The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

I'm sitting at a make shift desk, with my seat a single stool, as they (head office) have taken my desk and chair in another part of the move today, leaving my computer and scanner. The printer's gone and so has the fridge and the kettle. Ho-hum. Off to the cafe for a cuppa I suspect.

Three days to go, already dreaming up the next book as I type...

"We're from headquarters - we're here to help!" One of the most misplaced management remarks of all time. I have used it - but only self-mockingly.

As for dreaming about other matters at work, I believe the majority of the planet's workforce does this on a daily - indeed probably hourly - basis. I hope something turns up for you as soon as possible.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

All a bit disturbing. ISTR a tale of a senior railwayman (an Area Manager at a major London terminus) who was known for liking a drop or two, and had been out for an entertaining evening. He took three goes to get into the drive - and apparently only gave up there because he was bored with scraping the car on the gatepost, and the hedge was also looking a bit mutilated. And then he realised it wasn't actually his house......

If that's not proof for the wisdom that strong drink giveth desire, but taketh away the ability, I honestly do not know what is!

• RMweb Gold

If that's not proof for the wisdom that strong drink giveth desire, but taketh away the ability, I honestly do not know what is!

I believe a significant number of women on this planet could offer a similar example of a more intimate nature - but probably won't!

• RMweb Gold

I'm back from phase one of the dentistry. The dentist will repair the other tooth on Monday. They were too far apart to be done with one local anaesthetic. I'm happy that he felt there was enough to repair and not require an extraction. Some medication I used to take as a side effect caused tooth problems and I suppose I shouldn't complain too much as it did cure what it was supposed to!

With our bread machine I try to make "just enough" However this week is difficult to guess what to make. Aditi takes sandwiches to work but this week she was supposed to be chairing assessment board meetings, (these include a working lunch). Then she was told at the last minute she wasn't to chair meetings any more. Then she was told (by another senior person) to attend the assessment boards to ensure that someone there knew about procedures and standards.

Now with my Machiavellian hat on the fact that a couple of senior posts are being created and some are disappearing and some people suddenly want to do things they have shown no interest in, is quite suspicious.

• Like 2

My breadmaker gets regular use - two or three times a week.

I found I was getting regular indigestion from eating shop bought "plastic" bread. Home made bread doesn't seem to cause the same problems. Sometimes, we cheat and buy the ready mixes but it still works out cheaper and more convenient than buying bread regularly. Plus, it tastes better.

(Obviously, you have to factor in the electricity costs, which I haven't done - so maybe it isn't really cheaper - but it still tastes better!)

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

...and you have to factor in that the children eat more of it because it tastes nicer.

Going to try them out a proper casserole with dumplings on them later this week.

Not sure about the plastic bread, Robert. I think you're meant to take it out of the wrapper first? :wink_mini:

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

but it still works out cheaper and more convenient than buying bread regularly. Plus, it tastes better.

(Obviously, you have to factor in the electricity costs, which I haven't done - so maybe it isn't really cheaper - but it still tastes better!)

I did once calculate the cost and it was more expensive than standard bread. It is probably better to compare it to the speciality bread available in many places. Clearly much cheaper than that Poilane (spelling?) bread I've seen in certain London supermarkets.

If my breadmaker ever fails I will replace it with the model with the automatic seed/nut dispenser and a rye paddle. One domesticated skill I've never managed is successfully making cakes. I did make a birthday cake for Aditi once. It was based on a Nigella Lawson recipe for cherry muffins but I made it as one huge cake.

• RMweb Gold

Well, told you so. The bread was a dead loss, and no pics will be provided. It weighed 400g, but was hardly bigger than a cricket ball. No sign whatever of it rising. Yeast was a sealed packet - albeit a couple of weeks out of date - so should have been fresh. All that said, it is still edible, and while still warm I hacked off a few bits and had them with some brie. One of life's mysteries remains obscure to me.....

I ignore the instructions about putting the yeast the (Sainsbury's cheapo) breadmaker - I start it outside.Water in a measuring jug where I can test its temperature (JUST warm to the touch, Mix in the sugar, mix in the yeast and wait for it to start before putting it in. Find it gives much better rising.

Evening all, still awe struck by my Holiday......(and three flights in cattle class!) then to find myself nett less until this evening....now 3500+ photos to go through....

More in a day or two....(hmm smell all the fresh baked bread on here...........ahhhhh)

Trev.

• Like 1

Hello,

Back to Winter (did it ever leave) 80% probability of rain, max temp 15C. I think I'll go back to bed!

Enjoy Thursday and look foreward to the weekend.

I was fine with cake making, rich fruit or sponge, any kind. but couldn't make buns (hot cross) or bread rolls

• RMweb Gold

morning all, just geting ready for the 7am bus to work - don't normally log on in the morning but i think i'm ok for time. I enjoy my breadmaker. It's currently a Morphy Richards but I still us the recipe from my first ever breadmaker and they said it's as important to put the ingredients in in the right order (especially if you are using the delayed start function)

My recipe (in order!) is 1.3 cups (8oz) of room temp water, tbsp of oil, tsp salt, 3.3 cups of flour, tsp sugar and sachet (equiv of a tsp) of breadmaking yeast. I think fresh yeast is important as is using the stuff designed for breadmakers. The order quoted keeps yeast and salt well apart. I'm on about 90% success rate, lovely wife is on about 98% (she's annoying LOL) but even the dodgy looking ones are edible.

Had my toast this morning as usual, spreadable lurpak shared with the cat. He appears from anywhere in house or garden at the sound of the lurpak lid hitting the worktop!

Have a good day everyone, i'm off to work sadly.

Gordon, did you find the missing point?

Not yet, so I made another one. Still don't believe I didn't make it the first time... :no:

What were you doing out at 2.30am, Ashcombe, or shouldn't I ask....

I can imagine you taking 3,500 photos, Trev. Canada and the Rockies is a wonderful place to go.

My dear lady returns home today. Even though I was starting to get used to being on my own and could certainly adjust, I'll be glad to see her again and get some life back in the house. She took the dogs with her and both cats have been in the cattery for the week, so it's just been me and my soldering iron rattling around.