The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

Do people still pick wild berries? I have walked through masses of blackberries of late, all ripe, all above dog hind quarter level, non picked. Warm blackberry pie, cooked by MiL, using blackberries picked by FiL, was something looked forward to every year in our family. Sadly neither are any longer with us but the pies are still talked about at this time of year.

Hereabouts, where people still seem to know the value of money, probably earn a bit less than some Brits, the hedgerows are alive with people picking blackberries. Supermarkets are promoting Kilner-type jars and preserving pans etc, sugar is very prominent. And we are, after all, only 100 miles from Paris.

• RMweb Premium

Gosh! I've just replaced the back-box on my Skoda Fabia turbodiesel for the first time, at more than 10 years old. AFAIK the rest is ok - otherwise they'd have sold me those bits, too. The naturally-oily nature of diesel should be less destructive on exhausts than petrol, I would have thought?

It is the later diesels that have particulate filters which are complex, expensive and restrictive. Cars in the future will be scrapped when the filter gives up the ghost for the second time.

• RMweb Gold

Blackberry bushes seem to be well stocked this year. I always used to give a few we collected to Matthew's rats. They loved them though they did look like something from a horror movie until they cleaned their face and paws.

Ian, I think Mick may be referring to the particulate filters fitted on modern diesel exhausts, though I haven't had any problems with the one on my car. We have had the petrol fuelled Clio long enough to need a new catalytic convertor though.

Edit

Crossed with Mick's post.

I do a lot of short journeys in my diesel but the occasional trip round to Enfield to see MiL must be enough to clear the filter. I've never even had a warning light yet.

If I only did the local stuff I'd go for one of the new super efficient petrol engined vehicles if that were the only criterion. My car choice now was what was comfortable and the most comfy one I found only had a diesel engine!

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 2

We`ve got blackberries growing just across the street in front of our house. It`s remarkable how many dog-walkers, commuters going home etc. stop to pick a handful. And there have been several bigger `harvestings` done this year. We also have a lot growing in the school grounds behind us, but picking those means keeping a sharp lookout for bears (see the `Getting close to wildlife`thread).

• RMweb Gold

Indeed, my Skoda may be a bit out-of-date - but at the time that UK tax was first based upon pollution levels, I paid the lowest rate, so effective was the filter, and it had passed the French MOT last November at exactly 10 years of age.

On a different subject - I`ve just found out from the 1910 US census that I had more relatives than I knew about working on the Union Pacific at Cheyenne, Wyoming in that year. I knew my grandfather had been there (that`s who I was looking up), but two of his brothers-in-law were, too. One is listed as an ``air brake inspector``, the other is a ``railroad shop machinist``.

• RMweb Gold

I did check and my car is permitted to enter London. My Land Rover is classed as a car but some 4*4 mainly twin cab pickup types are treated differently depending on what sort of diesel is fitted. I think Euro iV is OK. My car has a green 4 sticker for Germany. Not very expensive and i believe it is valid for the life of the windscreen.

The first place I ever saw hot hatch diesels was in France, I suppose the relative price of diesel then made them an attractive purchase.

• RMweb Gold

Afternoon all,

Glorious sunshine over the Berks & Hants today, nipped down there after work on the spur of the moment to find a few favourite spotting locations had changed very little since I was last there six years ago, in fact aside from the vegetation being a bit taller and wider, Little Bedwyn still looks as though a Western could appear at any monent on the Down Rivo, or maybe a Westbury stone train...

post-7638-0-37113700-1347382939_thumb.jpg

post-7638-0-29877000-1347383010_thumb.jpg

Thanks for posting, really enjoyed a reminder of happy days living in Hungerford and popping down to the B&H on a nice evening after work, not to mention the pub at Little Bedwyn which was a real old one roomer. Heres a couple of oddities for you in return, plus one to prove I can take a nice photo if the conditions allow!:

1663 28/11/81 55016 gordon highlander deltic Devonian railtour

post-12721-0-44727500-1347390974_thumb.jpg

2102 30/04/83 1014 hastings 6 railtour

post-12721-0-15018000-1347390993_thumb.jpg

3233 18/07/88 56036 in petroleum sector livery on stone empties

post-12721-0-02092200-1347391103_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

On my local railway line anything other than a Class 357 train is very rare. Today Robbie (he wasn't interested though) and I were treated to the sight of a Class 66 (even I know that one, mainly due to the big number on the side) heading west with a few very well weathered trucks.

• RMweb Gold

The first place I ever saw hot hatch diesels was in France, I suppose the relative price of diesel then made them an attractive purchase.

Diesels can be very driveable. Mine is only 100bhp, but does have some punch. A decade ago, Deb and I were staying in the Mayenne, and a friend came to stay. He and I were out and about in the Skoda when we encountered a tractor on a hill, I slowed down behind it, friend said it looked ok to overtake (RHD car, of course, so a passenger always helps) so I booted it past in second. Friend was astonished, said he didn't think his car could have done that - a 174 bhp VW Golf VR6! Diesel here is currently just below 1 euro 40 a litre, petrol a dozen cents more, at least. This tankful looks likely to give me about 60mpg, albeit with a lot of longer x-country trips.
  • Like 1

My poor old petrol Focus is reaching the end of its lifespan already (it's 12 and has done close on 150,000 miles), and I'm thinking of replacing with a diesel, as I do a lot of longer trips (50 miles each way to Glasgow on a weekly basis, plus 120 miles Edinburgh-Durham or 150 miles Glasgow-Durham at least monthly) and the price of petrol is just taking the piston just now...

A Ford (Focus) C-Max diesel looks like a possible at the moment.

Morning all,

It is rather grey this morning, after a night of rain. It looks like Summer has come to an end!

I used to drive a Diesel in the UK before it got stolen. A great car it was too - much more punch than anything else I could have afforded to insure at the time. Diesels had a reputation for being slow, and so I guess the youngsters didn't want them. These days, I drive a petrol. Road tax is considerably more expensive for Diesel in Germany, and the difference in price doesn't make it economical until you are doing many more kilometers a year than I am.

Have a good day everyone...

• RMweb Gold

Emergency day off today to take No 1 son to the docs.

Having been clear for 5 years he had quite a big epilectic fit yesterday evening, which has left us all a bit shaken, as we thought he'd grown out of it.

Ah, well.

• RMweb Premium

Morning all, nearly put the heating on this morning it is dry with a bit of watery sunshine but under 10C still.Better news on the work front so I may work long enough to retire yet. I always expected to work to 65 to help DD2 through uni but the speed that local government is contracting makes working where I am that long unlikely..

Sorry to hear that, Stu.

Maybe something triggered it which can be avoided?

Best of luck today.

Welcome Mark.

You don't have to be mad to post on ERs. Worth a try though.

I've never seen the Illuminations when it's dry.

Always a damp outlook.

I once bought some of their cast-offs though.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Morning all, first time appeared on this thread, day off and can't sleep!!

Hi Mark and welcome. I haven't been on here very long, either, but it is a jolly cosy place and the people are very, very warm. You'll like it. As I said to Andy Y in a PM the other day, ERs is the sort of thread the Mods don't need to take a lot of interest in - it's that friendly and most unlikely to generate heat instead of warmth.
  • Like 4