The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Perhaps I should draw his attention to the recent fascinating thread on postfix notation. Stacks of fun there!

I realized today just how much I had forgotten about Maths.....even so I wouldn't like to get into a discussion with Martin on the details of 1950's Gibson Les Pauls.....

Best, Pete.

• Like 1

Volkswagen Hoth? Mos Eisley Pajero?

There is of course, this company in India... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Force_Motors

Morning all! Got to work, realised I had 40 minutes to finish scripting and doing the slides for a presentation I'd forgotten about. All done now, and presentation given.

Nice to see Jam back in the fold - can we see any pics of the pub you're modelling? (either in model form or of the real thing)

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

A late good morning from me , been doing 'stuff' so only just got round to

booking in .

Welcome to new ER's and returners .

Yoda might like a Galaxy , or if he's as old as he looks many moons ago

Mitsubishi did a Starrion , Star I on , get it , eh, eh . :jester:

Off to do some more ' stuff ' now .

Have a fun one .

It's not an esoteric discussion.

Just responding in my usual light hearted way to those who assume greater knowledge.

Great strides (well, 2mm strides) on the Art Deco Cinema.

Some difficulty, now overcome, in making a rounded corner to the building.

Pics. when it's painted.

• RMweb Gold

Thanks everyone - it's good to be back!

Welcome to all the new residents of ERs.

Mick - Yep I'm still going to uni - go back on Monday, I reckon this year is going to be very tough! Results only came through 4 days ago! Ridiculous.

Still, at least I passed the first year I guess, although I wish they'd told me quicker as it would save me worrying throughout the summer.

Mike, Thanks, if you click on the 'Old Road' photo in my signature there will be some photos towards the end. I'll try and get some progress done and update tonight with some more photos.

Weather is nice and sunny here but with a strong wind it seems. Got to return a book to the library, pay in a cheque, go to the bottle bank and collect a prescription - oh the joys of being taxi/goods pickup/drop off service haha. Suppose that means I'll be battling to work out how the stupid bank doors work - each one is different, flipping things.

Late on parade again, why didn't somebody get me up...?!!

Welcome to all ER's new residents... the kettle's always on the boil here ;-)

Bloomin' chilly here this morning but rather nice too, very cold heading down to Oxford last night as well, with an extended Stud Farm Quarry - Exeter stone train (so that's what Captain Kernow was fettling Riverside Yard for!)... had the cooker and cab heater on all the way to Oxford to keep the draughts at bay, with two mugs of piping hot tea consumed in Fenny Compton Loop!

Looking forward to the Churnet Valley Diesel Gala at the weekend - never been there before so the 'Semi-Official Works Outing' should be a rather goo oned...

Had a call from the Paramedic's this afternoon. My dear old Mum had taken a tumble in the town centre and they had to take care of her. Thankfully nothing was broken and they took her back to her flat and then rang me. She has a huge black eye and a sizeable bump on the side of her head, but otherwise is OK. Every so often I have to remind myself she will be 90 in a few weeks time and yet can still go out and about on her own despite the fact we're just around the corner with plenty of transport and a helping hand.

Hopefully she'll sleep well tonight, but I expect they'll be a few stiff limbs for days to come. That generation has so much to be proud of...

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

Had a call from the Paramedic's this afternoon. My dear old Mum had taken a tumble in the town centre and they had to take care of her. Thankfully nothing was broken and they took her back to her flat and then rang me. She has a huge black eye and a sizeable bump on the side of her head, but otherwise is OK. Every so often I have to remind myself she will be 90 in a few weeks time and yet can still go out and about on her own despite the fact we're just around the corner with plenty of transport and a helping hand.

Hopefully she'll sleep well tonight, but I expect they'll be a few stiff limbs for days to come. That generation has so much to be proud of...

Fingers crossed Gordon, it's no fun and quite worrying when you get the paramedics ringing to tell you that your AP has taken a tumble. However they certainly seem to come tough at that age but the most comical thing about it that I ever saw was my dad - at the age of 89 and with distinctly poor eyesight - 'helping' an old lady cross the road despite her protestations that she could manage on her own, and she couldn't have been a day over 75 (or she was wearing remarkably well).

