The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Morning all...

I'm still groggy after having woken up with a horrible headache and nausea around 3.45 am. Could have been a migraine, in which case it'd have been the first with headache in a rather long time. So, I guess I'll stick with tea rather than coffee for the moment as my stomach's been, erm, emptied far enough. Thankfully, I can stay at home today.

Cheers to all...

• RMweb Gold

I was awake and drinking decaff tea at 0300, but I've still had something over 6 hrs sleep so can't complain - sometimes it's bound to be a bit like that at present. Lovely morning here, and not even too chilly. Insurance man due at 2 - he who represents Deb's claim against the lorry driver from 2008. I hope he's going to be able to tell me what happens about outstanding monies on that claim. Fingers crossed!

• Like 3

Hmm, must be something going around the ER's lately. Woke up in the middle of the night feeling like crap. Massive headache too. Not good. Working from home today so I can at least lie down in the dark for a bit when needed.

Guest Max Stafford

Well it's most definitely raining here. It's my days off though, then I'm only in Tuesday and Wednesday then off for two weeks! Today though, I'm off up the hill to assist our Ops Director with some photos in the Steele Road, Hawick and Shankend areas.

After that I intend to put salt in someone's tea, tie a few beighbours' doors together, knock them and run away.

Dave.

• Like 1

Morning All,

I'm back in Basel, back at work and back on the diet...

One of the joys of my regular visits to London is the "Full English": sausages (at least two), black pudding slices (ditto), mushrooms (loads), scrambled eggs and fried bread. Baked Beans, whilst undeniably popular, never appear on my plate as I consider them the gastronomic equivalant of wearing combat boots with a Dior creation and fried potatoes are a Colonial Abomination With Which I Will Have No Truck...

My Basel breakfast (65g brown bread, 30g lean meat meat, 180g yoghurt and coffee with semi-skimmed milk), is most insubstantial in comparision.

Weather is very Autumnal, pity I have to be in an office...

• RMweb Gold

I'm back in Basel, back at work and back on the diet...

One of the joys of my regular visits to London is the "Full English": sausages (at least two), black pudding slices (ditto), mushrooms (loads), scrambled eggs and fried bread. Baked Beans, whilst undeniably popular, never appear on my plate as I consider them the gastronomic equivalant of wearing combat boots with a Dior creation and fried potatoes are a Colonial Abomination With Which I Will Have No Truck...

My Basel breakfast (65g brown bread, 30g lean meat meat, 180g yoghurt and coffee with semi-skimmed milk), is most insubstantial in comparision.

That isn't 'insubstantial' - it's an insult to a healthy appetite. Fortunately notwithstanding a couple of 'slightly off the mark' test results I've been given this morning I'm told by my Doctor to 'carry on as normal' (while wondering what exactly GFR is?).

And breakfast was another good point of the recent voyage - free choice ordered in advance (although I did have the beans on the day I had the 'full English' notwithstanding the foreign origin of that habit).

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Black pudding didn't seem to be available at breakfast on our recent holiday but it did appear as a starter or as an accessory to some main courses at dinner. Breakfast choice was interesting. If you so desired you could have breakfast in one of the more formal restaurants, very peaceful, beautifully served and presented but quite small portions, or alternatively the slightly more frenetic pace of self service which did have the advantage of being open longer! Matthew always went to the self service as he could get exactly what he wanted which seemed to be a small bucket of tropical fruit and then a large bowl of what looked remarkably like hamster food.

Tony

• Like 1

I'm told by my Doctor to 'carry on as normal' (while wondering what exactly GFR is?).

Well, that's good news.

GFR probably means Glomerular Filtration Rate - a measure of the volume of fluid filtered by the kidney (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Renal_function#Glomerular_filtration_rate for an overview)

I agree my breakfast is microscopic, alas I am not.

• Like 1

Morning all!

Completed the Great North Run yesterday in (a sedate) 2 hours 48 minutes. Was running with my friend Aileen and didn't want to lose her! We missed finding our other friend at the start, and never managed to meet up, couldn't get hold of each other on the phone at the start, then they closed the starting pens for green and white runners early, so we ended up right at the back in with the pink numbers.

