The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

Any of you birdy twitchy types know how to discourage morning doves and pigeons from feeders? We put one of those hanging things up with various dispensers including a tray and water dish. Trouble is the bl**dy pigeons and doves sit on the water dish to reach the rest of the birdy buffet and crap all over it. We've never seen a smaller bird feeding.

I tried most things I could think of to limit access to the bird feeders. When wood pigeons succeeded in learning how to hang on upside down like small birds I gave up.

• RMweb Gold

snapback.pngAndrewC, on 02 November 2012 - 15:55 , said:

Any of you birdy twitchy types know how to discourage morning doves and pigeons from feeders?

Sparrowhawk or Kestrel? - Oh no-they've been scrapped! :locomotive:

Bob

Edited by grandadbob
  • Like 2

Any of you birdy twitchy types know how to discourage morning doves and pigeons from feeders?

The morning/mourning homonym, takes me back to prep-school days, and the poetic demise of "Cock Robin":

Who'll be chief mourner?

I, said the Dove,

I mourn for my love,

I'll be chief mourner.

From the early nursery rhyme; which we had to learn and be able to recite in it`s entirety! :scenic:

• Like 1

The morning/mourning homonym, takes me back to prep-school days, and the poetic demise of "Cock Robin":

Who'll be chief mourner?

I, said the Dove,

I mourn for my love,

I'll be chief mourner.

From the early nursery rhyme; which we had to learn and be able to recite in it`s entirety! :scenic:

damned iPad autocorrect.
  • Like 1

Doctor has been and cured me.

Apparently I have bronchitis - those that have followed this boring story will remember I expressed this self diagnosis previously.

I was surprised by the high temperature I have.

A week's worth of antibiotics.

'

Quite an achievement to secure a home visit! Do take care, keep warm and drink plenty! (inc non alchy fluids!) Get well soon!

• Like 1

Have now taken 1000mg of antibiotic.

It's cheaper than food.

If I can get some sleep tonight I'll stop moaning about my woes...

except the Fridge is playing up again.

Somewhat touching was a continuous stream of kind folk wishing me well.

Let's hope I haven't started an epidemic amongst them.

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

Have now taken 1000mg of antibiotic.

It's cheaper than food.

If I can get some sleep tonight I'll stop moaning about my woes...

except the Fridge is playing up again.

Somewhat touching was a continuous stream of kind folk wishing me well.

Let's hope I haven't started an epidemic amongst them.

Sympathise. After two weeks, and various sympton easers, I'm ok again, so hang on in there.

Wishing a good night's sleep :closedeyes:

Will be online tomorrow....catch up with you all, then.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Morning all, returned from wet and windy Carlisle about an hour ago. We set off from a beautiful autumnal Derbyshire with colorful trees and bright sunshine but by the time we got to Preston the wipers were moving so fast to clear the rain I could have turned the engine off and still have been doing 40mph! DD once you have coughed up the oak tree you will start to feel better. Chronic bronchitis sufferer 1998-2010.

• Like 2

Dd, Y am most upset that your self diagnosis proved correct. I had thought that you were over the worst

I disagree with Asher's prescription ( drink plenty! (inc non alchy fluids!))

A dose of single malt at regular intervals will enable you to ignore distressing symptoms.

It works for me.! :imsohappy:

• Like 7

Morning all, not much to report from here appart from it will be chuffin hot! (as long as I dont have to spend to long inside a shipping container (over 55c in one yesterday).

Hope those feeling under the weather soon improve..

Have good un all,

Trev

• Like 1

....higher management advises that I'll be expected to redecorate the kitchen during my time off but that should still leave plenty of modelling time.

Have a great day everybody

Dave

Edited by Torr Giffard LSWR 1951-71
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Morning all...

Be well soon, DD – no much fun having to take strong medication, even if it's "only" antibiotics.

Weather continues to be dreich and is unlikely to fundamentally improve today. We were meaning to go looking for plants to put on the balcony for the cold months, but if we do, we must not forget our coats, it seems.

• Like 1

Feel much better this morning, thanks everyone.

Six hours of sleep and only one brief sortie due to the copious liquids prescribed on ERs.

I've been inventing things in my light headed condition:

A cutting template for O gauge windows (very difficult and expensive to source these).

It probably has legs but I need a blonde haired amazon to do the precision work.

Wheels that carry current to the motor without little sticky out pieces of armature.

Unfortunately I've forgotten how I managed that.

A unit built fridge that facilitates removal and disposal of defective parts instead of having to lay out £hundreds for a new model.

... and so on .

Probably Thomas Alva had bronchitis.

• Like 10

Keep taking the tablets, DD! Glad you've turned a corner there.

Dull morn here but dry so far. Alice seems to have night and day confused so an outing in daylight might stop her sleeping for most of the day and feeding for most of the night!

Enjoy the weekend, everyone!

• Like 2

Alice seems to have night and day confused so an outing in daylight might stop her sleeping for most of the day and feeding for most of the night!

Do you have any vampires in your family tree?

Off to the primitive wilderness of Norfolk today. Time for our quarterly bier keller restocking.

• Like 2