The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Or he's reading the DNS & BIND manual :D:D

Snigger - if he is, then it will be a while until we see him again :blink:

As promised, a snap taken at Saturday's Uckfield show of the most excellent Portchullin.

IMG_1326.jpg

More here

Morning lads...icon_thumbsup2.gif

Apologies for my absence. Had a few flat days and just needed some time to snap out of it. Everything got on top of me and I couldn't really be bothered with much. Thankfully I managed to get some focus and moved all my stock out of my railway room into storage which has helped considerably. I now have plenty of space to work and hopefully getting the layout started again will take my mind off other things.

One day I'll work out how to post stuff in a blog and give you guys an update....icon_confused.gif

Sorry to hear about your loss DD. 43 is no age at all. Sometimes we just take life for granted...

Welcome back Gordon. We missed our founding father!

Sorry you were feeing down but glad you are up again.

I read your account of the Amazon Mrs. S and you hoisting the wardrobe up the stairs.

Did the bard's two Sweedish helpers not arrive in time?

Guest Max Stafford

I don't know Mick, it was humour like that that got us through WW2.

I speak as someone 'in the front line', as it were. Humour is often a very effective coping strategy and it's in that spirit I take Don's gag.

Moving on from there, I must admit to currently enjoying a nice evening in my pet chair in 'the doghouse'. Nice and warm with a 'Scottish coffee' in my hand and the sound of the rain rattling on the roof. Dog sleeping contentedly on its cushion. News like Dd's of his friend means that I savour every moment I have like this and I do appreciate being able to enjoy moments like this.

I think realisation that it doesn't last forever is one of the spurs behind my current kit-building frenzy, making up for lost time and all that! :)

Dave.

• RMweb Premium

I was long ago told if you can't take a joke you shouldn't have joined but for some reason Don's joke just didn't raise a smile I'm not certain why, DD's shock news perhaps bringing back memories of a workmate who died at 42 his kids were just two years older than mine so his youngest is now 15 having lived 13 years without him.It was his death that convinced me that working for a living was better than living for work.

• RMweb Gold

It is now Saturday morning but not a really early riser, I just have not gone to bed yet. Matthew wondered if it was a convenient time to install his new security software as the one included with his pc was expiring on Saturday (what is now today). I haven't really played with the PC he got in August but it is very very speedy, well at least compared to this machine! Normally he does all his own software installations but I like to see the virus / firewall stuff go on. I went to collect his copy of Windows7 from PC world todayas instructed by the salesperson back in August. At the time he said I didn't need to order it from the manufacturer but just bring the receipt in and they would provide the upgrade. Of course when I go in today they have a completely different story and say the salesman was wrong. So therefore a wasted trip and no Windows 7. I was rather cross. Emails have been launched! I suppose at least by the time I get a copy all the major bugs (sorry, undocumented features) will have been sorted.

Tony

• RMweb Premium

Morning All, Looks like database problems have kept the usual early crew at bay today! Serious leaking oktas all around in these parts. Luckily I walked the hound dog before they started leaking. SWMBO is out all day so now for a day messing with stuff on the workbench. :)

Cheers

Dave

• RMweb Gold

Morning all

We're off for a 'Jolly' on the Northern Belle, which was bought for me as a birthday present earlier this month. It's just a day run out but with musicians, wining and dining etc. Wasn't sure about it when I first got it, but quite looking forward to it now.

Enjoy your weekend.

OK guys, I'll come clean.....Logged in this morning around 6 and all was well. Tried catching up on all the news and got as far as page 2. Clicked on page 3 and.....bang, off it went.

It's a fair cop guv'....icon_redface.gif

Enjoy your trip BoD.icon_drool.gif Sounds like a great day....

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon ;) ...

We'll be having guests for coffee both today and tomorrow, so we'll need to finish the muffins we baked earlier today. Tonight will then see us making a cake for tomorrow.

Been quite foggy here in the morning. Sure is autumn now.

Where does the Northern Belle go Bod?

Morning.. err Afternoon all, due to late running work colleagues birthday bash last night, you may experience some delays to the service. Normal service will be resumed once hangover cures and bacon sarnies have been administered!

tom.

Greetings one and all,

Can't say "morning" because it isn't. Much like Tony_S, I considered logging on at around 1am when I got in - but when it came down to it, I couldn't be bothered. I'm getting too old for staying out until that time :icon_yawn:

I decided to fight the fatigue and I have just popped down to our local clubs exhibition - not a bad show, but to be honest not a patch on the Uckfield show that I went to last weekend. The trouble is that the same layouts seem to pop up year in, year out. Still, it did inspire me to think about a bit more modelling so it wasn't a bad thing!

I think I'll go out for a bike ride now - perhaps that will wake me up once and for all and achieve something that not even bacon rolls and coffee could do!

Have a good Saturday everyone :icon_wave:

I was curious too Tom. Their website is not too specific, so I quote...

This journey will take you on a circular tour through Britain's beautiful countryside whilst you relax aboard the gleaming carriages of the Northern Belle and enjoy a sumptuous lunch with champagne and wine.

Just the job!....icon_mrgreen.gif

Yes sound idyllic, from this overcast and gloomy corner of dear ol' blighty. Having been on NVR last weekend made me think I should really get out of the smoke more and see some other lines.. Guess Bluebell would be first contender, but then there is the GC and all those ones way out west!

tom.

• RMweb Gold
Where does the Northern Belle go Bod?

Today the route was Newcastle to Leeds via York and back. I was hoping for something a little more picturesque perhaps, but wasn't disappointed by the experience as a whole.

I guess it was something like travel used to be (provided you weren't travelling cattle class). All done at a leisurely pace in sumptuous surroundings. The carriages were very well appointed, inlaid mahogany, subdued lighting and with really comfortable seating. Tables had white starched linen and silver service. The meal itself was delicious and unhurried. Service was superb right from the red carpet and champagne on arrival until leaving the train. I swear they could read our minds.

Altogether a very relaxing day.