement! :mosking:

.........I`ve waited years for that one to come up! :laugh:

Debs,

you certainly have a way with words and humour.

This latest one is a real blinder!

Regards

Richard

• Like 1

Snowing hard here - for maybe three hours but only,say, 3/4 inch on ground. Temp been going up and down like a yo-yo currently 34.2 f. when the Sun came up it was 38f. Has been down to 32f.

I suppose this mess will head across the Atlantic. At least there is not much wind.

Best, Pete.