The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

I got a call from a number I didn't recognise. An Indian lady asked me to go and check the VPN on the computer. Fortunately I didn't follow the suggestions in the thread (blowing whistles, swearing etc) as she might have been cross with me when she got home.

:mosking: Then it would have been you in the dog-house; not Robbie! :laugh:

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Well, the V160 family's actually something like a single-engined relative to the V200s, and as such distantly related to the British 42s as well! As you may know, almost all pre-1990 West German diesels were hydraulics, whereas the East German railways, for example, received various Soviet-designed types, which in most cases were diesel-electrics.

I always thought of the V160 as comparable to a Hymek, just as the V200 was obviously a Warship. In each case there was at least some body-shape similarity, too. ISTR there was a prototype V320, which might have been a sort of German Western - but I read at the time that the DB didn't seem to have a lot of use for so much power in one diesel loco.
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

... (makes human dentistry seem really advanced!). Must knuckle down to getting the experts in!

I was rather impressed at the vet's dentistry on our hamster. I was quite impressed at being able to outwit her (just) to make her swallow her antibiotics.

Stewart. Morrison's round here have a similar money off scheme involving purchase of the Sun. I go to Sainsbury or Tesco on those days.

Pete. I've modelled US or German/Austrian/Swiss stuff for years now but I'm making something British (Warwickshire to be more precise) based at the moment. Although the track / scenery will be influenced by that area, I'm going to indulge myself and just run all the trains I want.

Tony

• RMweb Gold

I had a kind of epihany this week. As some of you are aware I lost my best friend in the 'States and my Brother - both to cancer within a month of each other about two years ago. Very depressing to say the least...

It was made worse by seeing my pal Baz endlessly in "repeats" (almost once per week) on American TV. I'd be flipping through the channels and spot his mug, waffling away and want to either hurl something at the TV or at least dive into it to spend another couple of minutes in his company.

My Wife on the contrary always missed his appearances - until this past week when I actually called her in to see him. She watched him for a few minutes and then remarked that he came over just like himself in person. She was right. Then I began to enjoy it...

I cannot imagine what it must be like for his Wife and family still, though.

As I'm still rather raw with this sort of thing, Pete, I can sympathise, of course. What I have found is that my mind keeps digging up little bits of 2012 where we were together - not necessarily having a great time, but just a couple being themselves as we had over 39 years. We'd had a few days in UK in Feb, ditto in the Vendee in April, plus the usual Le Mans stuff, including the Classic, and then our usual week in Spa. Lots of moments among that lot - and I'm glad I still have them in my head. The most difficult bit is the answerphone, which has Deb's voice - do I really want to rub out my last chance to hear her? Probably not yet.
  • Like 13

• RMweb Premium

I always thought of the V160 as comparable to a Hymek, just as the V200 was obviously a Warship. In each case there was at least some body-shape similarity, too. ISTR there was a prototype V320, which might have been a sort of German Western - but I read at the time that the DB didn't seem to have a lot of use for so much power in one diesel loco.

You're right, I didn't think of the Hymeks – these would indeed have been closer to being equivalents to the V160s. The V320 is, in fact, still active...

...and belongs to track builder Wiebe.

• Like 5

Ian, Yes, bereavement takes many forms. Some people I know just got on with life as if they'd buried their loved ones in their head too.

I'm a great believer in no CLOSURE. We must all honour their memories in our own way until it is our turn to go.

Best, Pete.

• Like 10

• RMweb Gold

That was a good day out on the Fens, with a stoat for company but the bugg*r managed to evade my camera, whenever I put it down he would come out, as soon as I moved he was off again, the local birds weren't too happy with him though.

Plenty of trains, everything turned up including all the ballasts which is unusual.

I lost my mum and dad when I was in my early twenties and my brother twenty years ago - I still miss them all and think about them often, as Bob says they are like a book to be revisited and good bits enjoyed.

• Like 7

I'm in for a morning at the kitchen showroom finalising how we are going to spend loads of money on a new kitchen...
Lucky you, Colin. I'd love to be able replace my kitchen - adequate as it is - with some decent professional equipment (as you may guess, I'm a serious amateur cook, and the shiny domestic stuff just doesn't cut the mustard). But, as you say, you'll be getting a modeling area out of it, so quids in then.

Bereavement is a funny thing, 2 years ago both Mrs iD and I lost our mothers within a 6 month period and in both cases it was a question of "when?" not if. And yet our responses couldn't be more different: for me there was a moment of intense sadness and then the world moved on, for Mrs iD grieving was quite a long process. And we both loved our mothers...

On a happier note, I got to Ikea just as they opened and was in and out in well under 45 minutes, back home and new shelving assembled in under 30 minutes, alas reorganizing the workshop took all day (and is still ongoing) and Mrs iD is pleased that things are getting tidier....

On a happier note, I got to Ikea just as they opened and was in and out in well under 45 minutes, back home and new shelving assembled in under 30 minutes, alas reorganizing the workshop took all day (and is still ongoing) and Mrs iD is pleased that things are getting tidier....

Good, Doctor,

Did you get standalone units? I'm looking for a set for my basement workshop if you've got a name.....

Best, Pete.

• RMweb Gold

Back from the show, which was very pleasant. Just for you, Pete, picked up some unpainted embossed brick and some printed engineer blue brick paper. No promises, but I'll have a play around with them and see how they look when I get round to scenics. Sorry I missed you Mike. I would have bought you a beer for all your help.

