The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

Morning all

Bit dull & dismal here, dry at the moment but rain is forecast. Hope it does because gardening beckons and my back and knee have told me that they are not in the mood for it today.

Having read various people talking about bread making here has made me dust off breadmaker so that is on the agenda. I use the machine for mixing,kneading & proving but then bung the dough in a loaf tin or on a tray & bake in the oven. This hopefully ends up with better shaped loaf without a hole & a nicer crust.

Grandchildren still asleep so very quiet at the moment-the lull before the storm I think!

Regards

Bob

• Like 2

Morning campers...spoken quietly so as not to wake Dave.

Thanks to Mike's reminder, I'm taking a break and wandering over to the Farnham show this morning.

It seems dry outside and the sun is trying to break through.

I suspect the afternoon will be more track building.

What a hectic life we lead..

• RMweb Gold

Morning all,

well they're home and I have received a full description of the trip, and the meals - and my tidying up wasn't even noticed so I'll not be doing any more I think ;) No we have the Waitrose expedition to restock the food stores - that'll be shortly once ablutions are complete and then off to the Farnham show once daughter is out of her pit so we'll probably miss Gordon alas.

Nice weather at the moment to - quite bright and sunny (now & then).

• RMweb Gold

I'm in for a morning at the kitchen showroom finalising how we are going to spend loads of money on a new kitchen :cry: However, that means the kitchen going into a big room we never really managed to use for anything else, the old kitchen becoming a nice snug study, and (fanfare) allowing me to reinstate the steps down to our cellar where finally after 50 years on the planet I shall have a dedicated modeling space :danced: :danced:

So I shall smile thoughout my morning in the cloud whilst imagining how much railway I'll be able to squeeze into the silver lining. May even earn some brownie points with the lovely wife along the way.

• Like 7

Basements are great.

The environment tends to be more stable than lofts (certainly over here, of course where even a well insulated one gets to really stupid temperatures when the outside air reaches over 100f). Any humidity can be handled with a DeHumidifier (although since we improved our A/C system into Dual Central Air - one handler on the top floor, the other in the basement) even that is a non-issue now and the biggest problem in the North East of the USA is a severe lack of humidity during the Winter months....

First day today starting at less than 32f/0C, I've just been outside in the dark and the the stars look like hard diamonds in the cold air - there really is an upside to everything if you look hard enough.

Have a good day everybody and remember the good times with missing friends.

Best, Pete.

• RMweb Gold

218 387 in the original Bundesbahn burgundy was working the Frankfurt-Glauburg Stockheim line during the evening peak yesterday. Saw her by surprise, so could take only this documentary photo.

I still want to call it a V160! Had a model in 1964, I think....
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I still want to call it a V160! Had a model in 1964, I think....

The 218s were intended to be designated V164 under the pre-1968 scheme, but as the first prototypes were not delivered until after the computerised numbering scheme had been introduced, they were called 218 from the beginning. 218 387 is the only of her class to be thus painted, I should add. The loco is owned by Kurhessenbahn, who are a semi-independent sector of DB Regio headquartered in Kassel, and has been restored to the Bundesbahn livery during her last revision in 2008.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Sitting in a carpark. We went for flu jabs. Lack of queue seemed to confuse some people. Now shopping but seem to have misplaced spouse. I have the food so I am sure she will find me!

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

MIL fobbed off after 50 mins! In fairness, she seems to have had few visitors, and even fewer return visits, having got very cross with anyone who dared to ask "How are you?" Being 90, and having lost both daughters, is not much fun, we can guess.

Horses now hay-ed, in the pi**ing rain, so back indoors with tea. Some blue sky in far distance.

• RMweb Gold

Or you buried her under the foodstuffs!

No, she did turn up. She had diverted into the library, found out that her ticket had expired, renewed it, and had a nice chat with the librarians about what Matthew was doing now.

Back from the show, which was very pleasant. Just for you, Pete, picked up some unpainted embossed brick and some printed engineer blue brick paper. No promises, but I'll have a play around with them and see how they look when I get round to scenics. Sorry I missed you Mike. I would have bought you a beer for all your help.

My daughter had a pony way back when Ian, but thankfully I never got involved with mucking out and the like....

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

My daughter had a pony way back when Ian, but thankfully I never got involved with mucking out and the like....

