The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

I bought a new computer last weekend and I can upgrade to Windows 8 as part of the package should I choose to so.

I may be asking opinions in a couple of days if that's Ok.

• RMweb Gold

I bought a new computer last weekend and I can upgrade to Windows 8 as part of the package should I choose to so.

I may be asking opinions in a couple of days if that's Ok.

I can assure you the help pages work! I couldn't see any way of turning the PC off (other than the big button on the case) but help told me where the software button was. So obvious when shown! I haven't felt the need to rush out and buy an instruction book though. I can always use another PC with Windows 7 on to access the interweb if I have a problem.

Not so much a formula-more a recipe:-

Take 2 young mums with trolleys and park them at 90o across aisle. Toss in 3 screaming toddlers & let them unload shelves onto floor.Stir in 1 aged pensioner who's forgotten where they are & add 1 shelfstacker who is just trying to do her job(Bless her). Simmer gently and do not let yourself boil over. Life's too short!

Bob

you must shop at our Morrison's then. It's prams, screaming chavettes, and coffin dodgers..

Tried the 07:00 shop a few times. Never any fresh veg on the shelves. Same with the late night attempts.

• Like 1

Not so much a formula-more a recipe:-

Take 2 young mums with trolleys and park them at 90o across aisle. Toss in 3 screaming toddlers & let them unload shelves onto floor.Stir in 1 aged pensioner who's forgotten where they are & add 1 shelfstacker who is just trying to do her job(Bless her). Simmer gently and do not let yourself boil over. Life's too short!

Bob

OOPs - you missed out the two staff, trying to fill those "Home Delivery" baskets trundlling in opposite directions down the aisle

Edited by shortliner
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

OOPs - you missed out the two staff, trying to fill those "Home Delivery" baskets trundlling in opposite directions down the aisle

Deliberately missed that-guess what SWMBO does to occupy her time away from the love of her life! :onthequiet:

Bob

• RMweb Gold

With cycling still reeling from the fallout of the Lance Armstrong doping scandal, organizers of next year’s UCI World Road Championships in Florence, Italy, have unveiled an unlikely mascot — Pinocchio.

:jester: :jester:

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

With cycling still reeling from the fallout of the Lance Armstrong doping scandal, organizers of next year’s UCI World Road Championships in Florence, Italy, have unveiled an unlikely mascot — Pinocchio.

I would not call this "unlikely". "Unfortunate" would be more like it...!

Temperature's dropped below 5°C outside, wind is at about 12 knots and according to my weather app, windchill lowers temperature further to about freezing. I have no intention of finding out for myself whether this may be correct, though.

Edited by 1216 025

I have had to Google more big words since Dr Debs started throwing them around than ever before!

That`ll be my last-years Christmas present: The Websters Book of Big Words....."it is big and it is clever".......unabridged; naturally! :laugh:

• Like 3

My contacts tell me it's snowing in Newcastle and York...

Nothing in Edinburgh yet.

Went to see Skyfall earlier this evening and it's rather good. Recommended...

Like Phil I too have succumbed to the Apple publicity machine and have ordered Mum an iPad Mini for her Christmas present from Dad and I.

Guest Max Stafford

Real steely cold tonight. I would have like to have been able to go out to a local lineside on an evening like this 50 years ago. I might have given this week 50 years ago a miss mind, could have been a bit scary!

WD Passing Saughton Junction

This image sums up the kind of thing I love about the old railway in winter though; so evocative and I'm utterly sorry I missed it!

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium

Like Phil I too have succumbed to the Apple publicity machine and have ordered Mum an iPad Mini for her Christmas present from Dad and I.

Up the Apple and pears, now

If you're still up, night all.

Good morning at this silly time!

Beautiful moon in view so that's some consolation for my disturbed night. I thought the hour long walk yesterday would have ensured a restful sleep. Unfortunately, the red wine and rather over large bolognese meal in which I indulged yesterday evening had other ideas!

Never mind! I'm sure it won't spoil my enjoyment of the Torbay Poetry Festival event we plan to attend this morning.

Hope everyone is able to keep warm this weekend and not experience problems with the snow up North.

Edited by Ashcombe
  • Like 4

No trouble with snow or cold overnight here! Forecast to be 26C today under a clear blue sky.

No sounds of steam locos either although we are within sound of the local suburban suburban line. Only EMUs rattling past at slow Saturday intervals.

Still an hour till breakfast time.

Good morning Ashcombe. Sorry you had a disturbed night. A poetry reading would definitely put me to sleep for the duration

Edited by DonBradley
  • Like 2

Up at silly o 'clock on a Saturday. Dark, cloudy and very windy in the boring borough this morning. Off to take SWMBO to her "Life in the UK" test in a couple of hours. By the time she finally gets her UK passport it will have cost over £3000 in visas, tests, ILR, citizenship, & passport. That and the fact its taken 9 years because they changed the rules part way through her first ancestry visa term. d'oh!

Guest Max Stafford

Had to scrape the ice off the car before coming to work. First time this season and I suspect it's not going to be the last either!

Spent a couple of hours in the shed last night and I'll do the same again today after work. I really do need to empty the place and reorganise it though, it's so cluttered!

Dave.

• RMweb Gold

Update: Very wet sleety snow*. Not really lying. One of the advantages of being on the coast (or disadvantages depending on how you look at it). The wind is quite biting though.

* I know what I mean.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Up at silly o 'clock on a Saturday. Dark, cloudy and very windy in the boring borough this morning. Off to take SWMBO to her "Life in the UK" test in a couple of hours. By the time she finally gets her UK passport it will have cost over £3000 in visas, tests, ILR, citizenship, & passport. That and the fact its taken 9 years because they changed the rules part way through her first ancestry visa term. d'oh!

I found the sample test quite strange and it seemed to imply some strange aspects of "Britishness". I'm sure Aditi's cousins who recently acquired UK passports now know more UK trivia than I do. Matthew likes doing online sample citizenship tests, I think he might cope with Canadian general knowledge as in his uni "Canada" module he got 99%. Of course his mum wanted to know what he got wrong and it was a question about when was Canada first settled.