The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

Deb wanted her ashes scattered on the Mulsanne Straight, the most famous part of the Le Mans circuit, but scattering human ashes on a road is specifically illegal, as is keeping them in an urn at home these days, strangely. The Funeral Director obviously has to stay within the law, but he will seek a legal solution - can't fault that.

Banking continues to be a worry. Nationwide, where my pension is paid, doesn't seem to want to help much, or at least their Bereavement Dept doesn't - "We can''t deal with it over the phone" which is no doubt why they don't advertise their number. They may still be a Mutual - but there isn't much warmth from this far away.

Hi Ian.

My mother had so many little bank accounts and policies my brother had to deal with them all when our mother died. NatWest were fantastic. Many of the others less so. The probate dept of one that would only talk to my mother and couldn't understand why that wasn't possible. It was a UK based office.

I do hope you manage the ash scattering. I'm sure you'll think of something.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

In my local Home Depot I noticed that Stanley now produce a "Pick and Hook Set" No. 82-115. These are far stronger than the dental ones. It includes:"Full Hook", "Angle Hook" 90Degree Hook and straight pick.

Probably get arrested for "going prepared for burglary" if that offence still exists (or even ever did!).

• RMweb Gold

Which reminds me of Arnie in Total Recall and seeing it in NY (about the same time as Pretty Woman was released) with an old dear in front turning to her husband and saying that she thought it was supposed to be a nice film with Richard Gere in it. :s

We went with my mother in law to see 2001. Afterwards she wanted to know "where were the spotty puppy dogs?"

• Like 4

Logging on a bit late today - other matters a trifle pressing! I went and saw the funeral director, got a date and time - Monday at 11 - and we sorted through the details. I'm desperately trying to keep the event small and bootiful, so was a bit hacked off (that's the printable version) when a UK friend rang up and asked if he could come and stay, and would I mind picking him up from the station (25 miles). Suffice to say he will not be attending! Just at this moment I need a bit of TLC, not to be providing it to someone who on his last visit in July couldn't even be bothered to bring his breakfast tray back downstairs after I'd fed him in bed!

Deb wanted her ashes scattered on the Mulsanne Straight, the most famous part of the Le Mans circuit, but scattering human ashes on a road is specifically illegal, as is keeping them in an urn at home these days, strangely. The Funeral Director obviously has to stay within the law, but he will seek a legal solution - can't fault that.

Banking continues to be a worry. Nationwide, where my pension is paid, doesn't seem to want to help much, or at least their Bereavement Dept doesn't - "We can''t deal with it over the phone" which is no doubt why they don't advertise their number. They may still be a Mutual - but there isn't much warmth from this far away.

On the other hand the responses here, not to mention several PMs and Facebook postings, are positively toasty! Honoured that Andy Y is setting up a donation option, as it means that Deb's death is not entirely in vain. Another UK-based forum to which Deb was a key contributor is doing something similar, which is marvellous.

I'm still paddling through a huge mess, but am confident that there is a shore on the other side. Oddly, the beautiful morning today made me smile a bit - as did the yak or whatever tethered by my car in the car park in Bonnetable. It and the camels are part of the travelling circus there this week, although I probably won't go......

Maybe if a person was to stroll along said track with a hole in his pocket , things tend to fall out unnoticed ???

• RMweb Premium

Logging on a bit late today - other matters a trifle pressing! I went and saw the funeral director, got a date and time - Monday at 11 - and we sorted through the details. I'm desperately trying to keep the event small and bootiful,...

Ian, like many others on here I can't claim to know you in person. But I'm sure you know now that there's a big bunch of virtual mates rooting for you.

With your permission I'll take a moment's break at 11 next Monday.

I'm sure others may do so, too.

We're all here for you whenever you need us, and in particular on Monday.

Andy

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

I too was going to suggest the new (?) chicane on the Straight, but Pete beat me to it in post 28785.

Hope you can find an acceptable solution.

Sorry, chaps. The bit I've failed to make clear is that I don't get my hands on the ashes! The FD holds those in an urn on my behalf, and HE may scatter them in approved locations. Between us I think we will find a way to meet the spirit of the departed's wish.......
  • Like 7

• RMweb Gold

Sorry, chaps. The bit I've failed to make clear is that I don't get my hands on the ashes! The FD holds those in an urn on my behalf, and HE may scatter them in approved locations. Between us I think we will find a way to meet the spirit of the departed's wish.......

Good man - we are ERs, nothing beats us!

edit - um, except I wasn't up early enough today to properly be an ER.

Edited by PhilH
  • Like 2

Ian Ihope you are able to get some rest I found when I was in a similar situation the brain would not shut down and even when I did get some sleep

I was not rested. Phill it is always early some ware :O

Laurence

Edited by laurenceb
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Evening All

Logged on tonight as soon as I got back, and I guessed from the number of ER posts that Ian's news was not going to be good. By this time, all the words have been said, and I can just add my condolences and those of Elaine. I'm very pleased that some practical steps have been taken via this (and other) forum to remember Deb, and I am sure that these will be successful.

Ian, you'll have good days, and bad days, and in between days - whatever day you're having, we're still here for you. I'll get on tomorrow and will have more time to read everything in a bit more depth.

Regards to All

Stewart

• Like 4

Ian, so sorry to hear your news, I cannot add any more to what others have said so succinctly.....

On a brighter note..... 20 odd hours after leaving Nigeria got to Vancouver, was taken for fish n chips on a waterfront at Stevenson. What was sailing by.......freight cars on a barge / "car float"? . Now in Revelstoke having been round the Railway museum.........photos later.....I'm not tired , guess I'm still running on adrenalin, ????? Photo's later.

Travelin Trev .

• Like 1

Steveston, Trev, Steveston! I don't know how much time you'll have tomorrow, but the old loops at Loop Brook campground (just off the Trans-Canada on the west side of Rogers Pass) and the walk past the old showsheds just west of Rogers Pass summit itself are worth seeing.

• RMweb Premium

Morning all...

Mackerel sky and decidedly more chilly than it used to be just a few days ago - we're down to just about 9°C. It does look like we're on the road to autumn, especially since the first leaves are beginning to turn yellow. Where has all the time gone...?

Good morning all.

THE Sun is up in a clear blue sky and it's warm already (21C in my room) and I slept with my window open all night..

I think Spring is springing, although there will still be cold wet spells at some times during the month.

I've lost track of time and dates! Is Mike already aboard Patricia?

Thanks for the update Trev. Enjoy! :stinker:

Morning all....Mike awakes with a view of the sun coming up over Milford Haven refinery. I suspect he sampled a few ports last night. Fascinating following his progress via GPS. Nothing is a secret anymore.

Trev, there is a model railway exhibition/museum on Granville Island in the centre of Vancouver. It a typical large layout, with loads of winding tracks, totally freelance but well done, all in 0 gauge from memory. A massive collection of railway stuff and loads of ship models.

Oh ######, just dug out the link and they say it closed in 2008. What a shame...

http://66.51.163.6/trains/index_flash.cfm

Good morning all.

THE Sun is up in a clear blue sky and it's warm already (21C in my room) and I slept with my window open all night..

I think Spring is springing, although there will still be cold wet spells at some times during the month.

I've lost track of time and dates! Is Mike already aboard Patricia?

Thanks for the update Trev. Enjoy! :stinker:

Don, you can follow Mike's progress here...He left on Wednesday.

http://www.marinetra...10&type_color=9

Edited by gordon s