The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

With regard to Reading station I wonder if someone will offer the counter terrorism excuse'it has to go to prevent it being blown apart' It never occurs to 'them' that by making our lives more awkward they hand a win to terrorists.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I had a nice lunch at Reading once, some Microsoft event. Can't remember the product but the profiteroles were nice.

Maybe the product was MS Profit e-Roles, their new HR tool for IT professionals? :stinker:

I'll get me coat and do a couple of laps of Reading as penance.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

My ex and her parents hail from Reading, 'nuff said! (Though there used to be model shop just up the road EAMES was it???)

It was, and highly regarded in its era. In latter days it was in cahoots with the shop at Kings Cross, to the credit of both. Long gone, sadly.

I now know I need that sanity test - like, today! About 40 mins ago a horse wandered past my window, which is bad news, as they should be in their paddock and the gates to the road are wide open. Sure enough they'd broken through the one place where we should have added a post and couple of rails 7 years ago, but never got round to it. It appears that one of them managed to get electric fence tape round her leg, judging from the enormous hoofmark and the broken tape. Trouble is, the fence box hasn't worked this year - it's mains-power and just didn't seem to do what was wanted when I turned it on some months ago. Anyway, being the irrational ###### that I am at present, I went out with a pickaxe and two post-hole borers and started digging the fencepost hole. I've got about a foot down, maybe a bit more, but it's close to the stable and there is all sorts of stone and brick in the way, so only the narrow borer has got that deep. And I'm not feeling strong, yet I put in this enormous pointless effort - in pouring rain. Send in the men in white coats, please! Horses are still on the lawn, which is ok-ish with the gates now closed, and I'm drinking tea and talking to ERs, and feeling better for the exercise!

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold

I don't think I could cope with a fencepost now, certainly not one capable of restraining a horse! I'm sure whenever I did do one there was always some reinforced concrete object about a foot underground. One of my neighbours builds garage forecourts and has told me not to do anything without asking him first as he has all kinds of devices for bashing and breaking things. He is also very strong!

Rain? Sunshine and blue skies here. It can't last.

For those eagerly awaiting news of my grass seed, I can report that it is now finally growing. We had the first frost a few days ago and that seems to have set it going. Also the box said "sow from March to October" so presumably it knows it has only a few days left to get its act together. Clever how a speck of a thing like that knows more about the weather and the seasons than I do.

Martin.

When sowing a field of grass our golden rule was if you can put your toe on one plant and your heel on another you have got a "take" ie its going to grow

Laurence

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

When sowing a field of grass our golden rule was if you can put your toe on one plant and your heel on another you have got a "take" ie its going to grow

Laurence

With all the rain recently Martin will have very muddy feet after checking his lawn.

• Like 2

Another scumbag caught "pushing the button" thinking he was going to blow up a building and kill 2,000+ people in NYC....

I've never been to Reading, only passed through. I've never been to Slough either but I have been to Staines..........

Pete.

PS Why does Hodgeson persist in selecting players like Milner? His choices completely baffle me.......

Edited by trisonic

• RMweb Gold

I've never been to Reading, only passed through. I've never been to Slough either but I have been to Staines..........

Pete.

I began my full time railway career in Slough - working with an old hand former Relief Signalman and more or less the first thing he asked me was 'do you know how to make tea?' (he then taught me - well, very well). And I worked railway wise in Reading for a few years when the London Division DMO was there but in more recent years it was a place I did my level best to avoid - having lived in the outskirts for 29 years my only connection with Reading was travelling through it to/from work and going into the town shopping once or twice a year unless I was going to a builders' merchant or taking the car for servicing.

Good morning, any who might be awake at stupid o'clock!

Just when I thought I was nearly over the Shingles, I now have a horrid head cold! Can't remember the last time I had one. TIB very welcome!

Hope all ER's are well and have a good day!

Edited by Ashcombe
  • Like 1

Cloudy(rain type) WITH wind wind type. The 'wind type' is the white South East table cloth that sits on top of the mountain,

the 'rain type' is a grey horizon to horizon cover. Most unusual to see both types of cloud in the same sky.

Morning All,

I am not sure what the weather is like here this morning as it seems to be particularly dark! Having said that, it is pretty mild so I would predict another sunny and clear day.

Back in the office again today, and it was good to sleep in my own bed rather than the pokey hotel room.

Have a good day everyone...