The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

.. I have a hospital appointment re my trigger thumb (a medical term!)

Know this one - hereditary I believe. Mum has just gone through the corrective process.

So a special Smiley for you :triniti:

Happy shooting and hope appointment goes well.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Morning all,

looks like a day of mist and greyness and very little mellow fruitfulness - but it will rain later so that'll make a change.

On a brighter note this is the sort of street scene Phil can look forward to in Wernigerode - definitely a place worth visiting, nice little town and a smashing bit of railway

post-6859-0-39442100-1353059208_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

Bob, to me 6C is BL**DY cold! Comfy is 25, therefor 22 is coolish!

Dave "don't you just love the sax?" NO!

To me it IS the wind that nobody blows good (There, some disagreeable comment in ERs!)

Sax is a very subjective instrument, I think. In the right hands it can be melodious - David Sanborn, Ernie Watts - while from some others it is an intentionally raucous sound. Boots Randolph and "Yackety Sax" from my yoof did nothing to make me like the sound.

In the early '60s, I'm sure I recall an LP (remember them?) called "Sax and the Single Girl" - but I didn't buy it.

• RMweb Gold

Sax is a very subjective instrument, I think. In the right hands it can be melodious -

My nephew's sax playing was more melodious than my son's trumpet practice. Though he didn't persist with the trumpet it did have one benefit. Matthew got an electric bass last year and after a while I was most amused when he rushed out and excitedly informed me that he could still read music!

Grey, cold & misty here.

Life is full of highs and lows and just at the moment we seem to have too many of the latter, still I always keep smiling :) , think positively and know that a high is just around the corner. If it's not then as we used to say when I was in industry and the unforseen occurred 's--t happens' then it gets better. Yup, I'm sure II can see a corner coming up.

Finally put up my avatar pic after a year, it was one of those jobs I was always going to do tomorrow but never did, so I did it yesterday.

Have a good day one and all.

Jim

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I thought 6C was Birkenhead (don't worry, I have taken the pills and I'll get my coat).

It also covered Croes Newydd, last working home of the ex GWR 56xx/66xx class.

5605 and 6697 being withdrawn in the last gasp of ex GW steam in May '66 (According to the GWR archive).

5605 lead a typically insignificant but hard working life and spent her entire career in the Welsh Valleys before her last shed at 5C, and died quietly without fuss at Great Bridge.

6697 escaped the torches of Cashmore and went on to greater fame as a GWS loco at Didcot.

I'll now get my anorak, tartan flask and repair my glasses with more sellotape. (and wipe away my tears after writing such sentimental drivel)

Regards

Richard

Edit: Punctuation

Edited by Happy Hippo
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

In the early 60s, I'm sure I recall an LP (remember them?) called "Sax and the Single Girl" - but I didn't buy it.

It's on Sky Channel XXXX at 1 am next Thursday morning.

• Like 3

Morning all! Depressing scoreline from India today...

Don, if you want to hear a little bit of sax that might change your mind, try Skylark by Courtney Pine. Absolutely beautiful. I'm at work so can't post a link, but one of the other ERs might have one...?

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I thought 6C was Birkenhead (don't worry, I have taken the pills and I'll get my coat).

Birkenhead Mollington Street to be pedantic, not to be confused with Birkenhead Central or Birkenhead North

I have a shed plate bearing just such a "name"

6C was also known as 8H in later years

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

On a brighter note this is the sort of street scene Phil can look forward to in Wernigerode - definitely a place worth visiting, nice little town and a smashing bit of railway

post-6859-0-39442100-1353059208_thumb.jpg

Snap.

Porthmadog, North Wales

http://www.flickr.co...in/photostream/

Morning all. Special morning to our newest ER, Victor M. :locomotive:

Dull, misty, meh in the boring borough this morning.

Don: yes I've got (or will have if I get my lazy backside out to the shed and finish off the tracklaying) space to run the full train. My layout thread is here: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/40382-essex/page__fromsearch__1 Don't tell SWMBO but I've got a second one on order too.

Back to work. Only 1 clown meeting today.

• Like 2

This morning's highlights:

• Sending out an email about Health and Safety aspects of Christmas Lights
  • Inspecting the floor of one of the loos
  • Writing a fault report regarding a flooding urinal
  • Teaching for an hour to people who turned up late
  • Lunch - 'cos I'm teaching again soon.

• RMweb Premium

AndrewC's layout (love the wye, BTW) reminded me that there's a photo (posted last night) of my latest Ebay buy @ http://www.rmweb.co....ad/page__st__50

EDIT link doesn't appear to work- will sort out later (der brain).

In the meantime, you can go to the thread below.

Edited by southern42
  • Like 1

Guest Max Stafford

I'm hoping there's something there that will do my mob! After all, it looks like we'll be receiving a quantity of redundant tube post semaphores from the Stirling resignalling.

I'm very much looking forward to learning all about the operation and maintenance of semaphores. Really, I'm serious about that. I've found the things fascinating since I was old enough to notice them!

On more 17:00-03:00 shift to do now. Might have a trip to Workington show tomorrow afternoon too.

Weather seems to be playing its own rules here today. Fairly bright with broken medium level cloud.

Going to wash my bike now!