The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

Had a good laugh at those puns, I just can't leave you lot alone 5 minutes can I?

Fraid I can't offer such worthy puns!

No idea why i'm up at 23:30, but it must be something to do with it being nearly the weekend - and a week off! Yay!

Now i've been thinking, and after having visited Febex and looked at some inspiring layouts by Henk Wurst on the 009 Dutch Group, I realise some flaws in my layout designing. So, what have I learnt:

1) And the most important - less is better! A small amount of buildings is better than the 8 I currently have on one small layout.

2) Place most (especially larger buildings) at the back of the layout. (Something i've pretty much been oblivious to)

3) Make sure you build a layout that is capable of being extended with ease if you want to extend it.

4) Use a series of small boards - not one huge/long one.

5) Lay trackwork level and test, test, test.

6) Give it a spacious feel with plenty of little details. (although urban layouts are probably naturally crampt in general)

7) Make sure it captures the atmosphere of the real place if you are basing it on one.

8) Don't be afraid to diverge from the prototype a little - If you feel the prototype lacks something you really want to include, it's your layout!

I'm glad i've finally learnt something important in railway modelling. Onwards to progress. :D

Now, where is my sketchpad?

Had a good laugh at those puns, I just can't leave you lot alone 5 minutes can I?

Nope! But you should be able to Gauge the Masters by now!

No idea why i'm up at 23:30, but it must be something to do with it being nearly the weekend - and a week off! Yay!

nor me; enjoy the week off!

Now i've been thinking,

Oh Dear!!

and after having visited Febex

Uh Oh! :unsure:

and looked at some inspiring layouts by Henk Wurst on the 009 Dutch Group, I realise some flaws in my layout designing. So, what have I learnt:

1) And the most important - less is better! A small amount of buildings is better than the 8 I currently have on one small layout.

Yes! Like writing a readable document, the best tool available is white space!

2) Place most (especially larger buildings) at the back of the layout. (Something i've pretty much been oblivious to)

3) Make sure you build a layout that is capable of being extended with ease if you want to extend it.

Planning is key here; what type of layout do you want?

4) Use a series of small boards - not one huge/long one.

the maximum size is determined by the vehicle in which you transport them!

5) Lay trackwork level and test, test, test.

Can not over emphasize this. Track - Electrics - TEST. Only then can you definitely blame the ballasting etc.!

6) Give it a spacious feel with plenty of little details. (although urban layouts are probably naturally crampt in general)

See 1 above

7) Make sure it captures the atmosphere of the real place if you are basing it on one.

8) Don't be afraid to diverge from the prototype a little - If you feel the prototype lacks something you really want to include, it's your layout!

Too many so often forget this!

I'm glad i've finally learnt something important in railway modelling. Onwards to progress. :D

:icon_thumbsup2:

• RMweb Premium

Morning all...

Cold outside at -3, but no wind - Thursday was really bad in this respect! Sure felt like something around -10 then.

Still getting sorted out - think I'll fix some cocoa first :) .

Have a good day all ;) .

Morning all,

Just off to Brighton to see what Model World is like. Don't like the look of 8 dark oktas but at least the temperature is above zero (Just!)

Still getting sorted out - think I'll fix some cocoa first

Didn't know you could break cocoa so that it needs fixing! :icon_winker: (Enjoy the resultant beverage!)

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

I'm off to play trains this morning. There is also the club AGM. I don't think I've been to a meeting with an agenda since the year 2000. The weather here looks a bit overcast but there doesn't seem to be any sign of snow/sleet/rain etc as forecast.

Tony

Morning All,

The temperature is just below freezing here, and there is light snow falling.

Off to the Church later on, to change light bulbs - it is starting to get a bit gloomy in there :icon_lol:

Have a good day everyone :icon_wave:

• RMweb Gold
Nope! But you should be able to Gauge the Masters by now!

Sigh... :D :lol:

Where there's a Will's there's a way... (ducks and runs for cover!)

nor me; enjoy the week off!

Thanks John, I certainly will, do you have any days off?

Oh Dear!! ... Uh Oh!

Don't panic, I know those words 'i've been thinking' always make you worry!

:icon_thumbsup2:

See, wasn't so bad was it ;)

As to what i'm planning, a bit of NG, a bit of SR standard gauge, and maybe a bit of industry?

To be fair, I''m not too sure, but something with a bit of RAF or MoD in it makes it more interesting, i've also been looking at cement works. I'm open to suggestions. Perhaps even a Calshot MK II which diverges from the prototype a bit...

I think that hot chocolate sounds a good idea Dominik!

• RMweb Premium

If a non-regular strays into this thread they are really going to slate us for the poor standard of punnery. Thoug in hindsight it does have a certain Peconcy. Hel Jan that was awful!

Cheers

Dave

• RMweb Premium

... Go away

Far-ish away.

I know I can be Triang but when can I come Back man? Perhaps I'll just take the air, fix a few things in the signalbox then go totally trains mad.

Cheers

Dave (already got me coat on 'cos it's so bloomin' cold in the garage)

• RMweb Gold

You will be pleased to know that the punning continued in darkest Essex today at the model railroad group I go to.

I noticed Robert has been lighting churches. Our layout is set up in a nicely lit church hall but for its appearance at Warley apparently lighting will be necessary. It is probably best that I'm not on the lighting working group. I used to do the stage lighting at school but my job was to hold the ladder while other people did clever stuff.

Tony