The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

As far as I remember I was happy with my small train set and it never got much larger. A bit more track, one extra loco (the 2-6-4T), a few more wagons, and the operating TPO set. I never had a tender locomotive or any passenger coaches. It was never fixed to a board because the pleasure was always in rearranging the tracks.

Martin.

So that's why you have spent 33 years developing Templot!

Ed

• Like 3

Fingers crossed then Nidge - rumoured to be a major Reading blockade coming next Easter (for the 'ski jump' flyover I believe) with diversions via Banbury again.

I'd best put in for a refresher from Aynho to Old Oak then... ;) . In the meantime we've got the HOBC thingumy to play with, I've got to take it from Bescot to Willesden tonight, then tomorrow I'm booked to turn it round via Mitre Bridge / Sou' West Sidings / Acton Wells and Wembley. All go isn't it?

when Goblin were making a bomb from selling the Teasmade.

When I moved to the 'States and my folks were still alive I bought them a TeasMade for Xmas. It only lasted a couple of weeks - what they never mentioned in the blurb was when it went off it was like being next to a B17 (not the bomber) when the safety was blowing............

In the Winter of 1963 I remember waking up and my glass of water on the bedside table was frozen solid.

Best, Pete.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

All this talk of tea making, means I'm off to kitchen right now.

This posting of the first drivel that comes to mind is strangely addictive.

Not forgetting that once posted, it is on the web forever. What future historians will make of the news that Martin Wynne made a cup of tea at 15:27 BST on 25th September 2012 is a bit of a mystery.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Well, that's nearly 48 hours of continual heavy rain. *

There is an awful lot of red on the travel info sites.

East coast (not so) main line

http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/service_disruptions/additional_info/ECML.jpg

https://mobile.twitter.com/networkrail/status/250578459447922689?photo=1

*other weather is available (but not at this location or at this time).

Edited by BoD

Still not Noon in NYC............Sunny as well......(your weather may vary).

You remember the song "Big Yellow Taxi" by Joni Mitchell? The lyrics that probably set every English teacher to tearing their hair out?

"Don't it always seem to go?

That you don't know what you've got till its gone...

They paved Paradise and put up a parking lot"

Despite what it says on her own website (the lyrics are an amalgam) it was actually based on a lot in the North Hollywood section of Sunset Boulevard where an old dear of English descent planted a garden on some land she owned some time in the thirties. The garden included paths and some seats and was open for everyone to enjoy. When she died in the sixties her grandson promptly sold it for development and it is still an ugly "strip mall" and car park. There used to be a sign which someone kept putting up pointing this out (it was always removed and then replaced). I think that the sign won out when the owner realized it drew people to the place.

Keep an eye out if you are visiting.

My old base there was the Capitol Tower (and studios) on Hollywood and Vine. This rather beautiful landmark building (but not very ergonomic for offices) looks like a pile of old fashioned records complete with a needle sticking in the top one. It has an uncertain future too since EMI was sold a few weeks ago to Universal. I hope it survives. I once gave an interview on the roof of it to a few college kids. Love the place.

Best, Pete.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

"The device is not to be used by persons with reduced physical, sensory or mental capabilities, or lack of experience and knowledge, unless they have been given supervision or instruction."

Guess the device? Click down and drag your mouse over the space below to see the answer:

Doorbell push button.

Martin.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold
You remember the song "Big Yellow Taxi" by Joni Mitchell?

I don't think anyone has written a song about anywhere I've lived unless of course we allow "A13, Trunk Road to the Sea" though Mr Bragg misses out Benfleet in the lyrics!

Edited by Tony_S

• RMweb Gold

"The device is not to be used by persons with reduced physical, sensory or mental capabilities, or lack of experience and knowledge, unless they have been given supervision or instruction."

I think the writing of instructions for such devices is probably one of the few career opportunities for conspiracy theorists suffering from paranoia.

To be serious I have a friend who works in insurance. His speciality is providing cover for "unknown risks".

• RMweb Gold

Ah, so you've also got a wife like that (however most mornings mine does get up to make the tea so reciprocation later in the day is no bad thing).

Aditi often asks if I'd like a cup of tea. If I say yes, she will suggest I go and make it.

• Like 4

Had an offer to go on a golf trip with my brother to Royal Lytham this week. They went up Sunday. He's just phoned to say they came home early as they were there two days and didn't hit one golf ball between them as it never stopped raining. I feel for them as it was £300 plus fuel and food and they never played a shot....

Spent all day on my back soldering wires on ET. Always a dangerous thing to do as gravity and molten solder don't go together. Managed to escape unscathed and a couple of hundred wires are now in place.

Edit: It's still sunny and I'm still in shorts. We don't know we're born really. Thinking of all you guys 'oop north.

Edited by gordon s

• RMweb Gold

Meant to say thanks for the Mark Knopfler recommendation Pete. Shangri-La turned up today. Currently playing and got as far as 'The Trawlerman's Song' and it sounds right up my street..

I don't seem to have Shangri-La in my collection. My favourite post Dire Straits Mark Knopfler album is the one he did with Emmylou Harris "All the Roadrunning".

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Spent all day on my back soldering wires on ET. Always a dangerous thing to do as gravity and molten solder don't go together.

SNIP

It's still sunny and I'm still in shorts.

So, knowing about Uncle Isaac (Newton) and the dangers of molten solder, you lay on your back wearing SHORTS? Such bravery! Phew!
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

So, knowing about Uncle Isaac (Newton) and the dangers of molten solder, you lay on your back wearing SHORTS? Such bravery! Phew!

I was impressed too. I'm not sure I could solder upside down now. I need to get my spectacle choice right for the distance involved and it is difficult enough the right way up. I'm not making any board I can't invert for wiring now.

I really did do something model railway related today. I've got a couple of( very) unfinished layout projects but what I really need is a fiddle yard so I started something but of course not the fiddle yard.

I've started the curve that will connect any layout to the proposed storage tracks. It has got to be light and portable (I may use Matthew's room for trains while he is away!) so I'm going for a bendy MDF / Styrofoam sandwich (a curly sandwich). The outer crust of the first quadrant has been glued and I shall refrain from doing what I usually do and investigate too soon. I don't do modelling for ages and then I rush things so I'm being good (or trying to be). I've also compromised on radius in the past. This time I'm using about 1metre radius for the curves.

Tony