The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

My trip to Le Mans was rewarded with success - half a dozen copies of the "integrated" death certificate were provided by a charming man who offered his condolences at my loss. A complete contrast to the cow of a fonctionnaire on the day of Deb's death, who was only concerned that I had yet to nominate a funeral director so she could complete her form! In hindsight I should have told her that I would do it when I was good and ready - and if she arranged for me to be locked up for defying the law then it would never get done! I believe there is a law here that forbids being rude to fonctionnaires - I wonder why such legislation needed to be passed?

Every certificate, be it birth, marriage or death, I've ever seen in the UK tends to be hand-written by the Registrar on a posh piece of paper. The French ones are printed on ordinary office A4 - with a small blue stamp and a squiggle signature. I hope the Pension Fund and other UK institutions don't think I'm running some sort of scam! I could have got these weeks ago - but hoped the Notaire would have done his thing by now, so I could also go to the Prefecture to get the car registration changed, and anyway, for the past two weeks I haven't been up to the task. Today I found the walking involved left me bloomin' tired! Nice to get a couple of tram rides, though, as well as walking back through the old town, which is remarkably well-preserved, with cobbles everywhere.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

No connection with either organisation - especially since B&Q have closed their In Store toilets.

Buy a plastic water butt then.

Edited by BoD
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Ian,

You need to stock up on some "VIROL"........

Best, Pete.

Was Virol the stuff children(in the 1950s) used to get a spoonful of daily (weekly?) along with cod liver oil? I'm sure there was also something called Minadex. Probably needed vitamin supplements with the cooking techniques used at home.

Edited by Tony_S

Supposed to be a "recovery food" - sticky glutinous - I liked it my brother hated it.

I had Measles and Whooping Cough at the same time and looked like a kid from Belsen. The only thing I could eat was real beef broth (mixed with mash potatoes) and three tablespoons of Virol per day...

Apparently you can still get it if you can track it down. Hopefully it is not NOS!

Best, Pete.

For my early years, I did receive a daily spoonful of 'Malt and Cod-liver Oil'..............it was supposed-to; but certainly did not, "take the taste away". :bo_mini:

I did (for the most part) grow-up big and strong and seemingly without rickets....so perhaps, despite all the Gadidaeic suffering, it might have worked! :laugh:

• Like 3

I think there's a mention of the Virol factory in one of the Ian Allan Western Region Londan area colour books, in the caption to a photo taken near Greenford on the 'direct route' to Brum....''the horrible stuff mother used to make you eat''...!

Eeuughhh!!

Off to work now, sleep tight ER chums.... I'll be glad when it's my turn to be back on days ;o)

Needed Google to understand that!

Me too!

''the horrible stuff mother used to make you eat''...! Eeuughhh!!

Ah, we're back to sprouts again!

I seem to remember when I worked in Dad's pharmacy (last time was probably 1999) Minadex was still available.

• Like 1

"Anaemic girls need Virol!" was the slogan. Pete - you can be very hurtful.

Ha! I don't remember that! Must be why Debs grew to be 5' 12"............

Why did we take these things? Don't forget when we were young (well, when I was) rationing was still in effect (though it was being phased out). Out of season fruit? Forget it!

Best, Pete.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Lightweights.

I was brought up in the 60s / 70s on a pint or two of gold top milk each day (the inch or so of cream at the top was meant to be good for you) and 2 tablespoons of Cow&Gate glucose powder before swimming lessons. Cod liver oil tablets were dished out occasionally - presumably to combat the effects of a cream and sugar diet?

Liver was cooked for several hours, starting just after I was dropped off at school which gave it time to go grey and crumbly by lunchtime.

Costains eventually bought the rights to my mother's fried liver recipe and she moved on to do some pioneering work on a mince recipe that was cooked in opaque liquid with fat goblets floating around anaemic onion slices.

Andy

• Like 3

Lightweights.

I was brought up in the 60s / 70s on a pint or two of gold top milk each day (the inch or so of cream at the top was meant to be good for you) and 2 tablespoons of Cow&Gate glucose powder before swimming lessons. Cod liver oil tablets were dished out occasionally - presumably to combat the effects of a cream and sugar diet?

Liver was cooked for several hours, starting just after I was dropped off at school which gave it time to go grey and crumbly by lunchtime.

Costains eventually bought the rights to my mother's fried liver recipe and she moved on to do some pioneering work on a mince recipe that was cooked in opaque liquid with fat goblets floating around anaemic onion slices.

Andy

I bet at school, you could eat tapioca pudding without even thinking about 'frog spawn'! :laugh:

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

My mother didn't enjoy cooking and to be honest we didn't enjoy the result much either. My Dad used to joke that she was a religious cook, it was either a burned offering or bloody sacrifice. It was only the copious use of lard that probably stopped him adding "anointed with oil".

• Like 10