The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Loved the music and the CGI, Martin and Dave. I hadn't seen those before, so was amazed at the HD detail in the instruments...

Funny I can't remember much about being 7. A couple of years into Junior school and still a few years away from 11 plus, so no real landmarks to guide me.

Too dark to see if it's still raining outside.

Nah, Mick. Winter's the one where it all goes White - we have that to look forward too.

We had some really nasty storms Saturday evening.

I'm thinking of moving in to Don's place...........

Best, Pete.

Edited by trisonic

• RMweb Premium

If we took cake to school it had to be physically defended.

I found that to be a futile exercise. It also is when you bring something to the staffroom, though!

Speaking of which, I'll be back working at school by next week – finally. I'm sure this will again be quite demanding, but I do want to get all the experience I can get till I start working full time.

• RMweb Premium

Morning all.

Lovely photo, Pete.

Wet and mild here in Hampshire.

Sad to see my Adam Ant costume going back to the hire shop after a friend's 40th b'day "80s-themed" party. 3 hours of dancing in pvc reminded me of wearing an aircrew NBC respirator. Not sure my knees will ever recover - they feel like lead.

The loaf of bread I baked last night has already disappeared into the children and lunch boxes. Better put another one on!

Andy

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

On Friday last No2 Son went out with his PA to 10-pin bowling in Truro. Arranging the next outing, he seemed keen on bowling again, so we've timed things so the can go from Truro to Falmouth on the train ( which he loves travelling on ), bowl, then come back on the train.

In preparation for event coming up, we usually tell him what's happening, then quiz him the following day to make sure he understands...

"So, where are you going on Tuesday ?"

"Bowling."

"And how are you getting there ?"

"Steam"

"No, it's a diesel"

"Electric"

"No, it's a diesel, a DMU. and where are you going from Truro on the train ?"

"Switzerland" !

I just hope his PA has his passport and deep pockets !

• Like 8

Oh for a chance to laze about! (or be agoraphobic).

I have meetings today and tomorrow or I'd certainly choose to be housebound in this weather.

The stream/river is rising rapidly.

"I found that to be a futile exercise."

Of course we had a few boys who weren't equipped to defend anything.

I remember one whose mother gave him most excellent treats to take to school.

He used them as a sort of protection payment.

Edited for anecdote of DD's tough times.

Edited by DDolfelin

• RMweb Gold

Yes, Don. As he is 18 and special needs, he gets funding to help with day-to-day living, in what ever form that takes. It could be used to adapt his home, provide equipment, or, as in his case, help with the transition to independence. The long term aim is to move him into a supported living situation.

Having a PA is helping that, as he is a typical teenager and doesn't listen to his parents...

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Thunderstorm warning just came in, after the sky's been dark and threatening for more than an hour now.

I'm still chuckling about a translation error I came across in an episode of Star Trek: Voyager last night. I myself prefer to watch Star Trek in English, but SWMBO preferred we run it in German. It turned out they had translated the "telepathic pitcher plant" from the episode "Bliss" such that they substituted the receptacle for liquid beverages with the baseball pitcher. Oh my...

• Like 1

Thanks for the info, Stubby. Very interesting. I wish him every success.

I had a Scout in my Troop who was challenged. We kept in touch over years and after his parents died he was sufficiently financially independant to be able to afford a PA and thus able to live his own life independantly..

morning all

Pretty cool, wet and windy here too, it looks like time to start lighting the fire so I'd better go and fill up the coal bucket and wood basket.

Stationmaster - unfortunately being a newbie I am also domesticated and do all the household duties, but it is a lot less stressful than when I worked in the Plastics Industry so I am quite happy about it.

AndyB - nice to know there is another bread baker on here, best taste there is especially shortly after its left the oven. Luckily we have a flour mill in the town (6 miles away) and I get my flour straight from there.

Looks like a modelling day today after housework is completed.

Phew! :stink: I think I need to put the cat out, she could have done that some place other than on my lap right under my nose.

Catch you later.

Jim

I'm still chuckling about a translation error I came across in an episode of Star Trek: Voyager last night. I myself prefer to watch Star Trek in English, but SWMBO preferred we run it in German. It turned out they had translated the "telepathic pitcher plant" from the episode "Bliss" such that they substituted the receptacle for liquid beverages with the baseball pitcher. Oh my...

Snigger!

It's amazing how often it happens. Unfortunately, I can't remember the error in translation concerned, but a recent episode of CSI had me guffawing with laughter.

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

It isn't raining at the moment but I expect it will start up again soon. At one point last night it was so heavy the Sky satellite signal went missing. Anyway it was only Andrew Marr doing his version of what I'm sure was done by other people less irritatingly!

Nothing too much planned for today, whatever the weather accompanying the dog is a required task. No chance of agoraphobia! My mother suffered from agoraphobia and claustrophobia. It wasn't easy for us working out what space she was going to be "happy" with.

Tony

• RMweb Premium

I just remembered another translation error from Voyager last night. When Neelix and Kim were discussing meal options in "Nightingale", they quite simply turned "eggplant" into a loan translation rather than using the usual German "aubergine".

And then, of course, there is the infamous "port side, torpedo hatch" from Star Trek II...

Ok, which one of you switched the calendar to November?

Cold misty, rain, etc. Perfect Monday weather. According to the local weather hobbiest we had 25.2mm of rain yesterday. That and the wind seems to have knocked one of the security lights for six. Damn thing won't switch off anymore.

• RMweb Gold

Morning all. [Note resolution to be more polite!] It was surprisingly warm late evening here, and then I saw flashes in the sky. I may have heard a rumble or two of thunder in the night, but wasn't disturbed by it. Today we have serious wind (up to 75 kph forecast) and there has been some rain. Still, at least it's mild. Need to shop - and will make use of the recyc on the way. Lots of Deb's smalls to be sent to charity, and a load of magazines for pulping, some mine, some hers. As a right pair of squirrels there is an awful lot of stuff in this small house!

• Like 1