The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Morning all,

Ian, glad to hear that things went as well as could be expected, just (from experience) don't try and bottle the tears..

Now geographically half way through my trip...not to much rail wise today, apart from a stuffed & mounted SW1000 & a couple of caboose's . Pics later.

• Like 1

Well I waited, and waited and waited until the cricket started afterr 9:00 my time. I watched some early wickets fall (Levy with first ball!)

But then went to bed :sleepclear: (Where is a "snooze" smiley?)

On the news this morning said there was no decision. What does that mean? Did rain again terminate play?

O.K. Heard another news bulletin which explained all.

Next game tomorrow. I hope it's earlier but since it's a week day it will probably be the sam.

Edited by DonBradley

Morning all..... :yahoo_mini:

Sat glued to the TV watching Murray until 2.45am and still bloomin' woke up at 6.30. Brilliant game and it great to see another hoodoo laid to rest. 76 years since a Brit won a grand slam tennis event and it really was 5 hours of hell with massive swings in the fortunes of both players.

• RMweb Premium

Morning all, decided long ago Murray played better when I didn't watch so when he was 2 up in the fifth I went to sleep. Great that he went on to win, not before time but the sideshow Bob nickname bites the dust. After last nights rain we have a sunny start to today but it is chilly.

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

Sunny and quite breezy here though I have been told it will rain later. We have too many pears, tomatoes and courgettes to just pick and eat at the moment so I'll be cooking for freezing today. Spiced pears poached in cider, and I'll make something like ratatouille. Aditi got the other ingredients yesterday. She has decided this year she really is going to take a breakat lunchtime and has been exploring the shops in Stratford. The newsagent sells nice aubergines.

Tony

• RMweb Premium

Morning all ,

weather , undecided , hazy sun and grey cloud , cooler again .

Looks like Mike is bobbing around near Clovelly today , he vanished off the radar yesterday,

made me wonder if they were doing ' submarine ' work .

Nice to see Murray get his win at last , you cant say he has'nt worked for it .

• RMweb Gold

First real rain here in many weeks. We do need it as the lawns are looking a bit brown in places, and the weeds are doing better than the grass. Haven't needed to mow in 4 weeks. It might also bring up a bit of grass in the paddock - the horses have needed an extra feed daily for several weeks, plus hay. Grass is a lot cheaper!

I have a large bonfire, just waiting to be lit. Sadly, my commune - maybe more authorities generally - has now banned them, citing neighbour-nuisance (not an issue for me, being a bit remote) and environmental aspects. Hmmm. I may need to borrow a trailer to go tot he local dump- or hope the Mayor looks the other way.....

Morning all (just). Network was playing up when I tried to get on earlier, but seems to be ok now after a meeting.

Dry and bright but cool in Edinburgh today. Need to get a birthday card for Mum for Saturday, Clintons were rubbish (not to mention overpriced), and Card Factory didn't have anything great. At least I have the presents bought, that's the important bit!

Hi Guys....Little tale to tell you. SiL and family came up from Selsey at the weekend. Their Volvo Estate started misfiring a few miles away from us, so they limped here and called the AA to sort it out. They turned up within the hour and spent another hour trying to solve it. It would appear he couldn't get much info from the diagnostic output so gave up and arranged their Relay service to take them home with the car on tow behind. The next day BiL takes it to his local mechanic who changes the Distributor Cap and HT lead and job done....

We really must be in the plug and play world when an AA guy can't even diagnose the simplest of faults if they are unable to get a diagnostic trace. I wonder what they teach 'em these days......

• Like 1

Afternoon all,

Glorious sunshine over the Berks & Hants today, nipped down there after work on the spur of the moment to find a few favourite spotting locations had changed very little since I was last there six years ago, in fact aside from the vegetation being a bit taller and wider, Little Bedwyn still looks as though a Western could appear at any monent on the Down Rivo, or maybe a Westbury stone train...

post-7638-0-37113700-1347382939_thumb.jpg

post-7638-0-29877000-1347383010_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

Gordon. Volvos and distributor caps ! Happy days (not). Ours consistently gave trouble at any change in the temperature or if the car wasn't used for a couple of days. I always kept a spare. We had a really fraught holiday in Brittany with it before I realised it was the distributor cap problem. I was convinced we would be coming home on the Relay truck but it behaved perfectly until it nearly stranded us at a right turn across a dual carriage way in Basildon. I sold it for its numberplate. Fortunately cars with distributor caps are a thing of the past to me now.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Don't eat the blackberries until they are ripe.

Do people still pick wild berries? I have walked through masses of blackberries of late, all ripe, all above dog hind quarter level, non picked. Warm blackberry pie, cooked by MiL, using blackberries picked by FiL, was something looked forward to every year in our family. Sadly neither are any longer with us but the pies are still talked about at this time of year.

I suspect it might be less onerous to pick the berries from the freezer at the supermarket.

Edited by BoD

• RMweb Gold

Having got a diesel Zafira I have to say if I was buying one it would be a petrol. Modern exhaust systems seem full of traps for the unwary on diesels and the mpg is not that much better.

Gosh! I've just replaced the back-box on my Skoda Fabia turbodiesel for the first time, at more than 10 years old. AFAIK the rest is ok - otherwise they'd have sold me those bits, too. The naturally-oily nature of diesel should be less destructive on exhausts than petrol, I would have thought?