We missed you by a good couple of hours then Gordon - having been round a lot more of Wokingham than normal due to a traffic diversion. Not a bad little show although there were fewer layouts in total this year than last and what seemed like an awful lot of traders selling old or secondhand stock (I presume it was - looked like that from a brief glance at the boxes as I walked by). But some good layouts including Portcullin Tatty of this parish and a couple of interesting US logging layouts (which don't normally particularly interest me but one had a brilliant idea for supporting his fascia and lighting rig).

And talking of DB 218s one of those was the last type of diesel I travelled behind in Germany - 9 years since my last visit, alas - and here it is waiting to leave Lubeck Hbf on what was the first 'mainland' train of my 'grand tour' which took me to the eastern edge of Germany, then to Austria, followed by Italy and Switzerland before coming back through Germany to Brussels and thence Eurostar to London (and Belgium was the only country in which I didn't see any steam locos although I only saw working steam in Germany and Austria).

post-6859-0-82149200-1350173671_thumb.jpg

Edited by The Stationmaster
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Morning all...

While it's still too dark outside, I'm quite sure weather's again dismal. However, it's expected to improve by Tuesday.

Looks like we'll be baking some apple pie later on - one of the pleasant sides of autumn, I should say. Likewise, I'm looking forward to mushrooms and sprouts becoming available again... :)

Have a good one, whatever you're up to...

Morning all,

Woke up at stupid-o'clock, but managed to get back to sleep - so this time insomnia didn't win.

Pete, the shelving I got was called "Ivar". Its a modular system of unfinished soft wood, the drawback (beyond having to oil or varnish the wood), is that it's not stable even when assembled and to stabilize it you have to mount a rear cross-brace. The cross brace is part of the system and easy enough to do, although great care needs to be taken to get everything square when bracing.

Mrs iD wants to bring the garden furniture inside for the Winter, although I see no need for it. However on such domestic matters Mrs iD always wins.....

Hunting season has started here, so it's venison, chestnut parpadelle, green beans, and a chanterelle sauce for lunch

Otherwise, a quiet day...

A clear morning again here so perhaps another sunny day to follow.

Two stints doing Front of House for our local am dram (TOADS at The Little Theatre, Torquay) has left me tired. Reasonably sized, very appreciative audience for "Dangerous Obsession" by N. J. Crisp. Not bad, considering the Box Office 'phone isn't working and won't be fixed until Tues., halfway through the run! Well done, Talk, Talk for living up to your name!

Enjoy your "day of rest"!

Edited by Ashcombe
  • Like 3

Dominic!

You are looking forward to sprouts being available!?

What's wrong with you?

Back from Church. Roast Pork and roast potatoes with "seasonal vegetables" for lunch.

Seasonal vegetables will NOT include sprouts! O.K. Our seasons are opposite you yours

but whatever the season, sprouts will not feature. The selection will be two of,Carrots, butternut, gem squash, green beans, peas, cauliflower, spinach or. brocolli

• RMweb Gold

Morning all

I used to do a lot of am drams and musicals but on the lighting and sound side. The problem is, with that side of things, you spend the whole weekend before a run 'setting up' and the following weekend doing the 'get out'. Because you are hiring stuff setup usually goes on well into the night. At one time I was doing lots of those often back to back through the show season. I just had to draw a line and refuse shows. Now it's only one or two a year.

• Like 1

Goodness gracious me! I don't know anybody amongst my circle of friends/acquaintances who favour baby cabbages. However I bow to your preferences.. I have read on here joking references to putting the sprouts on to boil months before Christmas, so understood that they are a favoured part of a traditional Christmas dinner but did not realise that they were a general Winter dish.

I live and learn.

It's great we're all different, but here's the rub, sprouts are the only green vegetable I eat. No cabbage, spinach or anything similar and definitely no salad items such as lettuce or cucumber.

Edit: I have been know to have brocolli and have no problem with cauliflower, but then that's white, not green...

Edited by gordon s
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Morning All,

Lovely fresh clear morning here, the sky is blue, the sun is shining, the gardening beckons -------------------------I feel ill!

As you can guess I am really not in the mood for gardening. I used to enjoy it but lately it has become a bit of a chore - however it must be done because comments are being made by a certain person. Never an order, just a hint like " I see Russell (next door neighbour) is cutting his grass again-don't know how he finds the time considering the hours he puts in at work"

Now as all of us retired guys know we just haven't got the time on our hands that we used to have- there is soooooo much to do what with playing with trains, modelling, playing with trains and other important things like RM webbing & stuff.Lots of - stuff.

I have to go now because my grandson has decided that I am the only one who can do his boiled eggs the way he likes them. (see what I mean about no spare time)

See you later

Bob

PS I love sprouts!

Edited by grandadbob
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Morning all

Another overcast day - but the forecast is on the up for this week, so that's good. Sprouts are good things, and I learnt to enjoy them in my yoof - although I'm really pretty easy to feed, anyway. Necessarily the cook for the last 4 years, I wouldn't say I enjoy cooking exactly, but I have an adequate repertoire. Rabbit stew will be forthcoming sometime in the next few days.

• Like 1

When our children were young, our dog was good at eating up the unwanted veg - often the token sprout on our son's plate which he would sneak to her under the table!! She also had the 'benefit' of daily vitamin tablets for a month after I'd inadvertently bought a brand disliked by the children.

• Like 1

Morning all, for once nothing woke me early this morning. Which is a rare occurrence! Went to bed with a stonking head cold last night .but so far that seems to have gone!

Now tea and toast beckon, then couple of progress reports to do and this afternoon I'm going to try my hand at making a rice pudding......

Enjoy your day folks

Trev