The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

I hadn't been up to speed with Ian's sad news until he dropped me a PM this morning and the speed of events is very saddening. I'm a hard old git but I have to admit this has genuinely made me weep. Of course I didn't know Debs but I have met Ian and he's just as he is on here, charming, considerate and level-headed. I do feel so genuinely sorry for you chap.

As you said in the email the most appropriate way of marking Debs' passing is to support a cancer charity. When your'e able to do let me know what you choose and we'll use the site to make a little good come from such a tragedy.

You've got an army of friends on here who'll do anything we can for you although the most you'll probably want us to do is listen to you so feel free to bend our ears.

• Like 16

• RMweb Gold

My condolences Ian, our thoughts are with you at this time. Wholly agree with Andy's comments about a fundraiser etc in the fullness of time.

We may be only cyber friends but I hope that the support from the site can help you someway in this terrible time.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I don't think there is one single right way of dealing with situations like yours, Ian, so I guess what it always comes down to is taking every day, every hour, as it comes, because it will be alright in the end.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

All that, and the upper lip never quivered. Read your warmth on here and I'm off!t

Let it flow, it's all part of the process.

Deb and I became an item 39 years ago this week. At that time, my mother was on her last legs with cancer on the liver.....

....and now you've got me going.

• Like 2

Due to what I do for a living, death has been part and parcel of my job. And when you work in Oncology, you are always aware of how this disease devastates people, both patients and the families. A friend, Oncologist and colleague of mine who I respect greatly told me something that may help: sometimes Death comes as a thief and we must stop him from stealing, but sometimes Death comes as a friend and we must step aside and welcome him...

Death is the liberator of him whom freedom cannot release, the physician of him whom medicine cannot cure, and the comforter of him whom time cannot console.

CHARLES CALEB COLTON

My condolences

F

edited for formatting

Edited by iL Dottore
  • Like 4

There is little I can add to the warm, supportive messages on here. As someone has said, the pain is over for Deb but for you the healing will take longer. And it can be the little things that can start the tears. But that is part of the grieving and cannot be denied. Along with your many friends on here and beyond, I'm sending caring thoughts. I'm sure you find all the concern being shown of great comfort.

Look after yourself and I hope you continue to receive helpful advice from the Funeral Directors et al as you deal with the aftermath of your loss. It must be eight years this week since you and Deb moved to France!

Strange to think of these "anniversaries".

Take care, Ian.

x

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Death is the liberator of him whom freedom cannot release, the physician of him whom medicine cannot cure, and the comforter of him whom time cannot console.

CHARLES CALEB COLTON

I never heard this quote before, but it certainly is a very concise descriptive of what usually appears to be something that cannot be described in any appropriate way.

You've been very strong for Deb, Ian.

Nothing wrong with letting go a bit now.

Just deal with the things you must and don't hide away.

All the same it's a bluddy time for you and only more time will help a little.

My deepest respects.

• Like 8

Ian dropped me a line a little earlier to nominate Imperial Cancer Research as an appropriate charity. This is now part of Cancer Research UK and I've set up a JustGiving page to channel any donations from any forum members or readers who want to chuck some online coppers in the hat for a worthy cause. Any donations go straight to the charity and they do all of the Gift Aid work where necessary so it's simple and guaranteed.

RMweb always has been a community and we do share the triumphs and heartbreak of those community members even though they may not be a physical or conventional friend. I know a good number of people who know Ian through RMweb and several members have got to know him on his occasional visits back to England; even if you didn't know Ian it's still a heartbreaking story and it's a worthy cause to support.

The JustGiving page can be found here http://www.justgiving.com/rmweb

Thank you.

• Like 10

Guest Max Stafford

Just logged on and seen this Ian. I'm so sorry mate. I can't wish you more than all your other friends on here and can barely imagine how it must feel when it has come to this in barely no time at all. You will cope with this in your own way and at your own pace, but I wish you the strength to get through this trying time. The good memories of those 39 years will remain with you forever though and will serve as a torch guiding you to the happier times that promise still to come.

Take care mate, we will still be here when you need us.

Dave.

Edited by Max Stafford
  • Like 5