We bought Varian in 1983 as a 2-year-old, and she's been pretty good, really. Bronte came along a decade later. It's just that I'm not at all horsey, but always looked after them when Deb was away, and have done so full-time since her accident in 2008, obviously. They really don't take a lot of time, but are a bit of a tie. I may have a deal to offload them in the Spring to a couple with a child who wants a horse. Varian will then be nudging 32, which is a pretty good age for Dobbin, so another Winter might be her last, anyway. Ashamed to admit they need shoeing and their teeth rasped (makes human dentistry seem really advanced!). Must knuckle down to getting the experts in!
  • Like 1

Morning all,

I spent all of last night dismantling sections of my railway room so I can fit my new filing cabinet for the business. I'm also seriously considering dismantling Copley Hill and turning the baseboard into a much needed storage yard and workbench. Since I'm going to be building a new layout anyway it makes sense to consolidate what I have.

Just seen a helicopter being transported on a flat bed on the M25, heading towards Junction 10. I think it was a Gazelle but wasn't sure. Certainly made heads turn!

Forgot this...

dsc075465rqze.jpg

218 387 in the original Bundesbahn burgundy was working the Frankfurt-Glauburg Stockheim line during the evening peak yesterday. Saw her by surprise, so could take only this documentary photo.

Afternoon all,

I haven't got a clue what that is but something deep within tells me to like it! It's funny really, I've never been into overseas steam, not even a little bit, but just lately some European diesels and the odd electric are starting to grow on me... I dare say it's the sight of a Gauge 1 German V200 Hydraulic in the model shop at Princes Risborough that's lit the proverbial fuse.... ;)

Sunny but cold here so far, chores done, leaking bathroom basin waste pipe attended to, several thousand digital photos backed up onto disc at long last, on my fourth brew of the day.... am now killing time until my shift starts at 22.44 tonight!

Gordon,

I think it will be worth a bit of your time to try out. If I lived closer I'd come over, paint and weather them for you..

Simon, I agree with you - some remarkably "clever" people on this forum well versed in the psychological arts.........

Rugd1022 Then you've been missing out on a lot! The more people that get their heads out of the sand that is Rail in the UK the better we'd all be.

I learnt to ride horses on a piebald giant called Peacock. This horse would have been able to lift me plus full suit of armor and carry me at a full canter into the far distance. All he wanted in return was a continuous supply of apples.

I had a kind of epihany this week. As some of you are aware I lost my best friend in the 'States and my Brother - both to cancer within a month of each other about two years ago. Very depressing to say the least...

It was made worse by seeing my pal Baz endlessly in "repeats" (almost once per week) on American TV. I'd be flipping through the channels and spot his mug, waffling away and want to either hurl something at the TV or at least dive into it to spend another couple of minutes in his company.

My Wife on the contrary always missed his appearances - until this past week when I actually called her in to see him. She watched him for a few minutes and then remarked that he came over just like himself in person. She was right. Then I began to enjoy it...

I cannot imagine what it must be like for his Wife and family still, though.

Hence my comments at the end of my last post.

Best, Pete.

Edited by trisonic
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

but just lately some European diesels and the odd electric are starting to grow on me... I dare say it's the sight of a Gauge 1 German V200 Hydraulic in the model shop at Princes Risborough that's lit the proverbial fuse.... ;)

Well, the V160 family's actually something like a single-engined relative to the V200s, and as such distantly related to the British 42s as well! As you may know, almost all pre-1990 West German diesels were hydraulics, whereas the East German railways, for example, received various Soviet-designed types, which in most cases were diesel-electrics.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon All

Been AWOL again, I'm afraid, but have caught up with the good, indifferent, and sad news of fellow ERs over the last few days - Richard, such sad news about your Staffy - it's a journey that we all take (and for some of us, time and time again) - I've done it a fair few times now myself, and I always look back on the wise words of a vet friend who out our sixteen year old Cocker to sleep, and gently told us that we don't really own an animal, our function in its life is to look after it, and to give it the best life that we can for the time that the animal has with us. Once that time is up, the last trip, though sad, is the final act of love that we can offer, to make sure that life is no longer intolerable for the animal. These words have stayed with me, and I have often shared them with people in this situation. So that is what I can offer here for you.

Now then back to the drivel educated and erudite discussion. 30747 and Lily between them decided that they'd truncate my much anticipated lie in and I wound up with the shopping list and a trip to Morrison's - heads up, there's a coupon in today's Daily Mirror for a tenner off a Morrison's shop if you spend sixty - worth spending 70p for the paper even if it then winds up at the bottom of the puppy pen!

Sun's shining, and 30747 looking for a lift, so

Regards to All

Stewart

• Like 2