The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

Aditi arrived in England in 1959 and said she only got Minadex if she had a cold. She, her sister and parents lived in hospital accommodation for a few years so probably had a lot of well cooked vegetables.

• Like 1

I really liked the food at school except for the pilchard and salad that was a Friday meal

:O Salad!?!?!........you bunch of southern-softies! :mosking:

We always had some kind of boiled, yellow-fish on Fridays.....it made sense: we had all weekend to get the needle-sharp bones out from our oesophagus. :laugh:

We endured ex-Nazi dinner ladies: "Eat in silence; nobody leaves until every scrap is eaten" :threaten:

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

I'm sure there was some rule in our local education authority about compulsory salad once a week in winter. Although I generally did like school food, I wasn't prepared for the wonderful food at university. Probably some of the best cafeteria food I've ever had.

• Like 1

In Law problems multiply.

They went to their solicitor today to make minor updates to their Will.

The solicitor refused to take instructions until they could produce a Doctor's Certificate that MiL was of sound mind.

That's bad enough but it also means that we will struggle to get a voluntary power of attorney.

... and so it goes on.

I know others have problems in this area.

I joke about her but she has a very kind heart and I wish I could help her in some way.

Guest Max Stafford

Off topic (what is the topic?):

I've just replaced a plastic water butt which had sprung a leak (I'm not surprised as it weighs over 4 cwt when full).

Anyone considering obtaining one might like to consider the 20% Off Voucher from Southern Water.

Although I'm nowhere near any Southern Water, they are exchangeable at B&Q against the purchase of water butts.

As the price of these things is rapidly increasing, it might help.

No connection with either organisation - especially since B&Q have closed their In Store toilets.

After almost three months of continuous rain, my own butt is full to bursting point. And it's a large butt too,

Dave.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

I'm sure there was some rule in our local education authority about compulsory salad once a week in winter. Although I generally did like school food, I wasn't prepared for the wonderful food at university. Probably some of the best cafeteria food I've ever had.

Best cafeteria food I have ever had was in the Sergeants' Mess at Bramley COD, incredible stuff and well worth being in the school CCF to get a day out there. In comparison lunch in the Officers' Mess at Longmoor about 10 years later was distinctly lean (but the drinks availability was far, far, better ;) ).

Edited by The Stationmaster

• RMweb Premium

Morning all...

Still pitch dark outside and just about 5°C, so I made an appointment to have those winter tyres put on for Friday. I'll need to do a trip to the library later today.

We endured ex-Nazi dinner ladies: "Eat in silence; nobody leaves until every scrap is eaten" :threaten:

My mum tells me she also knows this custom from her childhood. However, during the time I was around, my grandparents had no issue with guests talking over a common dinner – such as on birthdays, Christmas or Easter.

Ello, ello. Theoretically partly cloudy today, but from my window a clear blue sky with a white table cloth on top of the mountain.

Pete, I think I was quoting the reader of the weather forecast who commented before reading the weather report that driving into the studio his car was buffeted by gale force winds

I must download the Beaufort scale so that I don't make a fool of myself again..

• RMweb Gold

Good Morning All,

Lots of rain & wind last night (no sprouts were harmed during this) now dry & 10oC. Apparently sunshine has been ordered for later.

Took Chris to work (according to her so that she can keep me supplied with railway items as my birthday is approaching along with Christmas. (OOps don't mention that word)

Further to yesterdays "dream" it looks like some household related chores will be done.

Have fun out there

Bob

• Like 1

Morning gang, School food....what horrible memories that brings back..so shan't go there. I dont mind sprouts, but only ones I see here are either tinned or frozen.....& I dont like them that much!

Mind you the fresh fruit here is pretty good...just had half a fresh grapefruit for my breakfast.

OK, now lets see what the day brings.

Trev

• RMweb Gold

Someone has just emptied DD's butt out of the sky here !!

Dd, can your MiL get a Dr's note, and is her lawyer qualified to make a decision of sound mind ? Surely we are all of sound mind unless documentary evidence says otherwise ?

• RMweb Gold

Good morning.

Dark still. Robbie didn't seem damp or cold when he came back in after his early morning garden inspection.

I don't have any specific plans for today, I'll see what happens.

Tony

Don, don't worry about me - I'm just an old pedant.......

I wish everyone a good morning. I'm making a cup of tea to be followed by a last fag of the day then off to bed....

Btw isn't "On Raglan Road" by Patrick Kavanagh such a perfect poem/song? I want to record it too.

Best, Pete.

• RMweb Gold

"it looks like some household related chores will be done"

Thought for the day:-

Does setting up laptop on kitchen worktop, reading RM web, drinking tea, emptying dishwasher, loading breadmaker, listening to radio, qualify as the above and also is it "multitasking" which according to the one I love men are not capable of?

"Puzzled" of Sutton

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

You can be sat watching the football on telly, listening to the cricket on the radio, reading the paper with the cat on your lap and stroking the dog with your foot, and you'll still get the call "While you're doing nothing..."

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Dog with muddy paws - it's been raining

Dog with muddy paws and shakes water off all over you - it is raining

Dog who looks out of the door then goes back to his bed - it's raining very hard !

Cat who looks out of the door and sees it's raining and looks at you - "C'mon, make it stop !"

Edited by Stubby47
  • Like 7

Morning All,

It is a chilly 0°C here in Karlsruhe this morning. The Hotel leaves a bit to be desired - it is clean, which is something - but the breakfast was very uninteresting and the room could best be described as pokey, with a modular bathroom.

School dinners bring back many memories - few of them good. Baked beans one day (which I hated) followed by stew with baked beans in it the next. We had to have something of everything and nothing could be left. We were allowed to talk, but only if it was kept down to a dull roar. Last year, I went to a Jesuit Retreat Centre for a conference. Talking wasn't allowed at dinner - very strange to eat in silence.

Have a good day everyone...

• RMweb Gold

A miserable day so far, rain being driven across the garden by a rather sharp wind.

Elsa had her breakfast, but has so far declined to venture outside, just as Stubby predicted!

I think that any attempt at working today will be of an indoors nature.

Regards

Richard