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I'm rather happy to have mostly fixed all remaining issues with the phone installation in here. As we have a cable router/modem which is also capable of serving as an internal phone exchange, I needed to reconfigure the original ISDN wiring to get the attached phones working again. As not all of the phone cabling in this house had been clearly marked – some cables having been installed 15 years ago, well before DSL and cable internet came on the agenda – , it turned out I had been tinkering with the wrong cables all along over the past few days – d'oh. However, once I realised which one was the correct cable, everything was a piece of cake – as usual, I guess! I still need to reconnect one last ISDN phone, but I'm confident that this won't be very difficult.

Though it might seem odd, given what I just described, I do actually like messing with electronics and communications gear like this!

• Like 1

It didn't seem quite right to "like" your post, Gordon but I'm very pleased that things are better than they might have been.

I'm sure you'll keep a careful eye open in the next few days in case of delayed effects of the tumble.

I've had similar experiences on several occasions with the In Laws and it's always a worry.

FiL's obstinacy in wearing a particular pair of very good leather shoes, but which were very slippy, has been a contributing factor.

• RMweb Gold

Dom,

glad you got the phones sorted. If something is supposed to work I do like to get it working and I can get quite irritated if I can't. If it turns out to be an error that is due to the instruction leaflet being wrong I don't feel so bad. With electronic communications, if stuck I just ask my brother. He likes solving things like that.

We have a very sophisticated phone system here, if the phone rings, Robbie barks, so who ever is in another room with a phone answers it. Otherwise all the caller can hear is "woof woof", "for goodness sake be quiet".

• Like 1

Guest Max Stafford

Car update; now back in service. Problem: driveshaft snap ring failed, allowing driveshaft to slide out of mesh with the final drive, thereby losing power transmission. Think of the worm on one of our models without the grub screw and you'll get the idea. I'm £270 lighter now though that's less than I feared - I'm hoping to recoup some of the cost on ebay so have a look at maxstafford's items and see if there's owt you fancy! ;) There will be more!

Dave.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Glad your car is sorted and cheaper than a new clutch.

Our Clio is going in for a service and MoT tomorrow (Thursday). I've also asked them to try and sort out a coolant loss. It is somewhere round the thermostat housing. So tomorrow morning will be; follow Aditi to garage, take her to clinic for blood test, then down to the station so she can go to work.

Tony

Morning All,

First rain of trip today, seems to be remnants of of some tropical storm batting it's way up the east coast. Still it didnt stop me from wandering around the New Brunswick Railway museum, though why theres a jet fighter parked there I know not!

Also had to share lunch with a little chap....

Belated welcome to the newcomers,

Enjoy your day all,

Trev

post-4282-0-37863000-1348095751.jpg

post-4282-0-75749900-1348095908.jpg

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

It's far-too-early o'clock, but I can't seem to sleep due to thinking about a colleague at work who is facing a ridiculous, and in my view insulting, charge of capability because he's been asked ( told) to do far too much at the same time.

With a workforce of only 30 it's not hard to work out who has raised the issue - in my view it goes against the ethics of the company ( as stated in the handbook & contract ) - what makes this harder is this accuser is my line manager, with whom I have issues as he is ( again in my view) incapable of doing his own job... ( plus he's got less years of age than I have working in the IT industry ).

Compared to recent events in Manchester, this is a minor issue, but for my friend it is career threatening.

• Like 3

Morning All,

Brrrr - it's chilly this morning. A mere 3°C in the forest - I think it will soon be time to put the Winter Tyres on the car!

Glad to hear that your Mum is Ok after her fall, Gordon.

My ex-Wife's aunt broke her hip at around the age of 97. At the time, she was carrying a tray of Sunday Lunch to the "Old Lady" downstairs. Who was in her 70s!

As for your problems Stubby - sadly all too common in this day and age. I am very lucky at my current company - but at previous ones what is said in public, and what is actually done is a very different thing. Plus, too many people are promoted to the level of their incompetence.

Have a good day everyone...

Good morning.

A clear blue sky to start the morning but forecast say 10% rain possible today, but almost certain tomorrow and Saturday

I hope your Mom is not too shook up Gordon!

Dd, I saw your solution to the Art deco corner, but didn't see where the problem was posed. Directions please.

Guest Max Stafford

Sadly such situations as your poor friend is experiencing are the norm today, Stubby, even in my line of work. Doesn't make it easier, but hey ho, a man needs a roof over his head.

Anyway. Only in today and tomorrow then two weeks off. Raining heavily at the moment, so I'll down this tea and be on my way!

Have a good day all, whatever you're up to.

Dave.