The sight of the 9-formation Red Arrows going straight over us along the start line was quite amazing and everyone cheered and waved. They came back over us again before we'd crossed the start line to do the iconic shot of them coming over the Tyne Bridge as the masses are just beginning to cross it. After that, the Red Arrows returned to Newcastle Airport, where one of their pilots got a fast car back to the back of the field, and ran the half marathon in full flying kit. There was a display from the 7-formation Arrows as we were approaching South Shields.

It took us 55 minutes from the gun going off for the elite men and masses to even get across the start line, but I managed to high-five Greg Rutherford and Kath Copeland who were very patiently still at the start line high-fiving as many runners as they could even after nearly an hour.

Fantastic fun, and thanks to everyone's generosity, we've raised well over £500 already for the British Heart Foundation.

post-6964-0-82294300-1347873945_thumb.jpg

Aileen and I at Marsden Rock

• Like 7

Well done Mike for completing the course for such a good cause. You should feel reet proud right now!

I looked out for you for a bit, but then realised I should at least have asked what colour top you were wearing. With 40,000 runners it was a real needle in a haystack job...

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

That isn't 'insubstantial' - it's an insult to a healthy appetite.

I wonder what you chaps would make of my bowl of crunchy muesli-ish cereal and a glass of orange, then? That's been my normal breakfast for the past 8 years, albeit I then have a couple of cups of strong coffee during the morning. Still slightly under 11 stone, and somewhere towards 6 feet.

Well done to Mike for his run, and the money raised! I like the fact that the runner's name is on the number board, too - adds a personal touch.

• Like 1

Well done, Mike!

Not sure about the knees though.

Broken sleep here, too.

Up before 4am (thirsty) and, on the way back to bed I managed to knock a knife block off the kitchen worktop.

Twelve knives bouncing on the kitchen floor seemed to disturb SWMBO's sleep too as she then arose and asked if I'd slammed a door.

Our nearest neighbour has just acquired a 7 month old Welsh Sheepdog.

SWMBO swore she could hear it howling.

(It was probably me wiping the blood off my foot).

Edited to add anecdote and to suggest Il Dottore becomes acting unpaid medical advisor - ERs seem to need one these days.

Hope he doesn't prescribe black pudding.

Edited by DDolfelin
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Monday morning greetings ,

well done to Mike , no wonder you get knee problems though , :jester:

I doubt i'd make the first hundred yards without a cardiac arrest so I should'nt take the

proverbial .

I've had my cornflakes , now it's wait for a sandwich for lunch then whatever is in the

fridge or freezer for this evening . If I want a good fried breakfast I pop into one of the

eateries in town and get someone else to cook it . Saves on the washing up too .

Right best go and try to achieve something for the day .

Hope today is the start of a good week for everyone .

• Like 1

1. I was musing over the weekend by the attitude shown by British modellers (not any ER member, I hasten to add) to North American or Continental layouts. I don't know why but the standard of finish (for want of a better word) is very high on these layouts yet often when exhibited in the UK people walk straight past them to see a somewhat mediocre British layout (or one that looks just like another).

It may well happen in the 'States too in reverse - but as Exhibitions don't exist over here that are comparable to the British example (due to sheer size of the country) it's hard to say.

2. I decided to edit out part 2. I was concerned I had imbibed too much mescal (tequila) last night.

Have a nice day! Pete.

Edited by trisonic

I wonder what you chaps would make of my bowl of crunchy muesli-ish cereal and a glass of orange, then? That's been my normal breakfast for the past 8 years, albeit I then have a couple of cups of strong coffee during the morning. Still slightly under 11 stone, and somewhere towards 6 feet.

Well done to Mike for his run, and the money raised! I like the fact that the runner's name is on the number board, too - adds a personal touch.

Surely you drop the halo occasionally and indulge in a cooked breakfast for a treat, perhaps when en Angleterre?!

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I can remember when I weighed about 11 stone - then i went from a 'frequently outdoors' area level job to a 'usually indoors' area level job and the rot set in, getting even worse after I went to RHQ of course and in my final years of big railway employment not at all helped by massive lunches in SNCF and SNCB canteens (although they invariably followed skimpy breakfasts which would make Flavio's home versions look positively gargantuan).

• RMweb Gold

I was so pleased at finally managing to achieve 11 stone (after years of being very thin) that I just kept on going. Probably time to start back down towards 11 stone again. (I had to run a conversion program as I've been used to describing my weight in kilos for so long now).