The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

I managed to do that once when I was planning to make a cake!

I will check but I'm sure Aditi said the cake she made for Matthew's birthday had no flour, just cocoa powder and ground almonds. It was very nice, couldn't taste the almonds at all!

• RMweb Gold

The words: "Candy" for sweets, "The Fall" for Autumn and "diaper" are actually British but dropped out of use in Britain before 1900.

In much of India the name for a spare wheel is a "stepney" long after it ceased to be used in Britain. I found this out when Aditi's uncle asked if we had a stepney in the trunk (he has lived in California for many years too)

Edited by Tony_S

In much of India the name for a spare wheel is a "stepney" long after it ceased to be used in Britain.

I have one of those. I don't keep it in the boot of my car, though, it's just above the waistband of my trousers...

Edited by sixoh8sixoh
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

This unsteady weather's been affecting both me and SWMBO again, though prepping a good dinner of scrambled eggs with sausage, sliced and fried bread dumplings and a green salad helped a lot. I think we'll now be watching The Wrath of Khan.

• RMweb Gold

The weather has slowly eased off this week. The threatened gales, gales and more gales have gone - it really is still outside, and the sunset is in among a few patches of blue.

The really good news is the forecast for Sunday - sunny! That is important as the local preserved line, the TRANSVAP have their Pomme-Vapeur day - at Prevelles to celebrate the apple in Autumn. Steam and some lovely autorails. Might finally get a ride in X93953, the Picasso I lust after, but have only been able to snap so far - although I did sit in her for a few minutes a few years back.

• Like 2

Weather has improved my neck of the woods as well, but brisk and just the weather for warm home-made bread. All my bread is made by hand and I have Jamie Oliver recipe that is both idiot proof and which requires only 5 minutes kneading. I always get a decent loaf out of the recipe - no matter what flour I use. However, I always use fresh yeast (comes in cubes) and the secret is to use the exact amount of yeast specified in the recipe (both too much and too little will result in failure

Usefully, if I want to wheedle some extra privileges from SWMBO (Mrs iD), I bake her a loaf of her favourite bread - a white loaf made to a Michel Roux Jr recipe (http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/sandwich_bread_loaf_93879). You really have to make double quantities (the recipe does scale up), as it gets scarfed down before it has a chance to go cold...

No modeling yesterday or today, the paying job has suddenly gone into overload and my booster business venture has also briefly gained my attention..

G'night all

• RMweb Gold

And for all these years I have been thinking that early risers was something to to do with getting up with the larks when it is in fact a secret bread maker's society.

Edited by BoD
  • Like 4

The weather has slowly eased off this week. The threatened gales, gales and more gales have gone - it really is still outside, and the sunset is in among a few patches of blue.

The really good news is the forecast for Sunday - sunny! That is important as the local preserved line, the TRANSVAP have their Pomme-Vapeur day - at Prevelles to celebrate the apple in Autumn. Steam and some lovely autorails. Might finally get a ride in X93953, the Picasso I lust after, but have only been able to snap so far - although I did sit in her for a few minutes a few years back.

Good morning, all!

There was a stunning sunset over Torbay yesterday as we headed for the theatre but, by the time I'd parked the car, it had lost its glow.

Pomme-Vapeur must involve consumption of "du cidre", surely?!

Edited by Ashcombe

• RMweb Premium

Mornin all.

If it is morning. It's dark outside so it could be anything.

i don't want to raise false hopes here, but out of the 73,257 grass seeds which I planted weeks ago, yesterday one of them -- if viewed in the right light with a magnifying glass -- was showing something which might possibly be the beginnings of a shoot.

Martin.

• RMweb Premium

Morning all...

Sun is just about to rise, so I guess those who aren't up yet will be stirring in their beds soon enough. I can't tell who of them will be crusty upon getting up so early, though.

Weather forecast is actually quite good, but I guess you'd better be prepared for anything at this time of year. Come mid-October, I should probably consider putting on those winter tyres, too, so I might better make an appointment for that in time.

Ashcombe, you really do qualify as an Early Riser.

Still cloudy and overcast here with more rain to come.

On this morning's early road report various intersections reported to be flooded due to heavy overnight rain.

Nothing like your flooding in the UK though, just minor inconveniences.

• Like 1