The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Morning all ,

nice photo's Mike , I might have to sell up and move on board permanantly ,

thats ' posher ' than my place , I mean , carpets and curtains , I have to decide

on one or the other .

And three meals a day would be really nice .

Sun is shining here but it was noticably cooler earlier , I'll see if it's warmed up

when I go for the papers .

Have a good day all .

• RMweb Gold

And this morning driving in to work noticed the swallows gathering on the wires ...

Talking of swallows these three youngsters were seen sitting in a veg garden on Lundy and twittering loudly as they were fed by mum & dad swooping down every few minutes to deliver the latest tasty morsel I'm not sure when these will be ready to head away.

post-6859-0-47538000-1347528375_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I've just received an offer by email from DFDS

Special deals

Harwich to Esbjerg

Take an exciting short break to enjoy a taste of the vibrant Dutch capital and get a unique journey at sea too.

Edited by Tony_S

Morning all North Wales is cool with sunny spells (at least on the coast) first day off for a while so catching up.Just come back from the docs yearly MOT.Mmm rather indifferent aint getting older a ######. Still on the bright side I woke up this morning.Trying to make some pease pudding like my mams.

Enjoy the day nay. Sieze the day

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

.Trying to make some pease pudding like my mams.

I'm not normally prone to squeamishness but the thought of what my mother presented as pease pudding about 50 years ago still makes me shudder. Has it not become trendy again? I'm sure I saw a mention of it recently on a menu. I think I went for the black pudding accompanied by mushy pea veloute on that occasion.

• Like 1

I've just received an offer by email from DFDS

Special deals

Harwich to Esbjerg

Take an exciting short break to enjoy a taste of the vibrant Dutch capital and get a unique journey at sea too.

Seems someone needs a geography lesson and some knowledge of European capital cities....

Seems someone needs a geography lesson and some knowledge of European capital cities....

Ah, but maybe their "cafe's" still serve Englishmen........

Still it would make me feel more secure in their knowledge of Navigation if they got their countries right.

A job for Cap'n Mike, I think.

I once sailed with my compadres from Harwich to the Hook and shared a table in the bar with the Irish Cultural Attache to Copenhagen.

None of could stand by the time we arrived and they had had to push our respective cars off to one side of the ferry.

Best, Pete.

Edited by trisonic

Re - pease pudding I'm not one of the trendies I think it's like Marmite. I have always liked it, and it turned out fine.I usually have it cold but couldn't resist a tatser whilst hot,it took this 56 yr old back 50 yrs!! I even remeberd the old rhyme.

So if weather gets a tad cooler I think a ham shank will be on the go time for some proper broth

• Like 1

A belated 'morning all', although it feels like the middle of the night to me as I finished work at 9am and still haven't been to bed yet...!

Thought I might get an hour or two's kip on the engine at Banbury before my relief turned up, but the offloader chappies are so efficient down there that we spent nearly two hours running round on the up side and shunting over on the down... it was a beautiful sky over Oxon though so it was all done under a lovely canvas of early Autumn light, and I did manage to get some reasonable piccies between shunts... need to shrink them a bit before I can post them though due to the 2MB per file limit. It really is a joy working at Banbury with three different types of signal controlled by two 'boxes and their friendly Bobbies, with colour lights, upper quad and lower quad semaphores. A couple of hours before I took my train down my mate had worked another down to Oxford and reported seeing crystal clear stars over Cropredy, I looked up as I passed through and blimey the heavens looked stunning. One of the best things about this job is seeing your surroundings in a different light and watching the seasons change... it's really quite humbling sometimes ;)

• Like 2

You have a pretty wonderful job Nidge. Driving trains and getting to see the beautiful daybreak each morning. I must admit that's one of the things I do miss about not flying these days. The views early morning and early evening were often spectacular.

If ever you need some company early morning, let me know.... ;)

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I'm pleased Mike managed to find that errant buoy.

I would imagine it could cause some damage to a small vessel.

That fellow in the wellies hooking a buoy looks to have a hazardous job in high seas.

No H&S line attached?

Hooking that Canadian buoy was a very ticklish operation and definitely very near their normal operating limit for buoy work (possibly even a bit beyond it?) - there was a lot of discussion between Captain and 1st Officer about the way they would tackle it).

They all wear lifebelts (and other PPE) when working there but I think a safety line would get in the way and cause more trouble than it would solve as there are lines, slings, and chains all over the place when buoy handling. That deck feels rather near the sea when you're on it as the pic below might show (taken during our 'guided tour' when there were no buoy ops in progress so it was safe for us to go there and we only had a head wind at about Force 3 - and fortunately not on the same 'guided tour' as our visit to the Ward Room bar :O

post-6859-0-40315500-1347545601_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

. A couple of hours before I took my train down my mate had worked another down to Oxford and reported seeing crystal clear stars over Cropredy, I looked up as I passed through and blimey the heavens looked stunning. One of the best things about this job is seeing your surroundings in a different light and watching the seasons change... it's really quite humbling sometimes ;)

Similarly clear skies over Torbay last night. Wish I knew more about the stars and could recognise the various constellations. Magical.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Similarly clear skies over Torbay last night. Wish I knew more about the stars and could recognise the various constellations. Magical.

Astronomy is one of those things I wish I knew more about. I can't remember the names of stars in the constellations and can only name a few obvious ones. I've got a computer program on one of my other laptops that is very good. If you want to know what something is you can tell it to show the direction you are looking in and name the star or planet. I'll find the laptop and see what the program is called.

• Like 1

If you've got a smart phone (as opposed to a stupid one I guess) there are a couple of really good cheap and free apps. I use SkyView free and Night Sky. Just point at the sky and it identifies what ever you are looking at. Skyview also tracks Hubble and the ISS. I used to be really good at astronomy but living in the light polluted UK my star spotting isn't what it used to be.
  • Like 1